The DAO SE all-FET Class-A ZGF Headphone Amplifier

Following my publication of the article "Alternative Configurations of the Simple JFET Source Follower" in 2008 :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/128571-some-other-source-follower-configurations.html
and the subsequent publishing of the DAO headphone follower circuit using the Loveltech LU1014 power JFET :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...follower-headphone-amplifier.html#post1130743
there has been a few private builds, as well as a few evolutions since the first circuit.

In August this year, we promised to publish an updated version with a few added features. This we now called DAO SE :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...ce-follower-configurations-9.html#post3126245

More information will follow later in the next weeks, but here is a teaser first from our proto build.
It still needs cleaning and then final assembly.
The front hole will take a 5-pin Mini-XLR socket for our AK701 headphone.

:)

Patrick

Attachments

• 121212 DAO Proto 6.jpg
    121212 DAO Proto 6.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 10,132
Two channels of the DAO followers alone dissipate a total of 15W.
And I guess you do not want a headphone amp on your desk at 60°C.
So the heat sink is not too over-dimensioned.

But yes, there is actually enough space to house 2 channels of LM3886 GainClone, plus a 300VA Plitron transformer.

We use a 5-pin Mini-XLR because the AK701 has a 4-wire cable (as any headphone should for best channel separation).
The 4-pin Mini-XLR has a rather asymmetrical pin layout.
Hence the 5-pin.

Patrick

nice work Patrick! why not use the lemo 4 pin? perfectly symmetrical and would seem more in keeping with the quality of your chassis.

the switchcraft mini XLR are very good, I just find the Lemos a higher quality. pricing is a bit better than it used to be now too, since its now more widely available mouser/digikey/markertech etc

Attachments

• portable BII-ES9018-Bal-Bal front_06Nov2012_1383.jpg
    portable BII-ES9018-Bal-Bal front_06Nov2012_1383.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 9,509
  • portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1378.jpg
    portable es9018 w bal jh13_05Nov2012_1378.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 9,272
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Following my publication of the article "Alternative Configurations of the Simple JFET Source Follower" in 2008 :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/128571-some-other-source-follower-configurations.html
and the subsequent publishing of the DAO headphone follower circuit using the Loveltech LU1014 power JFET :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head...follower-headphone-amplifier.html#post1130743
there has been a few private builds, as well as a few evolutions since the first circuit.

In August this year, we promised to publish an updated version with a few added features. This we now called DAO SE :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...ce-follower-configurations-9.html#post3126245

More information will follow later in the next weeks, but here is a teaser first from our proto build.
It still needs cleaning and then final assembly.
The front hole will take a 5-pin Mini-XLR socket for our AK701 headphone.

:)

Patrick

NICE !

:D:D

Great looking work Patrick.

only 2008 for me =) I love them and use them whenever I can. i'll take a finely machined Peek/Copper/Gold connector made for Aerospace/MIL/Nuclear Science, over any 'audiophile quality' XLR made from cryoed petrified Virgins Blood of any price.

when looked at in that light the price is really not bad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Two channels of the DAO followers alone dissipate a total of 15W.
And I guess you do not want a headphone amp on your desk at 60°C.
So the heat sink is not too over-dimensioned.

.. and I have a 200w electrostatic headphone amp on my desk :p

Can't wait for the finalized design, the AMB Beta22 is still my reference headphone amp, nothing surpasses it so far.

oh sure, I just dont quite understand that solution, I cant think of another situation where you would need to cater for both 3 wire and 4 wire cables on the 1 amplifier and if you have this connector and socket on the amplifiers/headphones, you have either built/modified them yourself, or changed the connectors.

So this means the only situation it would help with, would be people who are willing to reterminate their headphones that have a common ground wire, but are not willing to recable them; every other situation can be handled with 4 pin and suitably wired amp/headphone

and honestly I think the world needs another balanced headphone 'standard' like it needs another Pol Pot....

sorry I dont mean to be a pita about this, people will do what they please as you say. I've made this unholy proliferation of different balanced headphone 'standards' a bit of a pet cause and I get on my soap box every time a new one is introduced. We now have something like 6 different connectors in use because everyone wants to be individual, thats ridiculous....

also Lemo make a 5 pin, up to 6-7 pin I think in that 0B size ;)

Last edited:
it means I end up with jobs like this; which i'm not sure is a blessing or a curse... more work, but it means I have to keep more different connectors in stock.

anyway i'll let the thread get back on track, I know of quite a few people that have been waiting for this amp to be made more publicly digestible, I actually get messages about it on head-fi reasonably regularly. I built it up rough point to point (taylored) and like it a lot, but since I prefer balanced and all my sources are balanced, the circlotron version holds more interest for me.

Attachments

• Brett TWSPC swiss army + Jeffry pre_03Apr2012_0758.jpg
    Brett TWSPC swiss army + Jeffry pre_03Apr2012_0758.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 4,107
  • Beyer DT1350 TWSPC balanced recable sm_31Mar2012_0717.jpg
    Beyer DT1350 TWSPC balanced recable sm_31Mar2012_0717.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 3,884
  • Greg cable family photos_19Apr2012_0857.jpg
    Greg cable family photos_19Apr2012_0857.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 3,010
Last edited: