Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

Nice looking pcb.

Are there any other builders who have comments on its audio/music performance?

Let me know what you think and what headphones were used etc.

THx-RNMarsh

Just finished the first listen. I can only say that the performance of this amplifier has gone beyond my wildest expectations:eek:; never heard another SS amplifier so good; this with a "standard" PS(classic 317-337 with preregulation). I'm driving it with a tube preamplifier and it's a mate made in heaven.
Thank you for sharing this project with this forum.
Now i want to change and try the PS with a shunt regulated one. What concerns me a little is the fact that i noted that the power consumption under stress( an input signal of 5V) doubles the idle consumption. Can i still use a shunt PS? Set at what current?
Thanks again and sorry for my bad english.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Thank you for telling us what you heard. Your English is plenty good enough. It also exceeded my expectations. Audio sound hasnt progressed much but this is a quantum leap forward. IMHO, of course.... and I just need to hear from others to verify it.

The current draw is rather high and it should do very well with a shunt reg circuit. In fact it is my favorite PS. But I havent listen to one on this HPA, yet. Since you have listened to it with series, you are in a good position to say how a shunt compared when you apply it.

Depending on load Z and PS voltage used (12-24vdc) I would make the supply capable of at least 400mA for 2 amps and low Z load/headphones.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Putting together a Kevin Gilmore Golden Reference LV power supply (+/-15 vdc or +/-20vdc) for my long set aside Marsh Headphone Amp. The KGGRLV is a series voltage regulator based on a Walter Jung design from an old Audio Amateur article, and the Krell CAST power supply.

http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/12269-goldenreference-low-voltage-power-supply/

With an inexpensive 2x 18 or 24vac, 30 watt R-core from EBay, seems taylor made for the Marsh Headphone Amp.

Just waiting on a few last parts to stuff the PCB. Will report back with results later.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sikahr is not selling the board. He just shared his board layout at the board house (Dirty PCB) so that anyone can order the board from Dirty PCB directly. At $25 for 10 boards shipped, it is quite a bargain, and there is no excuse not to try this wonderful amp. Buy the article from LA, everything is all set then.