Sennheiser HD650 stock cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
no you cant afaik, but then funnily enough even though ive made many senn cables and actually own HD600, ive never reterminated the stock cable, so not sure if its 4 core. i bought mine used and they had no stock cable

stixx: the headroom link doesnt say anything about the stock cable, at least not the page you linked.

Last edited:
'twerks

The stock cable contains two red varnished and two green varnished multistranded copper conductors with some kevlar for strength. Despite being widely maligned and devilishly difficult to solder to a new connector, it works for balanced and one of my HD600 cables is made that way.

For hints on varnish / lacquer removal (and other less salient topics) see
soldering thru the red and green lacquer was difficult.

If you get a gob of solder on the tip of your soldering iron and let the varnished cable sit there for a bit the varnish will burn off (you'll be able to tell when it's smoking) and the cable will be tinned and ready to solder. A higher watt soldering iron probably makes this easier.

The devilIz in the details

No kidding. I will never, ever do that again.

As my eyesight weakens and my hands shake a bit more I will not likely often repeat that task myself.

My efforts to build superior cables for HD-6x0 was a real learning experience about cables and people as well. I was never able to find cable that improved the performance of my Senns despite spending time and money attempting to do so. The stock cable appearance is IMO deceptive.

My hypothesis is as follows. Sennheiser got a rep for flimsy cables years ago so they engineered a flexible kevlar reinforced, dual twisted pair alternative that is light, flexible, and suffers minimal crosstalk but is not puppy proof :eek: The original rep lives on and cable vendors have good reason to perpetuate the old 'news'. While it is true that my hearing is not the greatest anyone suggesting dual shielded cabling ought to be completely ignored. Personally I prefer to not be limited to the 'Y' of the stock cabling but that requires soldering that is only slightly less devilish than those four pin connectors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.