Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

O2 amp CRC, diode, cap, and heatsink mods
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 07:58 AM   #51
Roulston is offline Roulston  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Not sure where else to put this

But what else do you do when your hobbies include, Bow hunting, knife making, electronics and leatherwork.

This pic shows the O2 in a leather case, a small amp in leather and my colorfly likewise in a leather belt clipped case. The O2 case uses the Bamboo front panel.

This is just the O2

And one more for kicks.

I usually use the tactical clip on them for wearing on the belt, I just got to figure out how to keep the amp and source together....I see another man bag that holds my iPad, the amp and the source. Might as well add a 5amp Li-Po battery pack.

I think I am sick,very very sick.

I have a nano, and I am now building a transportable stereo system that will weigh 2kgs. I need an intervention.

Tony
Old 15th February 2012, 07:55 PM   #52
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Tony - hey that is fantastic! The first leather O2. The bamboo front panel is a perfect match for the leather.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:23 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Yeah it is a giggle, the bamboo and leather work well together and look even better in the flesh.

I got the idea from when I was into HAM radio and we had "transportable" radios. These were higher power VHF rigs for mountain topping etc. I built one into a leather case together with power supplies and antenna tuners etc. To save weight I de-boxed all the equipment and built separate compartments in a satchel. Still weighed a lot, but it had fan slots etc.

No wonder I am a steam punk tragic as well.
Old 15th February 2012, 10:25 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

The funny thing is that the Colorfly does not need and external amp as I use either 16 or 32 ohm phones.

Hobbies are not about practical.
Old 16th February 2012, 01:40 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

I used to have a ham radio license too way back when. A two meter + 440mHz handheld Kenwood with autopatch was my baby. Coolest thing on the planet back then to have autopatch access, 7+ years before cell phones, lol. At one time I had one of the original TAPR TNC packet data boards set up too.

Hey that is great that you built a portable high power VHF rig! Talk about carting around some really big batteries.

Last edited by agdr; 16th February 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:06 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Yeah, you know cell phones were what killed radio for me. When you make an international call from a small cell phone the whole radio DX stuff meant nothing.

We did moon bounce for Magellan's centenary and everyone was so disinterested. so you bounced a VHF signal off the moon and used Morse code between AU and the UK? I can have a video call bah bah bah.

The signal was like 30 db below the voice floor, only CW could have done it. I was into sat coms and VHF DX in a big way. Never into AF much though, until know.

The magic just went up like in smoke, just like the money that hobby soaked up. I still have an antenna rotator / elevator in the shed that I just can't part with.
Old 25th February 2012, 11:18 PM   #57
jschristian44 is offline jschristian44
diyAudio Member

AGDR get those parts listed as well as where exactly they go with some pictures or details where to install everything. Want to get this bass boost done so it's all ready when the missing parts come in for my Objective 2.
Old 26th February 2012, 09:47 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Roulston: I had a friend back then who was into moon bounce. Amazing how well the moon works as a reflector. I saw an old newpaper article from WWII days where the military did some of the first moon bounce stuff from a ship in Hawaii over to the states. That was before satelites, so it was apparently a big top-secret thing for a while.

I had some pretty early access to the internet back in the college days, long before it went public-access, which is what killed off the Ham stuff for me. The fun went out of a radio link to Japan when I could just sent an email, lol. Then cell phones!

jschristian44: I'll try to get some photos and a step-by-step writeup on that bass boost up this evening.

Last edited by agdr; 26th February 2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 27th February 2012, 03:24 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default O2 bass boost modification step-by-step

By request, here is a step by step guide to building the bass boost modification.

This build is for the 3dB of boost as described above, using: two 3.0K 1% 1/8W resistors; 1 0.1uF 50V X7R MLCC ceramic axial capacitor; and 1 miniature DPDT switch. These parts are shown in the first photo for ID.

The second photo shows the leads of one of the 3.0K resistors bent at right angles, with a small 1mm or so space between the bend and the resistor body on each end. The other 3.0K resistor and the 0.1uF capacitor are hooked together by first bending one lead of each into a "U" shape with pliers. Then the two U's are coupled together and soldered at a right angle, as shown, to form a "V" shape. Two sections of wire are then cut, stripped, and one end of each soldered to half of the DPDT switch.

The 3rd photo shows the V shaped resistor and capacitor soldered onto the ends of the 3.0K resistor. The free ends of the "V" assembly are bent in a "U" shape with pliers, hooked around the ends of the 3.0K resistor between the right angle bends and the body, then soldered.

The 4th photo shows a closeup of the switch connections.

The 5th and 6th photos show the two free ends of the wires coming from the switch soldered to each end of the capacitor on the "V" shaped assembly, then the whole thing inserted into the O2 PCB holes for R22 and soldered. Twisting the wires at a rate of 3 turns per inch or so would be a good idea before final mounting of the switch.

The other channel would be done the same way with two more 3.0K resistors and another 0.1uF capacitor soldered into a V with wires coming off the capacitor. The two switch contacts just below the two that were used here (same side of the switch) would go to the wires on the other channel. That assembly goes into the hole for R16.

And the final result is... IT ROCKS! I have to say I really like the 3dB bass boost results. Not too much and not too little. Just enough to correct for the natural bass drop-off of the headphones (and probably of my ears). For someone who really is into bass 6dB would be worth trying.

On one hand a person could say that a mod like this goes completely counter to the design philosophy RocketScientist has for the O2, of passing the signal through with no alteration. But on the other hand a case can certainly be made that at some point along the signal chain - source, amp, or separate EQ box - some EQ may be preferable as per personal taste and/or correction of component issues like bass dropoff in a certain model of headphone.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1375.JPG (129.8 KB, 567 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1376.JPG (135.2 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1377.JPG (124.2 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1383.JPG (175.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1378.JPG (175.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1381.JPG (186.9 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1382.JPG (232.6 KB, 265 views)

Last edited by agdr; 27th February 2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:54 AM   #60
jschristian44 is offline jschristian44
diyAudio Member

Hey, you told me to get 1/2 watt resistors. Also, my switch has 3 prongs on it, how would I wire this up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (255.8 KB, 214 views)

O2 amp CRC, diode, cap, and heatsink modsHide this!Advertise here!