Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

RJM Audio Sapphire Desktop Headphone Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2018, 05:53 AM   #1351
ammel68 is offline ammel68  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypodCrow View Post
Hey @rjm, any chance you have some measurements of this amp design? I'd like to compare it to the Objective2 - doing a custom amp build and would like to know which amp will provide the best "reference" listening experience.
LOL...comparing Richard's discrete design to an op-amp design is like comparing apples to oranges.
I've built and listened to both, personally.
In the real world, measurements and sound quality usually have little in common when it comes to your search for the best "reference" listening experience.

The Objective 2 will sound a little more "sterile" than Richard's Sapphire as a result of noticeably weaker bass.
If you don't mind the weaker bass of the Objective 2, then you may consider it the best "reference" listening experience on the planet.

Good luck!
Old 26th January 2018, 07:01 AM   #1352
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

In any event comparative measurements between headphone amplifiers is highly suspect.

I use measurements to check & confirm, never to judge.
Old 8th February 2018, 02:51 AM   #1353
felipeunix is offline felipeunix  Germany
diyAudio Member

@rjm

How did you test in lineout mode?

The positive output signal from the DAC directly into the Sapphire input? Suppressing any opamp in the signal path? How do you recommend?

Best Regards
Old 8th February 2018, 04:15 AM   #1354
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

I used the soundcard line out to the Sapphire input, the Sapphire output back to the soundcard line in.

This will be fine if your soundcard can exceed the Sapphire's distortion performance. That's not a given though, so check the results without the Sapphire in the loop first, then compare with the Sapphire. If no change then you are looking at the sound card performance not the Sapphire and you'll need to find a better soundcard or measurement setup.
Old 8th February 2018, 05:37 AM   #1355
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I mispronounced. My question is not regarding your Sapphire performance test, but about using it as a lineout rather than headphone amplifier.
Do you directly connect the positive output of the converter to the Sapphire input?
How do you suggest this connection?
Old 8th February 2018, 11:08 PM   #1356
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

You mean as a line preamplifier? Or as the output stage of a DAC? That's not the same thing exactly.

Please be a little more specific to describe the application you intend.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:43 PM   #1357
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
You mean as a line preamplifier? Or as the output stage of a DAC?
Output stage of a DAC, unbalanced.

The output of the DAC is balanced, and commonly used op amp to unbalance. How do you suggest using Sapphire at this stage, and eliminate the use of op amp in the signal path?
Old 9th February 2018, 06:05 AM   #1358
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

So the problem there is most DAC output stages have three op amps per channel, two I/V converters, one for each phase, and then one more to filter the signals and convert to unbalanced output.

I don't know how you'd go about integrating the Sapphire into that circuit, though if you can find an output circuit that uses a CFA opamp, you should be able to substitute the Sapphire for that op amp.

I suggest consulting SNOA364c and SNOA365c.
Old 27th February 2018, 08:34 PM   #1359
mswann is offline mswann
diyAudio Member

I am choosing cases for my Phonoclone and Saphire builds and I would appreciate any input.
I only use headphones; other than getting rid of a set of interconnects and sockets, would there be any advantage housing all the circuits in one case?
Could I disregard the output caps on the Phonoclone ?
Would there be any potential issues, such as earthing?
Old 28th February 2018, 03:25 AM   #1360
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

I have no direct experience putting everything in one chassis but there is no reason it shouldn't work, per the usual caveat that the transformer should be as far away from the phono stage as possible.

It is best if you keep both the Phonoclone output cap before the volume control, and the Sapphire input cap after it. The phonoclone output cap prevents ticks and pops when changing volume, the sapphire input cap prevents the output offset voltage varying with volume.

RJM Audio Sapphire Desktop Headphone AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!