The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

Maybe we should split the market into pro and consumer stuff, doing that the statements wouldn't become so sweeping. So, the semipro's will probably allways follow what the pro's uses. The consumers uses what fills their needs and wallets...

actually i think prosumer probably adopt new standards quicker as they arent weighed down so much with a massive investment to change, or a massive client base that expect a certain industry standard to be followed.

i should mention that ive gone from using an RME internal multichannel, to feeding my sabre with the AES from that card, to using the multichannel USB installed in my dac and will continue on that path for the foreseeable future. i dont disagree usb offers many advantages and its easier in most cases if analogue is kept external, especially for diy; as long as ground can be isolated and with faster speeds and higher currents with SSD and memory and CPU getting faster the problem will only get worse.

I also agree that thunderbolt is very exciting, especially considering i have a thunderbolt equipped Mac. i just disagree that internal audio and DSP is going away anytime soon in the professional domain.

glad you changed to WE, initially before engaged i only made a short comment following on with the way the thread was going including you; but happy to cut it out as i think weve all reached some sort of agreement anyway

if only a certain someone would deliver my PCBs i might have something really on topic to say!!

Last edited:
Yes qusp, I have to agree on the prosumers...

quite often theyve got a bit of disposable income as well and dont need to worry so much about the investment earning its keep; or should i say, the income theyve got to spend on their 'hobby' is totally earmarked for disposing of =)

I wish they had that spoiler function here for hiding off topic parts of posts unless someone clicks to show

as far as on topic i'm thinking of incorporating the AKD-20 plus a usb-i2s into the same case as the O2 as theres a pretty excellent deal at the moment for those after something sooner. whats the most appropriate placement for a signal star ground and does anyone have any suggestions for source selection with the O2 in the theme of the project? bare in mind this is a present for my good friends graduation for journalism (finally found himself in his late 30's and kicked ***!!) so while this is a pretty nice pressie i dont want to spend more than i have to. time i dont mind, i love this guy like a brother

Last edited:
Yes, I have noticed that you have some sort of trouble down under with parts.

that would be an 'under'statement....

luckily i opted out of the parts kits for a few reasons, money was earmarked for other things at the time, i didnt like the way things were looking and i already have a lot of suitable parts in my parts bin and dont need even less room in my workshop storage.

looks like it could finally be happening though, i havent even been waiting on parts but still dont have the pcbs cos they were shipped to him. at this point i dont mind putting him on show a bit......:confused:

i feel for the other guys, i'm just late with a present i planned for graduation/Xmas

Ok... hopefully we can leave the pro and prosumer discussions for another thread and focus on 2 channel O2-related discussion here. :) On that note, it's likely the DAC board for the ODA may be available (or at least fully tested and announced) before the final ODA PCB artwork will be released. So anyone considering a DAC purchase to go with their O2 may want to keep that in mind.

Ok... hopefully we can leave the pro and prosumer discussions for another thread and focus on 2 channel O2-related discussion here. :) On that note, it's likely the DAC board for the ODA may be available (or at least fully tested and announced) before the final ODA PCB artwork will be released. So anyone considering a DAC purchase to go with their O2 may want to keep that in mind.

im done, like i said already weve reached agreement. man get with it RS we did that on the last page already!! :D

i'll be getting the dac i linked to go with the O2 as i have the correct hiface OEM usb-i2s module to drop on it already, so its an easy simple solution at less than 100 for a compact hires 2 channel USB dac and its 'just down the road'. only problem is the sync on mac is a bit **** so movies are a nogo, audio is fine, its a driver issue that hasnt been addressed. There are ways around it ie. delaying the video a few frames. It works fine on win and linux as is and i should note its not a problem with the dac, but the hiface mac driver

but for those over your side of the pond who are starting from scratch and want a project as well documented as the O2, probably the best choice is to wait

Last edited:
ii have the correct hiface OEM usb-i2s module to drop on it already, so its an easy simple solution at less than 100 for a compact hires 2 channel USB dac
Is that module generally available in single piece quantities to DIYers? What USB chip is it based on? Does it provide MCLK for the DAC? And does it require a proprietary driver or is it fully UAC1 compliant?

M2Tech Hiface - "Internal very low jitter oscillators and proprietary drivers allow for playing 192kHz/24bits audio files that feature the best signal quality."

M2Tech Hiface EVO - "Asynchronous operation up to 192kHz is used in conjunction with proprietary drivers which allow for Kernel Streaming, Direct Sound and WASAPI operation (the latter under Windows vista and 7)."

Turbon is correct, its an OEM module based on tyhe same chipset and basic design as the Hiface. A while back a GB on here for it was stopped in its tracks because the datasheet was made public and they were made aware of it, so they never supplied it to the general public. i went ahead bought them legit as an industry professional, but i think you would struggle to get them to come to the party with licensing and the lack of a UAC2 driver is probably another deal breaker for you. it does expose all the power supplies, i2c and control pins as well as i2s.

so because i have them already the 98 dollar ES9023 dac deal is a screaming winner for this dac/amp i'm making for my friend.

ES9023? Interesting. I'd love an ES9012 DAC running UAC2 (& UAC1) feeding an ODA or "The Wire" tuned specifically for my AKG's power range.

yes es9023 for my mate; me i'm running UAC2->multichannel i2s-> AKD12 into NTD1 IV (with the bal-SE wire and soon bal-bal wire) but i'm also running a second akd12 and these 4 channels with 4 matching power amps using a digital crossover power my soon to be finished 2 way speakers

no need for tuning for AKG, unity gain is perfect for ~60ohms but that assumes you are running regular AKG. i cant remember if you had 240's or k1000 or something nuts =)

kids run away before the DIY bug gets you!!

Last edited:
Wow... your setup is pretty much my persuit. Anyway, I'm rolling with the K 171 Mk II headphones, so unity is probably fine because a gain of ~1.6 would be my max from 2V feed and I would want to use more than the first 1/3 of the volume pot.

It's amazing how much better they sound amped... and I'm a quiet listener.

Last edited:
@ethanolson, the short answer to that question is most DIYers design "blind" without proper test equipment and using only heavily biased sighted listening as their guide. They very often think they hear things that don't really exist as has been demonstrated countless times in blind listening tests. if you throw a bed sheet over the equipment, without changing anything else, the benefits they think they hear magically disappear. So it's easy to see how they think adding an op amp stage to a DAC chip improves the sound when in reality it might make the performance a bit worse.