Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2011, 04:40 AM   #291
flynhawaiian is offline flynhawaiian  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, but their regular shipping rate is 4.95 for ups in the US. Not sure what kind of deal we could do otherwise. I emailed the company to see what they say.
Old 9th September 2011, 05:06 AM   #292
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

It might be worth asking if they can do better than a 30% discount (which you hit at 20 units) if we are talking about 100 or 200 or more units. And for Canada, they charge a minimum $20.00 for UPS international.. (unfortunately), so buying 1 or buying 20 means I pay the same shipping.
Old 9th September 2011, 05:26 AM   #293
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I’m not 100% sure what can be done exactly with them, but we'll see. I told them we might have 100-300 panels, and to give us the best price. We can also try and "shop" around and see what other companies might be willing to offer.
Old 9th September 2011, 01:28 PM   #294
charliyu is offline charliyu  United States
diyAudio Member

On the FPE Website, they give discounts if you buy a bunch:

Using material provided by Front Panel Express, the following discounts are available:

Quantity 1-4 5-9 10-19 20-29 >= 30

Discount 0% 10% 20% 30% upon request
Old 9th September 2011, 01:43 PM   #295
sofaspud is offline sofaspud  United States
diyAudio Member

100+ panels at anything close to 50% off would be sweet. I'd jump on that GB. Thanks for all the updates and leg work.
Old 9th September 2011, 03:05 PM   #296
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

A very popular classic headphone are the AKG K240's, these are 600 ohm 94 db mW according to the box. In actuallity to listen to high dynamic range material they need a solid low distortion 7V's across the driver. With this O2 amp being solid state I don't think anyone would want to be anywhere past the "knee" in the distortion curve where the distorion increase go vertical by a factor in the thousands with a tiny movement of the volume knob.

Have you considered a desktop version with higher rails such that the "knee" can be pushed farther toward the 10V range for typical studio monitors like the 600 ohm AKG's ?.

I like your design philosophy except using the 1% THD power rating, you don't want to be any where near this straight shot from less than .01 THD to 1% THD, this area is highly non-linear and can't be recommended IMHO. I appreciate the honest plot, but should be clear with folks that the real max power is before the knee not the "industry standard 1% THD" which is a big reason folks don't like SS high NFB amps, simply because the manufacturer over rates their power.

Last edited by regal; 9th September 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 9th September 2011, 05:00 PM   #297
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Have you considered a desktop version with higher rails such that the "knee" can be pushed farther toward the 10V range for typical studio monitors like the 600 ohm AKG's ?.
It has been suggested that a desktop version use a LM317/337 based supply, which would give adjustable voltages (up to the opamps' rated maximum of +/-18 V) that would be quieter to boot. Maximum output would increase to about 11 Vrms, giving some 3 dB more headroom. That should do, though it doesn't reach the impressive ~20 Vrms for Lake People / Violectric amps or even 32 Vrms for the SPL Phonitor / Auditor (all much fancier concepts, of course).
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I like your design philosophy except using the 1% THD power rating, you don't want to be any where near this straight shot from less than .01 THD to 1% THD, this area is highly non-linear and can't be recommended IMHO. I appreciate the honest plot, but should be clear with folks that the real max power is before the knee not the "industry standard 1% THD" which is a big reason folks don't like SS high NFB amps, simply because the manufacturer over rates their power.
In fact most any self-respecting hi-fi (speaker) power amp is specified at the "knee". 1% THD is industry standard for portable devices.
Old 9th September 2011, 09:43 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

They said they are interested in helping us. Basically I need a FPE file. I’m going to work on creating one while heading in to town today, and will post the image to see how people like it. I'll also send a file to them, for pricing.

All of the panels basically would have to be ordered at the same time, and they would likely help us with that.
Old 9th September 2011, 09:49 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Also, I’m going to ask them to see if they can order the box or have something similar in size.
Old 9th September 2011, 10:31 PM   #300
sofaspud is offline sofaspud  United States
diyAudio Member

There's an untested, no lettering .fpd CAD file in the O2 resources section.
Quote:
Front Panel Express CAD File (untested, no lettering) – Here’s the basic front panel for the B2-080 without any lettering which prices out under $17. Please note I’ve only tested this panel by printing it to scale on paper. I haven’t actually had a panel made and there’s a small chance there could me some minor fit/tolerance issues. I expect the panel to be tested soon.

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY ProjectHide this!Advertise here!