Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2011, 03:41 PM   #1721
merlin2069er is offline merlin2069er  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Ok, I went thru the list and the bom had $8 cutters in it, solder wick and solder.

I've got it down to $54. Why are the gain resistors in there twice? should I remove the second set? (are they higher quality?)

Oh, and it looks like there is a set set of op amps.

Last edited by merlin2069er; 29th December 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 29th December 2011, 03:44 PM   #1722
greenm01 is offline greenm01  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Why are the gain resistors in there twice
You only need the parts hi-lighted in pink, unless you want to use different gain configuration. I stuck with lines 1 through 48 on the BOM spreadsheet.

/Mason
Old 29th December 2011, 04:15 PM   #1723
ethanolson is offline ethanolson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2069er View Post
Ok, I went thru the list and the bom had $8 cutters in it, solder wick and solder.

I've got it down to $54. Why are the gain resistors in there twice? should I remove the second set? (are they higher quality?)

Oh, and it looks like there is a set set of op amps.
You should have four gain resistors: two for high gain (1 per channel) and two for low gain. There should also be a pair only of the NJM4556A opamps.

For importing to Mouser, I found that I had to change the columns so that the MFR part number was column 1 and QTY was column 2. For some reason the Mouser part number was useless when importing.
Old 29th December 2011, 05:02 PM   #1724
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

If anyone wants a copy of my Mouser Project file, updated to the latest BOM, with all the gain resistors and sockets, and tweaked to get rid of back orders, PM me with your email address and I will share it with you. Since I am on the Canadian Mouser site, you will have to copy it to your profile before ordering I think.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:22 PM   #1725
br777 is offline br777  United States
diyAudio Member

can someone tell me who produced that brown wooden case for their O2? The photo has circulated around - like on headphonia's facebook page for instance.

thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 11:25 PM   #1726
pby is offline pby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br777 View Post
can someone tell me who produced that brown wooden case for their O2? The photo has circulated around - like on headphonia's facebook page for instance.

thanks
There are at least 3 different wooden cases on this thread alone.
MoonL's pictures on how he made his
Old 30th December 2011, 04:38 AM   #1727
br777 is offline br777  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks.. since the search function is a bit overwhelming for a thread this big, let me just try it this way. If anyone in the U.S. is willing to sell an O2 wood case for $50 or less please PM me. :-D

thanks.

my jds labs O2 outta be here in 2 weeks give or take. along with my Cavalli audio stacker II tube hybrid which most frequently draws comparisons to their Liquid fire amp (which retails for roughly $3300). Its going to be very interesting comparing the sounds of these two amps.. especially given the unwanted bias i will surely insert due to the fact that one costed me $145, and the other costed me about $1100 ;-D

good times!
Old 30th December 2011, 06:06 AM   #1728
ethanolson is offline ethanolson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by br777 View Post
It's going to be very interesting comparing the sounds of these two amps.. especially given the unwanted bias i will surely insert due to the fact that one costed me $145, and the other costed me about $1100 ;-D

good times!
Not to mention the fact that tubes distort in ways that people often prefer. While you're at it, swap out your fancy time corrected cable on only one channel with a piece of crap cable (play with inline caps and resistors while you're at it) and be amazed at how much more spacious and 3D everything becomes. Yeah... some distortion is really liked, especially when it's not measured because it's a time domain thing. As long as everything else is ruler flat and quiet, then it's worth charging a bunch for.

Too bad the O2 doesn't distort worth crap. If we could build in something hard to measure but not as hard to hear which still sounded cool, then we could charge >$450 a unit.

Sorry. I'm not trying to hate... just being real, if a bit cynical. I wouldn't mind having a go with some tubes. It's been a long time (15+ years) since I've heard anything from tubes... that I know of.
Old 30th December 2011, 07:11 AM   #1729
SmittyHalibut is offline SmittyHalibut  United States
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to post a quick success story. I picked up parts for a pair of O2s, one for me and one for a friend for whom this was his first soldering project ever (I've been doing this a long time. :-) We spent the weekend assembling and testing them, and they both work great on the first try. This is his first head amp and he LOVES the sound with his Sennheiser HD-595s (64ohm).

I'm listening right now and love it. 'course, I also love my PIMETAv2 and my 12AU7/IRF510 Hybrid tube amp too, so apparently I'm pretty easy to please. :-)

RS: Quick design question, if this is the appropriate forum for it. I'm working on a design for a head-amp with a simple mixer on the front-end for use at my office so I don't have to keep switching inputs between my iPhone, Desktop, Laptop, and desk phone. But I need an inverting amp for the mixer. Rather than add Yet Another OpAmp to the signal path, would U1 work in inverting mode? Obviously, I'm talking about a different board layout not trying to modify the current boards. Thoughts?

Thanks for the wonderful write up and making everything so easy. :-)

Last edited by SmittyHalibut; 30th December 2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:21 PM   #1730
lorriman is offline lorriman  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anyone know of a UK supplier of bling knobs that are up to snuff; certainly better than digikey's that I feel don't really cut the mustard, as well as having rather pricey postage (12).

The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY ProjectHide this!Advertise here!