The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

I'm having a bit of a issue with battery life. I'm getting around 4 hours of use out of the amp on batteries.

First use I 'only' gave then 7 hours charge. They lasted about 3 hours. Fine, I thought, and gave them 24 hours of charging. I've been using the amp on and off over the last couple of days, probably around 4 hours of use, and today it's strobing on and off (which I'm assuming is related to low battery level). The Initial checks all passed without problem and in use the amp sounds fine. I'm using the full kit and batteries from headnhifi.

What run times are typical with this kit & batteries? I'll run through a full check again tonight, but is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?

From NwAvGuy

"Power Jack – For AC line power or charging, connect the AC wall transformer to this jack. The standard plug is 5.5mm outside and 2.1mm inside. The transformer output can be anywhere from 14 VAC to 20 VAC and at least 200 mA. Don’t use more than 20 VAC or less than 14 VAC (except for the 12 VAC transformers listed in the parts list). Do not try to use a DC adapter. A DC adapter may appear to work if batteries are installed, but the amp will be at least partly running off the batteries. "

From NwAvGuy

"Power Jack – For AC line power or charging, connect the AC wall transformer to this jack. The standard plug is 5.5mm outside and 2.1mm inside. The transformer output can be anywhere from 14 VAC to 20 VAC and at least 200 mA. Don’t use more than 20 VAC or less than 14 VAC (except for the 12 VAC transformers listed in the parts list). Do not try to use a DC adapter. A DC adapter may appear to work if batteries are installed, but the amp will be at least partly running off the batteries. "

So 200ma is the minimum, but does it matter if I get a 2A (for example) one?

I'm having a bit of a issue with battery life. I'm getting around 4 hours of use out of the amp on batteries.

First use I 'only' gave then 7 hours charge. They lasted about 3 hours. Fine, I thought, and gave them 24 hours of charging. I've been using the amp on and off over the last couple of days, probably around 4 hours of use, and today it's strobing on and off (which I'm assuming is related to low battery level). The Initial checks all passed without problem and in use the amp sounds fine. I'm using the full kit and batteries from headnhifi.

What run times are typical with this kit & batteries? I'll run through a full check again tonight, but is there anything in particular I should pay attention to?

With 9V 200mAh low self-discharge Tenergy batteries, I typically get 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. The battery and how much power (how loud) you use will determine how long a run time you have. Most have posted similar run times (5-6 hours). I would advise a couple of discharge/charge cycles for the batteries to settle in.

With 9V 200mAh low self-discharge Tenergy batteries, I typically get 5-6 hours of use before I need to recharge. The battery and how much power (how loud) you use will determine how long a run time you have. Most have posted similar run times (5-6 hours). I would advise a couple of discharge/charge cycles for the batteries to settle in.

Sounds around the same ball park. The batteries I have are 300mAh and its still early days. It just seems a lot less use time than my 'high performance' mini^3.
I did a quick check last night and everything seems fine. 5 mins of charging and the oscillation is gone.
I'll see how it goes and do some proper measurements if I'm still not content.
Thanks for the information and pointers.

Any surface mount designs floating around? I'm thinking of creating an SMT version of the board with the design software I use at work but I'm curious if there's any baselines I could compare to.

I wish someone would do that (SMD version)! The O2's physical size could probably shrink 30% or more if both sides of the board and SMD parts were used, and/or more stuff could be put on. You might want to shoot RocketScientist a PM or email on his website. Maybe he would have some interest in the project. Sounds like he is pretty slammed with the day job right now, but if someone else did a layout and board stuffing maybe he would be willing to look it over. By his licensing terms on the O2 design you could only use the (modified) design/board for yourself - the DIYers here couldn't do a group buy, etc from the way I read it. Maybe he would be willing to allow a SMD version of the PCB to be made available to the DIY community once the art is done and if he were able to find time to verify the results on his equipment.

You also might want to consider starting a separate "SMD O2" thread too, given the length of this one. I'll bet there are a lot of folks on the forum here with SMD experience that might want to chip in comments and ideas on something like that.

Just a thought! :)

Last edited:
lorriman - I'm on the same quest. The other issue I have is some batteries I've tried are a tad too thick and interfere with the inside of the case. Keen to find some good batteries in the UK, with reasonable capacity, that fit! Please let me know if you find something suitable!

Thanks.

Lidl sell 9v rechargable batteries from time to time.
I bought some a while ago but have not had a chance to try them yet so can't comment on their physical size.
I don't have them with me right now but I think they were 200 mA.
I saw them in one of their stores last week, usually mixed in with a variety of other rechargable batteries.
They do sell out quick in case you were interested. Can't remember exact price but were quite cheap.

I have been using the LIDL batteries for several months now, no problems. They are stuck to the O2 board with double-sided foam tape, and fit the B2 case nicely. Tip - use an old, discharged PP3 battery, with the foam tape underneath, when positioning the battery terminals, as recommended by RS. Incidentally, no blog entries from RS lately, was hoping to hear more on the desktop O2 by now.

Thanks! Unfortunately my local Lidl didn't have any rechargeable batteries, but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any recommendations for easy-to-source UK batteries that fit, please let me know.

I installed the battery connectors, using a dud to hold them in place, as close to the PCB as possible. However, the rechargeable batteries I have seem to have quite square corners, it's these that interfere with the case. I'm loathed to buy more batteries without a higher degree of confidence they're going to fit! Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks! Unfortunately my local Lidl didn't have any rechargeable batteries, but I'll keep looking. If anyone has any recommendations for easy-to-source UK batteries that fit, please let me know.

I installed the battery connectors, using a dud to hold them in place, as close to the PCB as possible. However, the rechargeable batteries I have seem to have quite square corners, it's these that interfere with the case. I'm loathed to buy more batteries without a higher degree of confidence they're going to fit! Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Why don't you want to get the same ones nwavguy used in his build off ebay?

-joe

Amazon uk sells ansmann max-e 200mAh cells for a fiver. They have low self discharge and fits inside a b2 case with no problems. I've used these for almost a year now and still working great. Ansmann makes a 250mAh as well but it's like twice the price of the 200mAh and I have no idea if it would fit.