"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Owen, just had another look at the graphs you posted... do you have one available for THD sweep against frequency? If not perhaps you could make one when you do your further tests? Would be great to see that graph, especially with unbalanced input and 2k ohm source resistance (say, at about 50 mW into 30R with parallel capacitance).

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I'll update the list and re-post it tonight. To be clear - The kit price includes the parts listed in the BOM, both PCB's, and shipping to anywhere.

icewall and meanman 1964:

Please go back and read at least the last three pages of this thread. Everything you asked is answered there. I can't re-post the same info on every page.

Cheers,
Owen

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I'll update the list and re-post it tonight. To be clear - The kit price includes the parts listed in the BOM, both PCB's, and shipping to anywhere.

icewall and meanman 1964:

Please go back and read at least the last three pages of this thread. Everything you asked is answered there. I can't re-post the same info on every page.

Cheers,
Owen

Thanks did find it

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I've attached the updated list. If you still haven't confirmed your request since I posted the pricing info, please do so now. I'd like to get an accurate number for the amount of boards and kits.

meanman1964

Can you let me know if you're interested in a kit or not?

Thanks,
Owen

Attachments

• People interested in The Wire.pdf
    31.8 KB · Views: 320
... not so many DIY designs though.

no, not so many, but there are still a fair few, this forum has produced a few ive seen, along with the SMD M4, the miniv3 portable along with a few other portables. certainly not as common as through hole designs i'll give you that, but people seem scared by SMD in general, not just headamps, when once a technique is forged its actually much easier and quicker to solder SMD, given the physical ability

qusp (post #74):

You should be the first to get a pair of boards, so your opinions would be very much appreciated. If you can do some listening and comparisons with some of the amps you have there, it would be very much appreciated. The more feedback the better!

Cheers,
Owen

yeah looks that way, I think i'm going to get the parts for one kit on their way with my DK, so just keep me with 1 SMD kit (i'll cost it out as I dont have the power supplies) so may still turn out cheaper for me to just buy my own, i'll follow up with email.

PA's QRV08 headamp boards are very good, I like them, SMD is about as much as your amps share in common though, power supply is about as opposite as they get, with PA having 4 discrete (well apart from the opamps :p) super regulators per board along with pretty much everything else that could be discrete being so.

both measure very well and both will be very technically adept, it will be an interesting comparison. the QRV08 amp section probably has quite low PSRR by comparison, but doesnt need it as the PSU is onboard and of very high quality, where your amp has excellent PSRR, so not so much is needed of PSU, nothing wrong with either school and the results speak for themselves, but VERY different. just look at the 2 BOMs, sourcing everything for the qrv's was a bit of a nightmare and the number of parts quite massive, while I could just about write the BOM for 'the wire' on the back of my hand

the PSU is part of what makes 'the wire' so accessible as well, a really great performing and easy to build design. anyone who has them, or can still find them, I would recommend going with LT1085/1033 for the regulators and if those are not available, grab the linear tech version LT317/337 in place of the LM series, although again with such high PSRR the benefits may not be so great.

Last edited:
Hey OPC.

Just back from trip OS... Had a very good time, sadly will have to take myself off the list due to the extent of the goodness of said trip.

Thank you very much anyway.
Keep up the good work.
Will be ordering one from you in a month or two when funds available.

Cheers
Dean

Cheers for the update qusp.
This is a project I would love to be involved with, but it will keep my main system out of action for another month or so If i don't budget very tightly.

Thanks again for keeping me in the loop though.

Hope this one's everything it looks like guys.

Dean