Which Pass Aleph diy board for "no-cost-object" headphone amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Pass Diy Forum,

I’m an Italian student who would like to use a Pass Aleph as amplification of my main listening system: reference headphones.

Very unpleased of commercial products (under 3000 Euro), I’ve already build some good sounding amplifiers; but now, with the “knowledge” headed up, I would like to build a “no-cost-object” class A headphone amplifier. (Something like Rudistor RP010 for example)

So I would like to ask You if one of the Aleph diy boards could be useful for that utilization (possibly with 20/30 watts on 8 ohm, 10 mV, able to drive headphone impedence from 32 to 300 ohms), or if I could look for something different, or if some modifications are necessary on the boards, power supplies voltage, ect., for an high-end result.

Thank You very much indeed in advance for any suggestions or advices,

with kindest regards,

Davide

I thank sincerely to those who answer me (I didn't expected so many answers...). Thank You!

Now, I try to aswer to all the questions You made.

First of all: I would like to build a "no cost object" amplifier because, honestly, I would like to make a my own amplifier by myself (without selling intentions) with no-compromise choices (as far as my knowledge unfortunately allows), high quality parts, refined aspect and because (obvious) I pretend to listen many times better than my money can buy... (and I need to listen to music for long periods). That's all.

Second: I have now a powerful amplifier with 8 selected mosfets for channel (yes, I'm fool probably...), class A (10 watts for channel on 8 ohm), probably better than any head amplifier I could buy in the market, but I really need more "power width", because with AKG's reference series I feel clearly the "amplifier limit" and, more important, I can't reach any "realistic volumes" with instrumental music as normally done with 32 ohm headphones... (It's obvious that with a 32 ohms you can burn easily out the drivers in few minutes)

Third: that amplifier should need a 50volts transformer (now has a 40) for a power increase and whereas I have seen that Alephs need less current (and less wasting money in power transf.) I became concerned about Pass alephs and I would like to know more about them.

Thank You sincerely, see you soon.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
now this is getting interesting, you have 10 watts in the headphones and you feel the need for more power...have you checked your hearing lately? seriously, loud listening causes hearing loss and as a consequence you need to listen music louder

as for myself, I love headphone listening, especially early in the morning, or late at night, when I do not want to disturb with speakers, and sennheisers 580 with sweet tube headphone amp with just few hundred milliwats is all I need
no solid state headphone amp ever came close to the clear yet sweet sound of good tube headphone amp
if it sound like pure bliss at normal volume level, you do not need to play it loud

Does someone knows the sense of the term "to be polite"? I do.

Mr. Pass guessed me to ask my question here and, in the best case (I've read worse answers), I read that I should be deaf.

Perfect.

So... It has no sense with that kind of "audience" that I spend time explaining something could have been really interesting... (I'm not deaf, crazy or everything else)

I see, it's clear, that this is another "classic" diy forum (except exceptions) where everyone writes to show his hobby "virtuosism" for petty autodetermination purposes, not for the pleasure of share experiences or to help someone with less experience.

See you soon.

please be more specific about your "reference headphone" choices

dynamic (and orthodynamic) headphone sensitivity varies over a much larger range than common domestic dynamic loudspeakers - and the impedance varies more too
this makes it impractical for a single amplifier's power supply V, gain setting to deliver good S/N and dynamic range with all possible headphones since the required Vout max may range from 200 mV (sensitive, low impedance IEM; JH13) to 30 Vrms (AKG240 or K1000)

of Pass' designs I like the looks of the SuperSymmetry circuits - with complementary Lateral MOSFET and scaled to the load requirements - not 4-10 A rated Vertical MOSFET for 100mA bias
the SuperSymmetric amps do require balanced input signal and "balanced" headphone cable - needing a custom headphone recable in nearly all cases

I do believe composite multi-loop amplifiers with today's best monolithic op amps chosen for separate input and output roles in the composite amp can cover most dynamic headphone's drive requirements with essentially unmeasurable distortion from the active circuits - if you want "straight wire with gain" instead of euphonic flavoring you can get there very quickly with monolithic op amps

Last edited:
Thanks to all who answer politly.

My problem is not power in itself (I have it enought if I turn to 50 volts my amplifier already in use), but the interest in Pass projects.

I explain it clearer: I would like to build a pass hight quality amplifier for my headphones (akgk702 and others less difficult to drive), not because the mine is not powerful, but only for the interest in pass projects and because it will cost some money to convert my amplifier to 50 volts... and I've notice that pass projects work ever at minus voltages... So I consider also Pass before I spend other money.

My question was very simple: is there/what is the right pass to choose with 20/25 watt on 8 ohms (for safe: more watts are better, even, perhaps, much more for headphones... it's obvious that you don't use it....!!!! You should know that aspect very well...), reliably, easy to find, simple, but finest quality that makes me prefer to built it in front of converting to 50 volts the amplifier of mine?

That was all... simple and clear.

Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.