JLH Headphone Amp

the sch shows a gnd symbol attached to the output pin p1-2.
the sch shoiws a gnd symbol attached to the ouput pin p2-2.
The PCB is made to match this.
Instead it connects p1-2 to p2-2
Yes, there is also a jumper between this P1-2 to P2-2 trace to GND via the jumper, hence the ground return but also the loops ?
See attached annotated pic.

Attachments

• JLH_PCB_Marks_with_DC_Servo.png
    JLH_PCB_Marks_with_DC_Servo.png
    747.4 KB · Views: 711
That's a good way of showing it.
And it exposes the problem.

Why are the two outputs sharing a return route?
Why is the return route of such a high impedance (excessively long length)?
Why did the layout designer not just connect EACH output return direct to the power ground? The route would be far shorter and thus lower impedance?

There is one more shorting link tying a second net into the power ground.

That's a good way of showing it.
And it exposes the problem.

Why are the two outputs sharing a return route?
Why is the return route of such a high impedance (excessively long length)?
Why did the layout designer not just connect EACH output return direct to the power ground? The route would be far shorter and thus lower impedance?

There is one more shorting link tying a second net into the power ground.

I'll add on top of that, that if you connect the output to a three pole female headphone jack from P1 and P2 with two wires that share a ground connection at the jack, as most user do with an headphone amp, you add a big ground loop.
That's what my ugly drawing posted on post 662 tried to show with the yellow lines at the bottom.

I'll add on top of that, that if you connect the output to a three pole female headphone jack from P1 and P2 with two wires that share a ground connection at the jack, as most user do with an headphone amp, you add a big ground loop.
That's what my ugly drawing posted on post 662 tried to show with the yellow lines at the bottom.
Yes, and only the thinkers that have got beyond "ground solves everything" will spot that.
Headphones are very sensitive. They may replay hum if the field is strong enough. And that happens when high current routes are separated instead of being close coupled.

I clearly stated in an earlier post that there is hum if you use the grounds on each side of the board as outputs grounds.
That was my experience with 2 boards.

Why don't you purchase a board and see(or hear in this case) for yourself?
It's not like it's an expensive board or a issue that can't be easily resolved.

I got my JLH HPA a few days ago. The board is different from the previously posted ones as it has no volume pot and a different layout.Unfortunately I did not have much time to play with it but it works and sounds nice. I could trim the DC offset down to around 1mV but I do not know yet how stable it will be. For extra security I use 4 Nichcon BP 220µF caps at the output. The LMs runs fairly warm but not hot though the TIPs stays fairly cool. I will try to increase the bias a bit in the future but i am not quite sure which resistors I will have to decrease.

20170127_165300.jpg

20170207_121039.jpg

20170207_121019.jpg

help for hum issue and heat

Hello,

I am just close to the end to build this amplifier and was disappointed as I though I should be able to share a trasnformer for both the DAC and this board, but got an horrible hum ground loop issue. Any idea (except of course using separate 220v transfomer ?)

Also I am surprised by the heat or all radiator, is it normal? what is the power needed for this board (did not measure the mA on both +-12V ).

best regards/alain;

Hello,

I am just close to the end to build this amplifier and was disappointed as I though I should be able to share a trasnformer for both the DAC and this board, but got an horrible hum ground loop issue. Any idea (except of course using separate 220v transfomer ?)
You'll have to interrupt the ground loop somewhere. Not too many options for that, try the connection between DAC output and JLH input.

I hope your JLH board is not one of those with a integrated ground loop, those also exist (fix mentioned earlier in this thread if memory serves).
Also I am surprised by the heat or all radiator, is it normal? what is the power needed for this board (did not measure the mA on both +-12V ).
It's a Class A amp that runs about 120 mA through the output devices, so that's a good 24 V * 240 mA = 5.76 W dissipated right there, plus a few mA for the rest of the circuit, plus regulator losses... could be about 8 W drawn from the transformer and basically dissipated as heat. Yeah, it'll get a bit warm.

Amp not working

[image][/image]
You're quite welcome! Yes, that's the servo board I offer for these amps.
If I were getting an Antek, I would get this one:
AS-1212 - 100VA 12V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp
Hope that helps.

Sorry to ask such a silly question. Have wired the amp and it is not working. The LED is on, what can I do to check the wiring ?
Where do I connect the purple wire ?
Thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    664.2 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    332.5 KB · Views: 436