DAO Follower vs F3 Headphone Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if you guys can help me espescially Grey and EUVL.
I already have F3 boards, but after reading a few comments about the DAO follower headphone amp. I am now a bit unsure which one to build.
The people who have built the DAO follower headphone amp think it is good, while no one I know has used the F3 as a headphone amp.
It would be nice if EUVL could post his latest schematic here for reference.

There is no latest schematics other than the TCS version that Steenoe has built with great satisfaction. There are only 3 or 4 people who have announced building the DAO, and I don't know of any of them has been using F3 for headamp. So I guess your only way to find out is to build both and compare.

The DAO suits low impedance headphones better. Optimum is below 100 ohm.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

Attachments

• dao tcs follower v1.jpg
    dao tcs follower v1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • A brief update on the DAO with Taylor CS.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 642
  • DAO Follower w Taylor CS.doc
    105 KB · Views: 740
Last edited:
I am not a headphone user but have wondered wouldn't a scaled down SOZ
make a good headphone amp? I know a 3 contact headphone plug wouldn't
work you would ned some type of plug with 4 contacts. Sorry just always
wondered about that.

Well, you could use a pair of line output transformers and common the bottoms of the secondaries and use a standard 3 contact headphone plug. The price would be the added output impedance due to the transformer's winding resistances.

Also, there are already a number of "balanced" headphone amps out there. Headroom got it started and unfortunately established the most absolutely retarded "standard" of using two full size 3 pin XLRs for the headphone connection (one for the left channel, one for the right), so you end up with a big pair of goat testicles hanging off your headphone cable.

Some "balanced" headphone amps though include a single 4 pin XLR which isn't nearly so retarded although a full size XLR is still rather stupidly large for a headphone connector in my opinion.

A 4 pin mini XLR would be preferable, though some of the DIYers and aftermarket headphone cable makers complain it's too small for their cables, some of which would be better suited for loudspeaker cables.

se

I have been asked about the distortion performance of the TCS version vs DAO with original CCS. Apparently simulation gives better results with the CCS than the TCS.

The idea of the TCS is to modulate the lower current source so as to provide more current drive, as well as cancel most of the even harmonics (when done right). The circuit values published were NOT based on simulations, but actual measurement of devices (LU1014s) under near-working conditions (bias, Vds, temp, etc.).

But if you would take Steen's well documented review, then there is little to choose between the two. So I would only say, build both and decide for yourself which one suits you better.

;)

Patrick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.