Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Output transformer for a 6EM7 headphone amp
Output transformer for a 6EM7 headphone amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2008, 04:21 PM   #1
firestorm is offline firestorm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Output transformer for a 6EM7 headphone amp

I've decided to build my self a spud headamp. I'm thinking on the lines of Squeezebox --> spud --> AKG701.

I've got a few 6EM7 that should do the trick. The only SE transformers I have are 5k->8R scavenged from a reel to reel tape machine, I think the original amp had EL84 as output tubes.

I'm quite new the tube side of life, so can any one tell me if a 5k - 8T SE transformer will work ok ?

6EM7 --> 5k..8R --> 65R (AKG701)

If not I have in mind a multitap transformer, made by Oxford Electrical Products, part number N35A002F, RS part number 210-6475 (rswww.com), not sure if this link will work http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=2106475

The windings with ratios can be found here:

http://img-europe.electrocomponents....L217567-01.gif

If I can avoid spending more money that would be ideal, otherwise, I believe I can go for the OEP transformer.

Comments much appreciated

FS

I'm based in the UK, most US items end up costing lots of money with S&H charges applied
Old 4th January 2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Tom Bavis is offline Tom Bavis
diyAudio Member

With triodes, maximum output is achieved with a load impedance of 2-3 times the tube's plate resistance. Higher impedance will reduce output somewhat, with lower distortion - a good trade-off with headphones.

5K will work fine, and you can even deliver close to a watt to an 8 Ohm speaker if you want. Depending on the sensitivity of the headphones, you may want to attenuate the output with a series resistor or voltage divider. You should terminate the 8 Ohm output with 8-10 Ohms.
Old 4th January 2008, 06:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

excellent !

I've got all the ironware, I've just need to sort the caps and Rs and I'm ready to go.

I'll report on my progress as appropriate.

Thanks for your help Tom
Old 4th January 2008, 06:41 PM   #4
dsavitsk is offline dsavitsk  United States
diyAudio Member

You may be fine just using the phones as the load. Try it, and if you lack bass, put a resistor in parallel to the load to see if that helps. Start with about 30R, and move lower if you think it helps.
Old 4th January 2008, 07:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi dsavitsk
won't the 30R just lower the static resistance, but not affect the load impedance?
Old 4th January 2008, 08:01 PM   #6
dsavitsk is offline dsavitsk  United States
diyAudio Member

no. This is the same advice Tom gave, I just said to start with 30R while he said to start with 8 to 10R.
Old 4th January 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry Dsavitsk,
my mistake - but my Q still stands, adding a resistor will let the secondary see the right DC load, but the AC impedance will not be changed.

Output transformer for a 6EM7 headphone ampHide this!Advertise here!