2x Gain pure op-amp headphone amp idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've abandoned the ground channel for two reasons:
1) Op amps don't seem to share the load, as in the ground channel doesn't contribute to output power.
2) Power supply noise was a ground loop problem after all.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Adding a small resistor between PSU and signal ground solved ground loop noise. Why?
2) I'm pretty sure op amps don't like a low load impedance such as my Sennheiser HD201 (24 Ω @1 KHz). Anythign I can do to improve this circuit? Except paralleling more op amps, that is.
3) Output coupling capacitor is so large (-3 dB @ 2 Hz). Do you think the op amp sees it as a capacitive load and should I be concerned about it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you really should just use higher output current op amps - the O2 project's NJM4556 are fine if you want to avoid surface mount parts - TL072 have particularly poor output stages for such low Z load

the 47 Ohm current sharing R are too big - single digit Ohm R drop less supply V, reduce problems with C load from the cable

and why inveritng?

I have a very limited selection of op amps, unfortunately. Only basic and rather old models. I've picked NE5532 over TL072. But that's about as good as it gets.

I will reduce current sharing resistors value.

Inverting saves a few components, I guess. Does it make any difference audio-wise?

inverting gain loads the source more heavily which can cause distortion, reqiuires bigger DC blocking C for the same frequency response

too high a value of feedback R can allow another destablizing effect to become a isssue - the input parasitic C of the op amp

noise V and in the case of bjt input bias current errors are bigger with higher values of feedback R

I think virtual grounds are perfectly OK to work with, but you don't want to sink any serious currents into it. This you would do in the headphone application shown a couple of posts before.

There is an elegant way out, though, which would also increase headroom when driving from a single low voltage supply: of the four output opamps, connect two in positive and two in inverting mode, and bridge the outputs. No drive currents would flow back into the virtual ground, and presto.

Disadvantage is that you halve the available drive current, so you might wish to have some more opamps in the output if you worry about not having enough.

vac

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
[Virtual grounds] can be made to work ok, but it's also one more thing that can be unstable or insufficient to the task, and it's one more thing that can reduce reliability. I ultimately eliminated it from whatever I was working on because I was never comfortable with it. FWIW, I'm more of a fan of class A headphone amps, since the power requirements are modest- that's what I build for myself.

I just wanted to add my support for Conrad's position, on both counts.

A virtual ground is a approximation of a real ground, that approximation is as good as the performance of the amplifier vs. the work it has to do. The impedance at high frequency may be an issue, stability may be an issue, noise may be an issue, and it is for sure more complex and less reliable than the real thing.

It's a valid trick for creating a split power supply from a single supply, and it is useful for battery powered or low budget headphone amp applications where true split supply is not feasible.

However, for hifi application, just use a transformer with two secondary windings. Problem solved: real ground obtained (circuit common, COM, as I prefer to call it.) with no mucking around.

Second point: parallel op amps will lower the noise and increase the output current, but will not get around the fact that you are using op amps to drive headphones: ultra high feedback (in unity gain config), very lean output bias current - i.e. mostly class B operation. A discrete output stage (single ended, or heavily class-A biased push-pull, or any of the power-follower circuits) is hardly much more effort to build, and can be properly tailored to drive low impedance, inductive/capacitive loads.

/rjm

Last edited:
You don't need to. The PC power supply has +12, -12v, and ground. The molex has +12, +5 and ground. You can tap the -12v from the board connector. ;)
Tapped it. Needs extra filtering, but will do the trick while the project is still on the proto-board. Abandoned biasing altogether. Will build a proper PSU when it's done.
also check out http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/193977-objective2-o2-headphone-amp-diy-project.html

the associated home page links to pretty complete design Blogs on parts selection, parallel op amps and lots more
This is probably the best advice. Learned a lot. Adopted the basic idea. Enough said.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It also cannot work until 24v single supply. I've tried to split with LM317 (totally fail) with TDA2030 (oscillating) and with resistor divider. In all cases the gnd point always swinging between (+) and (-) rails. (Thats weird!)

Here is a cheap TDA2030 headphone amp with single supply rail from amlinear regulator. I just tried out and it's very decent sounding.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/310816-tda2030-coffee-money-headphone-amp.html#post5150348

Works quite nicely.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.