• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

ODAC - European and Worldwide pre-orders

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Swalter,

Any idea when will you have more details on the ODAC Standalone and enclosure? May we can get some sort of renderers or pics ;-) as well.

Hi willmax,

at the moment the preferred enclosure would have the same size as the O2, and the ODAC sitting in there held in place by a tray. This has the advantages that there will be lower tooling costs that need to be passed on and space for RCA sockets that would be mounted as standard. A new Aluminum extrusion is in the range of 1000 USD, this cost would need to be passed on.
The last word of course is with you, the customers. If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it.

So I apply to the people who pre-ordered option 3 to let me know their preferences in regards to the size of a case for their ODAC.

Hi willmax,

at the moment the preferred enclosure would have the same size as the O2, and the ODAC sitting in there held in place by a tray. This has the advantages that there will be lower tooling costs that need to be passed on and space for RCA sockets that would be mounted as standard. A new Aluminum extrusion is in the range of 1000 USD, this cost would need to be passed on.
The last word of course is with you, the customers. If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it.

So I apply to the people who pre-ordered option 3 to let me know their preferences in regards to the size of a case for their ODAC.

I think it is a good idea and it makes sense to use the same enclosure as the O2, particularly for those who intend to build the ODA down the path and according to Nwavguy the ODA will fit in the same enclosure.

As for me I want to have the ODAC as a standalone version so I'd prefer to have it in a much smaller enclosure, that way I can piggyback on top of my O2 :p.

Alternatively, puting USB and 3.5 mm connector to the front would leave space on the back for the RCA output.
Case would be consisting of two U shapes, one making up the bottom, front and top whilst the other one consists of the sides and the back.

I will scetch something up once back from vacation.
I'm looking forward to this! Need to see how the casing will look like before taking plunge ;)

Panels and case

So, had a busy week at work after my vacation and some orders to pack after I opened shop at the 2nd as promised.
Here the promised drawings:

First one is the Tray for the ODAC so it fits into an O2 enclosure by itself

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The ODAC will be held in place by the five fingers on the right side and the groove of the enclosure on the left. With a B3 enclosure the ODAC should fit over the batteries for a portable O2/ODAC combo.

Panels for the stand alone version without RCA sockets

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and here one for the version with RCA Sockets, the dotted line is the diameter of the isolation washers.

And for those that would like to have it smaller, here a seperate enclosure measuring 62 x 20 x 49 (without panels). I was thinking of black brushed anodized aluminum as finish for the extrusion and brushed, anodized black or silver panels.

RCA sockets at the backside would add 20 mm to the lenght of the enclosure.
Estimating both options will come at around the same price...

Let me know what you think of those, I would nee sufficient interrest in order to justify the tooling costs that come with it....

Standardized ODAC Enclosure

For the standalone B2-080 version, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a blank O2 PCB to support the ODAC (no new custom part)? Just a thought.

If you would rather have a smaller case this will be doable as well, and well below the 51 USD in price like some others charge for it

Of course, DIY audio should cost less than retail. That's the idea!

George at Yoyodyne Consulting asked us weeks ago to consider distributing a Standalone ODAC enclosure. A standardized enclosure for ODAC means lower cost for everyone in the DIY market. We've discussed this possibility with other ODAC builders during April, and have been observing demand from our database.

Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics emailed tonight asking for a status update on this endeavor, especially after swalter's update. This standardized ODAC case hasn't been announced until now because of lead time and our existing cases. But the project is in motion--we're going to release a custom extruded case for ODAC this summer. The c421 case we're using upon ODAC's release requires a 3D printed ABS shim for proper fit (thus, no DIY option yet). The only advantage is that we're able to ship Standalone ODACs as soon as they're released, rather than many weeks later with a new extrusion.

Dimensions of the standard ODAC extrusion will be: 61.5 x 14 x 49 mm

ODAC_CustomExtrusion_14mmThick.png

The cross section preview looks wider than swalter's proposal, but note that this design is actually 6mm thinner. Appearance will match the renderings on our blog, with a brushed black finish like that of c421. Screw holes are machine tapped. Engineering specifications will be released upon production approval. This ensures production tolerances and dimensions match drawings.

Cost will be similar to the B2-080BK.

A few things to note:

1. Manufacturing a nice extrusion isn't as straightforward as one might hope. We went through dozens of shops before finding one competent enough to deliver a nice finished product on time and on spec. We lost several months last year weeding out bad extruders.

Chris at Box Enclosures apologized last Friday for a delayed B2-080 shipment. He said they're weeks behind due to an off-spec manufacturing batch.

In other words, producing a custom extrusion is a large risk to take.​

2. Based on ODAC demand, there's no reason for swalter and JDS Labs to each produce a custom 'Standalone ODAC' extrusion. That would ruin the idea of a standardized design and hurt costs for everyone.

3. We're initiating tooling production this week. This gives us 4 weeks to determine final production quantities. Release date will be available after production is finalized (around July).

--JDS

let me see ...

For the standalone B2-080 version, wouldn't it be just as easy to use a blank O2 PCB to support the ODAC (no new custom part)? Just a thought.

Not a bad thought, but, in order to fix the ODAC like this you still would need to solder at least two of the battery clips to prevent the board being pushed out of place and nuts and bolts to screw it down to the PCB. If you take the time you need to accomplish this the tray comes actually cheaper.

Of course, DIY audio should cost less than retail. That's the idea!

I can only agree with you on this one

George at Yoyodyne Consulting asked us weeks ago to consider distributing a Standalone ODAC enclosure. A standardized enclosure for ODAC means lower cost for everyone in the DIY market. We've discussed this possibility with other ODAC builders during April, and have been observing demand from our database.

Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics emailed tonight asking for a status update on this endeavor, especially after swalter's update. This standardized ODAC case hasn't been announced until now because of lead time and our existing cases. But the project is in motion--we're going to release a custom extruded case for ODAC this summer. The c421 case we're using upon ODAC's release requires a 3D printed ABS shim for proper fit (thus, no DIY option yet). The only advantage is that we're able to ship Standalone ODACs as soon as they're released, rather than many weeks later with a new extrusion.

Dimensions of the standard ODAC extrusion will be: 61.5 x 14 x 49 mm

Our extrusion has a hight of 20mm simply for the fact as the RCA sockets have a diameter of 15mm, it could be stripped down to 16mm as minimum

The cross section preview looks wider than swalter's proposal, but note that this design is actually 6mm thinner. Appearance will match the renderings on our blog, with a brushed black finish like that of c421. Screw holes are machine tapped. Engineering specifications will be released upon production approval. This ensures production tolerances and dimensions match drawings.

have to admit that it looks nice, I have no software installed to produce a rendering of the case at the moment (and not the time)

Cost will be similar to the B2-080BK.

This is fairly vague, cost for the B2-080 differ by over 10 dollar in resale depending where you buy it from, will the price include the panels?

A few things to note:
1. Manufacturing a nice extrusion isn't as straightforward as one might hope. We went through dozens of shops before finding one competent enough to deliver a nice finished product on time and on spec. We lost several months last year weeding out bad extruders.

Chris at Box Enclosures apologized last Friday for a delayed B2-080 shipment. He said they're weeks behind due to an off-spec manufacturing batch.

In other words, producing a custom extrusion is a large risk to take.​
2. Based on ODAC demand, there's no reason for swalter and JDS Labs to each produce a custom 'Standalone ODAC' extrusion. That would ruin the idea of a standardized design and hurt costs for everyone.
3. We're initiating tooling production this week. This gives us 4 weeks to determine final production quantities. Release date will be available after production is finalized (around July).
--JDS

1) having a very competent manufacturer as you can see on the O2 enclosures and panels I got done, final call on quality will be tomorrow when they finally arrive here.

2) I agree, there should be no need for two custom cases, but in the end it is all a matter of price, make me an offer ;)

3) requested the quote today, will have the engineering approval tomorrow, tooling time of my supplier is 10 days, production about 7 -10 days depending on quantity and about 5 - 6 days for the shipment to arrive here. and they work on Saturdays :D

I would be interested to know in the tooling cost you have to pay, we can discuss this via PM if you'd like to.

John is right; there isn't a whole lot of point everyone having extrusions made. I'm fairly indifferent between who to go with, but I'll be able to take up 200 pieces for myself. Whoever is quicker would be best, really...

As per above you can do the maths ;) if all goes well and the quote is right cases should be available mid of June,

let me see ...
Our extrusion has a hight of 20mm simply for the fact as the RCA sockets have a diameter of 15mm, it could be stripped down to 16mm as minimum

Right, but RCA's wouldn't fit in a 49.0 long enclosure anyway. You mentioned the option of making the small enclosure 20mm longer (49+20mm), but I see no reason to do this. If anyone wants RCA's, they probably don't want the small box anyway. Use the B2-080 option.

This is fairly vague, cost for the B2-080 differ by over 10 dollar in resale depending where you buy it from, will the price include the panels?

Assume pricing tiers at Newark.com.

Panels will not be included. Everyone we've talked to wants to do their own panels.

1) having a very competent manufacturer as you can see on the O2 enclosures and panels I got done, final call on quality will be tomorrow when they finally arrive here.

2) I agree, there should be no need for two custom cases, but in the end it is all a matter of price, make me an offer ;)

3) requested the quote today, will have the engineering approval tomorrow, tooling time of my supplier is 10 days, production about 7 -10 days depending on quantity and about 5 - 6 days for the shipment to arrive here. and they work on Saturdays :D

I would be interested to know in the tooling cost you have to pay, we can discuss this via PM if you'd like to.
Our tooling cost is 1500 USD. The best USA quote I've seen was 1300. We don't outsource.

As per above you can do the maths ;) if all goes well and the quote is right cases should be available mid of June,[/QUOTE]

I get the impression you want to take over the project? It makes no sense to compete. Ultimately we need to choose the best design and quality. Will discuss with you by PM.

Not sure why I can't edit the above post...

Does that mean that your DIY enclosure for the ODAC will be significantly less than the standalone units currently available for pre-order over at JDS Labs website?

Yes, this is only a case and will be priced like the B2-080 at Newark.

The Standalone ODAC on our site includes more:

-Case Body
-Front and Rear endplates
-Audio Jack and SMT soldering
-ODAC board

If you add the materials cost of all of these items and add normal retail markup (even at 1000pcs), cost should be higher than what we settled on. We agreed to sell ODAC boards under $100 to meet NwAvGuy's goal. Unfortunately, this has the effect of making cased options look like price gouging. Check the link I posted last night ^^^.

swalter, the case design looks fantastic!

massless, are you from JDS labs? If you are, can i ask if JDS be making a enclosure with both line out + RCA?

Yes, I am JDS.

Since the ODAC only has a single line output signal, an endplate with both 3.5mm and RCA outputs wasn't considered. Too many customers ignore instructions and labels, so we design products to minimize user errors. If we were to sell a standalone ODAC with 3.5mm and RCA line outputs, I'm sure some people would wrongly assume both outputs are usable. That's also why we omitted the line output on our O2+ODAC endplate (it's already in use by the O2).

If there's demand, we could produce an endplate for the B2-080 with RCA outputs and 3.5mm jacks. But this would need to be sold as a DIY endplate, not a finished product.

I completely agree with you on those common assumptions people tend to make.

I'm also quite confident there will be a big demand for the custom DIY faceplate with both line out and RCA. Will you be able to put up a survey/poll on the official JDS site so your customers can feedback?

I completely agree with you on those common assumptions people tend to make.

I'm also quite confident there will be a big demand for the custom DIY faceplate with both line out and RCA. Will you be able to put up a survey/poll on the official JDS site so your customers can feedback?

We'll come up with something soon.

Swalter hasn't replied to my PM, so we began extrusion die production today. He's welcome to do his own thing, although it would be nice if we can all agree on a standard case body.

Manufacturing in the USA may take longer, but I spoke with our shop and they say it's extremely risky to rush die production and extrusions.

--JDS

We'll come up with something soon.

Swalter hasn't replied to my PM, so we began extrusion die production today. He's welcome to do his own thing, although it would be nice if we can all agree on a standard case body.

Manufacturing in the USA may take longer, but I spoke with our shop and they say it's extremely risky to rush die production and extrusions.

--JDS

Hi JDS,

I typed up a message for you yesterday but for some reason it did not get sent, just sent you a new one.
I understand that you are in a rush to get production up and running, but if you read my PM you might understand why I will stick to my design for the small enclosure for now. 14mm in height just won't fit RCA plugs, 16 would have been the sweet spot.

I like your enclosure though and will keep it in mind for future projects (those that do not need RCA sockets ;) )

Hi JDS,

I typed up a message for you yesterday but for some reason it did not get sent, just sent you a new one.
I understand that you are in a rush to get production up and running, but if you read my PM you might understand why I will stick to my design for the small enclosure for now. 14mm in height just won't fit RCA plugs, 16 would have been the sweet spot.

I like your enclosure though and will keep it in mind for future projects (those that do not need RCA sockets ;) )

No hard feelings, I guess there will be three case options then.

We'll have to disagree on this. The B2-080 with a blank O2 PCB (except 9V terminals) I think makes more sense if using RCA jacks, while the 14mm design is more suitable for the 3.5mm edition.

Here's our plastic prototype:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.