• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Group Purchase for CineMag Input Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AndrewT said:
what price if you can get to 50 units?

50 pieces is $36.51 (by the way, this price as well as the 11-49 piece price I posted include the additional $1.50 for the 3/8" bushing option). Not a big difference. David says that they just don't jack the price up sky high for the smaller numbers.

Can you estimate postage to UK?

Sure. You want the estimate for 6 pieces? Just give me a city name and post code.

By the way, I plan to ship all orders via Unite States Postal Service either Priority Mail for domestic shipments or Global Priority Mail for overseas shipments.

I might go for 6 pieces to help you get there.

Okie doke. I'll put you down as "tentative." :)

Can you spoonfeed me with what is required at the output stage and the input stage at either end of this transformer?

As Bas has already pointed out, they like to see a 600 ohm or less source impedance and a 15k or greater load impedance.

I've driven them with source impedances as high as 1.2k without any problems though. High impedance 1:1 trannies like this have rather more wiggle room than some others such as step-up trannies.

se

CK, if they're anything like the Jensens, they'll do very well as input phase splitters, giving you the additional versatility of being able to use balanced or unbalanced sources. The galvanic isolation is a bonus. To use them as input phase splitters, get some matched resistors at a value 1/2 the total desired secondary load. The balance will be as good as your resistor match.

Thanks for confirming that, SY... I figured they could be used as input phase splitters. Maybe someone can post a list of neat things these little guys can do on the wiki.

Thanks again to Steve for showing this inexpensive alternative. I've been interested in using input transformers lately for a few projects, and this seems like a great way to get some of them going.

If the QTY pricing goes down, I may be in for more.

motherone said:
Maybe someone can post a list of neat things these little guys can do on the wiki.

Whew. That would take quite a while. I mean, these things can be used for everything from paperwights to defensive weapons. :)

If the QTY pricing goes down, I may be in for more.

Don't know if you saw my previous post, but the 50-99 piece pricing only drops the unit price by $1.75. So unless you're going to buy a dozen or so, it doesn't seem like much of a savings.

But hey, if we can get commitments for 50 pieces or more, all the better I suppose.

se

By the way, I've got some estimates on shipping. I forgot that I don't need a city or post code to get shipping rates for international shipments.

Although I'll charge postage for the exact weight, I did the estimating using 1 pound and 2 pound packages. The transformers I have on hand were custom made in C size cans (I wanted them to be the same size as a microphone trannie I was thinking of using them with) so they're a bit heavier than the actual 15/15Bs. These weigh just about 3 ounces.

1 pound to just about anywhere in Europe is $10.00. To Canada, $8.00.

2 pounds is $15.00 to Europe and $11.00 to Canada.

If you're getting just a pair of transformers, the shipping weight will be somewhat less than a pound so figure somewhat less than $10.00 and $8.00.

se

Bas Horneman said:
Steve would it be possible to get some other types as well? I am thinking about getting the cmmi-10c as well as a MC stepup transformer.

Hmmm. Do you mean as group purchases or just adding them to your order of the 15/15Bs?

By the way, CineMag doesn't make any dedicated MC stepups. Or were you thinking of using one of their mic input trannies for that rather like how some are using vintage mic input trannies for MC stepup?

If so, their Quad Eight vintage mic trannie (the CMQEE-3440A) would be good for that.

Anyway, if you just want to add some other trannies to your order, I don't have a problem with that. If you're talking about group purchases, I suppose we can do that too if you think there'd be enough demand for them.

se

Or were you thinking of using one of their mic input trannies for that rather like how some are using vintage mic input trannies for MC stepup?
Yes, I was thinking of using it like that.

If so, their Quad Eight vintage mic trannie (the CMQEE-3440A) would be good for that.
Ok..thanks for the suggestion..what is it's price?

Anyway, if you just want to add some other trannies to your order, I don't have a problem with that
Thank you..that would be great...

If you're talking about group purchases, I suppose we can do that too if you think there'd be enough demand for them.
I don't know if there would be enough demand for that.

Bas Horneman said:
Ok..thanks for the suggestion..what is it's price?

Don't know. David's out to lunch so I'll have to get back with the price.

I don't know if there would be enough demand for that.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But there's not a huge difference in the price breaks so onesies-twosies won't be so bad anyway.

se

Steve Eddy said:

Whew. That would take quite a while. I mean, these things can be used for everything from paperwights to defensive weapons. :)

I can imagine.. But a few ideas for input/output on preamps, and maybe phase splitting for amplifiers? I dunno. I'm not the best guy at coming up with interesting audio ideas, but I figured maybe some of the more savvy forum members might have some nifty things to post about!

Steve Eddy said:

Don't know if you saw my previous post, but the 50-99 piece pricing only drops the unit price by $1.75. So unless you're going to buy a dozen or so, it doesn't seem like much of a savings.

But hey, if we can get commitments for 50 pieces or more, all the better I suppose.

se

My apologies. I did miss your post on the additional pricing :D

motherone said:
I can imagine.. But a few ideas for input/output on preamps, and maybe phase splitting for amplifiers? I dunno. I'm not the best guy at coming up with interesting audio ideas, but I figured maybe some of the more savvy forum members might have some nifty things to post about!

Oh, THAT kind of stuff. :D

Well first of all I wouldn't recommend using them on outputs. They're best suited for inputs.

And you can use them on the inputs of preamps or amps as long as you give them a nice 15k load. For phase splitting, just use a pair of 7.5k resistors in series across the secondary and take your ground reference from the node between the two resistors.

Pretty simple really.

My apologies. I did miss your post on the additional pricing :D

No problem. I almost missed it myself. :)

se

SY, here's an amplitude/group delay plot David made this afternoon.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And here's an Audio Precision tech note on the AP's group delay measurement which includes some stuff on some measurement anomalies.

Computing Group Delay from Phase Data Using APWIN

In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can find out how Jensen's doing their "DLP" plots, which are in degrees, rather than seconds.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.