• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Richard,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I am at present awaiting the arrival of two phono PCB's and a semiconductor pack from Pass Labs. This was all they had available.

I would definitely be interested in purchasing the PSU kit if you would sell it separately.
Also if my PCB & semiconductor pack does not materialize then I would definitely be interested in the phono kit too, but understandably you may not want to wait.

What prices are you asking Richard?

regards
Roy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
PCB's + parts

Dan /Roy

Apologies for the delay in posting a response to both of you. I figured late in the day that I better be safe rather than sorry and get to the stage where I had powered up my first set of boards just in case I cooked any of the parts and needed spares!!

Anyway successfully powered up both borards this pm so all well:

R8 28.4 and 28.4
Q4 13.2 and 13.2
Q3 23.8 and 23.8

Will post a picture once I have everthing into the case.

So definetly now have available for you guys:

2x PSU PCB's + promitheus parts kit (includes 2 X 10000uF Panasonic caps and 2 x 1uF Mundorf M-cap) price £20 + postage

2x Pearl Phono PCB's + Promitheus parts kits (includes matched quad 2SK170BL RIAA parts) -price £100 + postage.

Come back to me on the board or on richard4g(-AT-)yahoo.com

Richard

"Low output MC and Pearl"

Most likely not - the Pearl is a MM RIAA, but people have used high output MC's with OK results - so I have heard.
However, Promethius have made a MC front end for the Pearl (same as the one in the Aleph Ono) - with this front end you can use any type of MM and MC cartridge. Try and PM him - he might still have board for this...

Kind regards
Hans

I have a complete Pearl Kit, with PCBs and parts, for sale. I bought it from Promitheus two years ago and just haven't had time to do it. And I don't see myself having time in the near future, so someone else ought to have it. I paid $258 two years ago so am asking $250 plus shipping. Payment by PayPal, please, but I'll also accept a money order, etc, under appropriate circumstances.

If the purchaser wishes, I will include a Hammond 182K30 transformer I bought for the PS for an extra $25 (and extra shipping, as it's heavy!). This now retails at digikey for $61.44. Email me at rgheck@comcast.net.

Offers happily considered. Lowballers happily ignored.

I was using an enclosure from digikey, with some oak sides but the wiring was terrible and I had problems with RFI. I've since replanted my pearl into a case for a vacuum sensor and readout that hasn't worked since the early 80's. Pretty much any old metal case will do.

ps. I've used the stock pearl with a lyra dorian and it provided plenty of gain in my system.

Woo hoo! I have ordered my HiFi2000 cases - that French website had the best postage rates

I am a little confused about the earthing and would really appreciate comments from the collective wisdom..

This is my interpretation of how it should go together:

Chassis Grounds:

Chassis of the PSU case will be grounded to mains earth. This earth will be carried along the cord to the Pearl case and then connected to the Pearl chassis earth.

Signal Ground:

Each input and output will be grounded via the respective PCB connection points. Of course, each phono socket will be insulated from the chassis.

The point of connection between signal ground and chassis ground will be a star earth that connects the chassis to the earth point in the centre of each Pearl PCB.

Does that make sense, and is that the correct way to do it? My rationale is to keep the signal and chassis earths isolated until one central point, to keep the potential of earth loops and hum at a minimum...

Cases

I have my cases now and they are very nice, just sorry I did not buy the 10 mm front panels, but I have no good power tools to drill metal so the thinner front panel had to do.

I also bought the silver wire and Teflon sleeving for connecting boards/RCA's as I think it was worth the extra few Euros.

I will post a few pics when I have them assembled. As for the ground connections I think your idea is sound (no pun intended :D ) but I am waiting on a diagram from someone who has built a few of the Pearl stages and has finalized the layout that gives best results.

I intend to use a 5 pin XLR for the umbilical power cord but using 2 of the pins with separate screened cable for each output from the PSU boards.

BTW if you use the Galaxy cases you have a choice to place the multi-ribbed sides facing out or the three ribbed sides. Also when you receive them and think they have sent no screws look inside the ribs :)

The cases are a really nice secure and precise fit

Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.