• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pearl phono PCBs Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had some requests for more KITs and I still had some parts and PCBs but uncompleted KITs laying around.

I finaly found time to match parts and put the last KITs together.

I have 15 KITs and some extra PCBS.
These will be the last available KITs from me so the first ones to order will also get them.

If you are interested please contact me for more details.

Greetings Promitheus

Hi All

Yesterday i put all the bits and pieces together from the kit, i have to say i really enjoyed myself!! first time true hole soldering... not that i soldered that much more than my own interlinks, a few speaker wires and few part there (about 10 years ago)... Today i went to the shop to get a transformer and some other essential parts (fuse, wire and so on) and hopefully i'll be able to play some music tonight. It's my first project.... :)

If anyone has some good tip for me before firing up this baby, please let me know

But yesterday i was trying to figure out where to use the nice little black 100k resistor from the riaa pack, i presume it must be R24 since that resistor is mentioned in the riaa network description and most people seem to have used the nice little black one there aswell. Accept for Igreen, he has the nice little black one as r15 (see post 458). Don't know if this was already mentioned to him by someone or if it's any problem at all... but i thought lets mention it anyway.

Anyway, cant wait to go home, finish this and start testing!!

cheers,

c

Hello,

R24 is part of the RIAA filter with C11 and C12 there.
Dont forget to connect the ground wire were C15 is. Thats the white line on the PCB.
If you have already soldered C15 its no problem just solder the wire under the PCB.

For those who have sent emails and ask about the PEarl KIT, I still have around 10 KITs left so if you are interested get them while they are still there because as I said these will be the last ones I will have.

Size of PSU boards?

I have one of these KITS on order (Big thanks again to Promethius for putting this together).

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me the dimensions of the PSU boards. I'm trying to locate some enclosures for both the Power Supply and the phono section and want to make sure I get one large enough (but not too large).

Also, does anyone see a problem with using 2 of these transformers instead of the single Plitron mentioned in the original Pass document?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=122-605
I am assuming there wouldn't be a problem wiring these in series to get a single 30V output. Let me know if I'm making the wrong assumptions. In the US, this is probably one of the cheaper solutions that I've been able to find, using Toroids anyway. Since I'm already going to place an order to P.E., this should save on a separate shipping charge.

promitheus said:
The dimensions are 126mm x 178mm. I think its 5x7" for one.

You can use secondaries in series to get higher voltages.
like 2 x 30V to get 60V.

Is that dimension for the PS board or the Pearl board? Seems big for the the PS boards. I was asking about the PS board. I already plan to use a full size component chassis for the Pearl boards, I just wanted to make sure I get a big enough size for the Power Supply boards/transformer, etc.

upps!
didnt read the whole post correctly.
Each PSU board is 40mmx90mm.
Take a look at the photo.
Its kinda tall with the snap in cap.
The cap is 50mm tall.

Attachments

• psucloseup.jpg
    psucloseup.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 714
oke, i'm back on track...

first off all, my question about the ground wire, case of rtfm. in other words, culture, follow the schematic and figure it out yourself. clear!! Soldered a piece of wire between the minus from c15 to the ground connection..

well, i connected psu units to the transformer and measured the voltage... only 12 volts?!?!! when i tried to measure the voltage on the input everything went dark… I blew out the fuse.. stupid and a sign I need to be a bit more careful. Since I don’t have a spare fuse and really like to move on I removed the fuse holder and started all over again.. and tada!! 40 volts  time to connect the amps!!
And well, no smoke or lights turning off.. as far as I can see everything is working just fine so far. I measured the voltages which are specified on the board

These are the values:
Q3 24,0 and 24,1 should be 24,6
Q4 13,3 and 13,4 should be 13,8
R8 28,5 and 28,6 should be 29

my guess i this is pretty much oke, though i would like some conformation from the experts if possible.

cheers,

C.

Re: Size of PSU boards?

billbillw said:

Also, does anyone see a problem with using 2 of these transformers instead of the single Plitron mentioned in the original Pass document?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=122-605
I am thinking about getting this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=122-630&scqty=1
The only uncertainty is that it may have a bit more than 30VAC into the rectifier due to the small current drawn. I wonder 2 of the smaller ones will work better, same cost ....

Re: Re: Size of PSU boards?

pchw said:

I am thinking about getting this:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=122-630&scqty=1
The only uncertainty is that it may have a bit more than 30VAC into the rectifier due to the small current drawn. I wonder 2 of the smaller ones will work better, same cost ....

That's a whopper for what we need. 8x larger current capability. I'd be worried about current in-rush blowing the fuses at startup, but maybe I'm off base. The Pearl does have over 100,000uf capacitance total.

I checked straight with Plitron and they want $20 to ship a single transformer. That makes it almost $80 for the tranny. I'll probably go with two of the smaller ones from P.E. and stack them to save space. They are only 1" high after all. The PS caps are almost 2" tall anyway.

well so much for the response of the experts...

It's Play'in!!!!! Sounds wonderful :)

First step is made in retiring my marantz pm4000 and drive my rega R5 with something descent

Thanks promitheus for the kit and the pointing me out to this ground bridge. It's been a real joy building it!!
Thanks Mr Pass & Co for the circuit!!!!

Time to build a nice little home for this nice device (and add the fuse back to the circuit) :)

Cheers

C.

Culture, glad to hear you have some nice sounds coming from your project! Sounds like you didn't need the experts after all :)

Just wanted to mention that I've contacted Avel (by email) in the US to see if they sell directly and how much the actual 30V+30V, in a 30VA size, (Y236107 or D4007) would be in the US. Since its not really much different than the 15V+15V (30VA) that Parts Express sells, it might be quite a bit cheaper than buying two of the lower voltage ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.