• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

0-42 0-42, 1500VA Toroidals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need one of these for the stereo ZAPpulse amp I will be building and am looking to get custom made as it's hard to find over 1000VA at suppliers. This transformer would be absolutely perfect for a pair of UcD400 or ZAPpulse putting out 400W RMS into 4 ohms.

Is there any interest in a group buy? Initially looking at UK participants, but may include further afield if people are interested. Please let me know if you are interested and I will contact some suppliers.

Hi, I actualy have four transformeres sitting about at the moment that will just about match/beet the specifications that you ahve listed above.

I don't know the exact specs on them, but after a lot of reaserch into them, it looks like they are custom wound parts from a small company in the UK (who won't give out any information as I'm not the original customer). I would conservitively rate tham as being at least 1500VA (probably closer to 200VA, as they weigh close to 13kg each) with dual 40V secondaries.

While I don't want to sell all of these (I would like to make two of them into something silly one day), I would be quite happy to let two of them go, so if you are interested, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Andrew.

Being in the UK I would imagine that having something of that weight shipped from Canada would be prohibitively expensive. I'm not specifically looking to get a custom made design, just that as it seems to be hard to find over 1000VA in catalogues etc. I may have to go that way.

bigparsnip,

Thanks for the offer it sounds good. However, 40V is probably just a little too low. I will bear you in mind if I don't have much luck.

Amplimo sells a standard 2000 VA 42V AC toroid. Its costs around 250 euro (but experience is that Amplimo is willing to drop their price if you order a few).

It is 22 cm (almost 9") diameter and probably weighs 16 kilo or so (I have more specs at home).

Its not mentioned on their site but it exists. You can see some pics of it on this Dutch forum:

http://www.htforum.nl/yabbse/index.php?topic=18962.0
http://www.amplimo.nl/

I had thought of using two transformers but a single one wins everytime:

No danger/problems with paralleling (I must have shared PSU so can bridge amps).

One big is cheaper than two small ones.

One big has better regulation and efficiency than two small ones.

One big takes up less volume and is less heavy than two small ones.

Thanks for the links to suppliers guys, but I think I need to restrict myself to UK suppliers in order to avoid high shipping costs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.