• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ACP+ Preamp/HPA for Yarra Preamp

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Bones,
C111 can be reduced from 3300uF in size to give more room for HS clearance. Bend the Mosfet legs to move them forward. I found these tweaks to help a lot.

Attachments

• 8621C36C-4297-4902-BE21-6D01FEFFFBB4.jpg
    8621C36C-4297-4902-BE21-6D01FEFFFBB4.jpg
    732.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 3D6D73B4-0EF9-46FF-A6FE-C35C5C157F4D.jpg
    3D6D73B4-0EF9-46FF-A6FE-C35C5C157F4D.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 9C612115-7D11-4B31-9C58-AE6843DECE25.jpg
    9C612115-7D11-4B31-9C58-AE6843DECE25.jpg
    913.8 KB · Views: 145
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for that. It’s a good fallback position.I have the standard Nichicon caps in place. I’ll try some of the heat sinks that I have ordered, and decide if I want to downsize caps, and bend legs. Now, if someone, in Europe, were to get some of the specified heat sinks ordered for a group buy...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I plan to. I got the power bypass caps with the correct pitch for the Hakuin cards too. Next soldering session I get, I’ll finish Hakuin, and mount the output transistors on the ACP+, and try to figure out the final resistor with lab PSU, and potentiometer. I’ll try to remember to shoot temps.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Finished the Hakuin boards (all the possible SMT parts used) and the ACP+ boards. I did not have time to tap the PSU of one of the M2x units to power the ACP+ boards to work on the bias resistor before we headed off to the beach for the weekend. I will get there. Thanks XRK!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Small condo in a small town on the Florida Panhandle. Weather is going to be in the low 60s this afternoon when I go for my walk. We come about 2 weekends a month. My wife loves the beach, I like the 2 days away.

But yes, life is good. It was so crowded this year with all the parents/kids doing remote work/school.

For us M2X users, I would appreciate any tips on how the overall gain of this ACP board can be adjusted.I think, as designed, it’s probably +9dB. I would like +5dB.

Any advice?

I also have the same question for the PCA and Hakuin boards. The WBA18 and Melbourne gain setting adjustments have already been documented in their respective threads.

Thanks,
Anand.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The feedback resistor R109 is between the output and the second JFET on the LTP.
850196d1591382163-acp-preamp-hpa-yarra-preamp-39b72e46-5acd-4973-891f-74e592e7a373-jpeg

This is a Pass circuit so maybe you would be better off getting an answer from the ACP+ thread in the Pass forum? If I were to offer any changes to the gain, I can’t guarantee it will be stable.

Typically making feedback resistor smaller in value will lower gain...

Last edited:
Hello,

I noticed that Vunce jumpered C101. Is that the recommendation if using the Yarra motherboard?

I also noticed Vunce jumped something else with a little red jumper. Was that necessary only on the prototype board or is that something we need to pay attention to?

Edit, as well is X111 only needed if wanting a headphone output?

Thanks,
Alan

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X111 should be jumpered 1-2 for headphones out. But if using as preamp, jumper 2-3 to give it a 32ohm load. The circuit ideally likes to be loaded to give the correct harmonic profile. But if you reduce the bias current, increase the on board load resistor accordingly. Probably 100ohm is fine for general use

Vunce bypassed C101 as the Yarra main board provided the cap coupling. Be careful when using the ACP+ elsewhere where there might not be cap coupled input.

Finally started soldering on my Yarra boards last night. It's only been how many years?!? So I'm planning on building up the Haikun and ACP+ boards. H111, the phototransistor, is out of stock on Mouser. A few potential substitutes appear to be 782-IL1208AT and 782-IL212AT. Specs appear very similar with the exception of the Current Transfer Ratio. The original spec'd part has a CRT of 130%. The other parts I found are 80% and 320% respectively. Any thoughts on how these might perform in the circuit? I'm afraid that 80% won't be enough or 320% would be too much.