Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Group Buys Members group buys

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean Times
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM   #611
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Hi Wtnh,
So have you had enough time to listen to the new FH9 amp to tell us your listening impressions? I think you have LX mini's for speakers?
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #612
wtnh is offline wtnh  United States
diyAudio Member

Only a few hours so far with my "street speakers", but I can say it is very clean in the midrange and high end and has plenty of low-end "grunt". I would describe it as effortless since it has so much reserve power.

I am still tweaking bias. My workbench area is a bit chilly (65 F) so it takes about an hour of playing at moderate volumes to reach thermal equilibrium.

Still to do - button it up and do some full-power dummy load testing and distortion measurements.

I may get brave and try it with my Martin Logans - but I will probably wait until I can install SSRs. I may a-b it with my McCormack DNA (500 Watts), but I suspect it will hold its own.

So far I am very happy with the sound! I would recommend this amp to anyone wanting to build a quality A/B amp and I am very glad I chose it.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #613
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear that the amp is sounding promising. Effortless is a good word to summarize it.

Quote:
I am still tweaking bias. My workbench area is a bit chilly (65 F) so it takes about an hour of playing at moderate volumes to reach thermal equilibrium.
Your chassis heatsinks are probably oversized. I would not worry about it reaching equilibrium - it gets there eventually. You can also leave it on - but maybe wait until you have an SSR speaker protect to do that.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #614
dBel84 is offline dBel84  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine has been left on for weeks at a time. Still perfect and no bad behavior.
  Reply to this post

FH9HVX - Budget Conscious 100w Class AB for Lean TimesHide this!Advertise here!