• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (14th GB)

Yes, that's true, some underestimate the chip amplifiers ...

So far I've built a Rev.C 1.4, and a chip amp with 6 LM3886 per channel (3886BTL amp) from Jims Audio.

And I can only say that the chip (3886) amplifiers are absolutely top.
And now the anticipation for the My_Ref Fremen is huge ...

The LM3886 is a great building block. That is why it was used in the first place for this project. The stability at unity voltage gain was addressed from version one.
There have been many more designs built. I have never seen a Neurochrome amplifier, but reputation is great. Some have praised the Akitka LM3886 amp, very different design, single voltage rail, regulated, capacitor coupled.
A friend bragged on his Jeff Rowland Integrated that had multiple LM3886 chips per channel. He finally sold it and then wanted it back. That was 20 years ago.
I have been playing around with a Micromega MyAmp recently. Resonant mode power supply, dac, and Bluetooth. Very quiet. Great volume controller. One LM3886 per channel. Weighs 1 kg. With a little work it sounds great.
Waiting to build another Fremen to see if it outperforms my current version. Might.

New delay

Sorry but I'm not ready yet with the updated design, I've managed to include alternate compensation for opamps other than LM318 but still trying to figure out how to allow TO247 resistor in R3 without a complete redesign of the board.

Also we're still missing 4 kits to have made in Italy PCBs.

All deadlines are postponed two weeks, I'm going to update the opening post accordingly.

Last edited:
Sorry but I'm not ready yet with the updated design, I've managed to include alternate compensation for opamps other than LM318 but still trying to figure out how to allow TO247 resistor in R3 without a complete redesign of the board.

Also we're still missing 4 kits to have made in Italy PCBs.

All deadlines are postponed two weeks, I'm going to update the opening post accordingly.

I'll take on those 4 kits so we can get the PCB's made in Italy

Would like to add, that in this moment of 'revisitations', I would pay loads of attention to the works of Mark Johnson.
I have just tried to Quasimodo my things (dacs, Myref amps) - with truely great result.
Hats off to Mark!

So I would also go and see what does he have to say about rectifiers.

Ciao, George

I saw mention of using Cree diodes in place of MUR820G. Did not see part number in BOM.
Which model has been tested?

These ones:

attachment.php

But, as you can imagine, I have yet to try them...

Others did and reported improved perceived sound quality.

Attachments

• IMG_0543[1].jpg
    IMG_0543[1].jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 746