• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My_Ref Fremen Edition GB (14th GB)

Dario,

Do I correctly assume that you evaluated the Isabellenhutten R3's as bare resistors, that is, not using George's brass damping plate (see photo)? I admit that I jumped straight to the damped version, but I guess that the copper plate Mundorf's will likely be even better.

As an aside, it is really amazing how adding some copper adds to the price. The MREU's are an example. The same is true with the Miflex caps. Both versions that used copper foil are mid $50 range for 1 uF where the aluminum foil version are mid to high $20 range.

Jac

Attachments

• Isabelle B.JPG
    Isabelle B.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 250
Sorry, I've missed Dales, obviously they're fine if same specs, I was referring to the other brands.

Nevertheless I suggest you to buy new also the Vishay-Dales following the BOM, unless you already bought the very same ones (TCR and tollerance).

The precision ones has also a (much lower) TCR which according my listening test means better sound for RN55s.

No problem Dario.

I will order the Dale RN55 listed in the BOM, because mine here are cmf55 types.

The Holco have a TRC = 5ppm/°C and a tolerance of 0.05%, which is exemplary. Or is it not?

The Holco have a TRC = 5ppm/°C and a tolerance of 0.05%, which is exemplary. Or is it not?

Alas, low TCR and/or high precision is not a guarantee, at least in my experience. For example, Welwyn RC55Y's have great specs and design, but sound very dull compared to Dale RN55's. Maybe not the difference between Caddock and MREU, but the RN55 are available and not too expensive, so the best thing is to follow the BOM and then experiment on your own afterwards, if you are curious.

You would be amazed how much effort, time, and money that Dario spends on this BOM. Of course, each person and system are different, so my builds don't always end up the same as the BOM, but I always am open to anything Dario recommends.

Jac

No problem, but it looks like the OUT is pretty tight to the R3 Heat Sink. That is something that I didn't expect. I will definitely be using an insulated Faston.
It's not as tight as it seems...
attachment.php

Doh I don't like this course of events.. I will have to buy 4 for my Evo... :santa2:
I would so... ;) :D
Do I correctly assume that you evaluated the Isabellenhutten R3's as bare resistors, that is, not using George's brass damping plate (see photo)? I admit that I jumped straight to the damped version, but I guess that the copper plate Mundorf's will likely be even better.
Yes, Jac, you're correct, I've tested the Isabellenhuette as they are.
I have no idea if the brass damping reduces bass.
As Jac already noted there are parts with impressive specs and bad sound like the RC55Y but I was also referring to the fact Dales RN55 sound better in the precision version.
Beyschlags MBB/SMA on the contrary sound almost good while the precision version do present a weird coloration.

Attachments

• 20201117_155035134_iOS.jpg
    20201117_155035134_iOS.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Alas, low TCR and/or high precision is not a guarantee, at least in my experience. For example, Welwyn RC55Y's have great specs and design, but sound very dull compared to Dale RN55's. Maybe not the difference between Caddock and MREU, but the RN55 are available and not too expensive, so the best thing is to follow the BOM and then experiment on your own afterwards, if you are curious.

You would be amazed how much effort, time, and money that Dario spends on this BOM. Of course, each person and system are different, so my builds don't always end up the same as the BOM, but I always am open to anything Dario recommends.

Jac

That's right in the end it's the hearing impression that counts and not the information on the data sheets.
If I already know that I want to experiment, I will buy a second set of circuit boards.
That's how I did it with My_Ref.C.

I know how much time, cost and effort Dario invests, so this time I bought a set of circuit boards

Lennart

That's right in the end it's the hearing impression that counts and not the information on the data sheets.
If I already know that I want to experiment, I will buy a second set of circuit boards.
That's how I did it with My_Ref.C.

I know how much time, cost and effort Dario invests, so this time I bought a set of circuit boards

Lennart

Exactly!

That said, if you get around to experimenting, I would be curious to learn how the Holco's sound.

Holco’s

I used Holco about 30 years ago. In some circuits they developed pops and crackles over time. Took a long time to identify the issue.
Hopefully they are improved. These are the 1/4 and1/2 watt versions. All black.
They seemed very neutral. Great Sonics.
Later Michael Percy disclosed they did not like high voltage. But I had issues even with low voltage drops across them.

Alas, low TCR and/or high precision is not a guarantee, at least in my experience. For example, Welwyn RC55Y's have great specs and design, but sound very dull compared to Dale RN55's.
Jac

Some of the Welwyn have steel end caps. Even low tolerance versions.
I used to carry a magnet with me when visiting the surplus shops in Houston and Dallas. Silver mica caps were the worst, most have steel leads.

I used to carry a magnet with me when visiting the surplus shops in Houston and Dallas. Silver mica caps were the worst, most have steel leads.

I remember surplus shops. They were always an adventure.

I used to avoid steel end caps, but I found some old RN60's made by Corning (blue) in my father's parts bin. They seem to sound fine.

That said, I hate it when the steel leads stick to my cutter because they are magnetic. ;-)

The RC55Y I've tried, bought from RS Components and Mouser, have non magnetic end caps anc copper leads, still they sound not good at all...

3rd week attempt

This is the 3rd week attempting to ship boards, after a 2 hours and half line the post office closed before I could even be admitted in (as last week...:mad:)...
They admit only 4 people at a time so it takes forever.
Sorry guys, some more patience is neeeded...

Attachments

• 20201205_090514295_iOS.jpg
    20201205_090514295_iOS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179