• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Soft as a Feather Pillow (SFP) SSR Soft Start Circuit GB

Turns out I'll have to wait till the end of the month. Other stuff has cropped up and takes priority. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy in any case. This is really a great design XRK and co. Many thanks. Fortunately all components are readily available locally, if a little more dear, but then C&E would hit me with taxes in any case.

Kevin

Just a heads up for members considering buying these pcb's from X, you might have to split your component order over both Mouser and Digikey, as Mouser has no stock of U2 and Digikey has no stock of U4 currently.

For U2, RS might work. Not sure if this part of an acceptable substitution:
TLP3906(E(O Toshiba CAD model download | Octopart

RS do some attractive shopping rates last time I checked.

Looking at the RS link, it seems they have a minimum purchase of 10 units.

Ordered mine from Digikey this morning and received a shipping email at lunchtime from them - great service and free delivery by UPS.

RS have free delivery at the moment as well.

Last edited:
Yes X, both Mouser and Digikey offer free guaranteed delivery from their US warehouses via Fedex or UPS as long as the order totals more than $50.00 USD - which is easy. So I always make sure the value is above the limit.

Normal delivery to my door in rural NSW is 4 days by both, that is very good service indeed.

RS Online here delivers Australia wide for free no matter what the order total is, but that changes from time to time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The new v2.3 SFP PCB's just arrived. These have the new pads for the three NTC's.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SFP-v2.3-PCB-photo.jpg
    SFP-v2.3-PCB-photo.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 1,132
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It is not a zero crossing relay - it is similar in topology to the SSR's used on the SSR DC protection relays that I have. It acts as a very low resistance piece of wire when it is on. It doesn't modulate or add distortion to the AC sinewave. Neither I nor Vunce have experienced any issue with increased hum on the trafos when using this.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
What toroid are you talking about?

You mean this?
821339d1583046754-soft-feather-pillow-sfp-ssr-soft-start-circuit-gb-sfp-v2-1-gh-testing-jpg

That’s not part of the SFP circuit. I just wrap my mains from the wall through that 2-3 turns in opposite directions for the line and the neutral as a common mode filter choke. These are eBay/Ali-Express circa 25mm ferrite donuts. No spec other than diameter. Similar to this:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/att...soft-start-circuit-gb-sfp-v2-1-gh-testing-jpg

Anyhow, it’s not needed for the SFP to work. I just use it to reduce RFI from the walls reaching my amp.

Last edited: