Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Cinema Mags CM-1254 Transformers - Group Buy
Cinema Mags CM-1254 Transformers - Group Buy
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2020, 09:50 PM   #61
galyons is offline galyons  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm in Threaded x 2
Old 25th March 2020, 10:42 PM   #62
gogzhad is offline gogzhad  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay, with galyons, the list stands as follows:

1 Gigigirl Threaded x 2
2 Johno210, Threaded x 2
3 gogzhad, Threaded x 2
4 stroob, threaded x 2
5 unixdeveloper, solder (or threaded) x 2
6 2split10, leads (2d choice pcb) x 2
7 Durabolin77, Threaded x 2 (2nd choice: Standard)
8 ymwong, Threaded x 2
9 galyons, Threaded x 2

Total of 18 pieces. Freecrowder, would you be able to give us a cost for each pair and we can specify shipping in a note to you appended to our paypal payment? We can each figure our shipping in advance if you'd provide a ship-from US zip code.

Or is there some kind of customary way to do this?
Old 26th March 2020, 12:47 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogzhad View Post
Okay, with galyons, the list stands as follows:

Or is there some kind of customary way to do this?
They should fit easily in a USPS small flatrate box. Quick and cheap.

Cheers,
Geary
Old 26th March 2020, 04:15 PM   #64
JohnnoG is offline JohnnoG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If a price can be supplied for a X2 order with shipping costs to the UK,
I might be persuaded to buy a pair to compare with my Hashimoto HM-3 SUT.
Does this specification of the Cinemag CM 1254, compare to the HM-3 ?
Old 26th March 2020, 06:13 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnoG View Post
If a price can be supplied for a X2 order with shipping costs to the UK,
I might be persuaded to buy a pair to compare with my Hashimoto HM-3 SUT.
Does this specification of the Cinemag CM 1254, compare to the HM-3 ?
HM3's are my daily driver. They were preceded by Cinemag 3440A, Blue Label, which was the top of the Cinemag line when I purchased them. The Hashi's are, IMO, much better in micro details, imaging and timbre. As is usually the case, the improvement was not proportional to the price differential. Based on all that I read, the 1254's should be much closer. Hashimoto trannies get marked, up by the U.S. provider, (although SoundTradition OBS does not appear to be overly greedy!), and there is of course the usual international shipping costs.

Your motivation is the same as mine!

Cheers,
Geary
Old 26th March 2020, 09:04 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the comparison, I've heard the HM-3 compared to a few different SUT's and you are on the money when you describe the finesse of the delivery.

I have been informed that the type of SUT I should be trying to get a listen to is the TDP The Head TX4, as these are not such a common device, trusting in the experiences of others is a requirement to understand the performance on offer, as well as if there are up to date models that will be a close comparison.
I have been assured The Head would be the benchmark to make comparisons against.
Old 27th March 2020, 04:28 AM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnoG View Post
I have been assured The Head would be the benchmark to make comparisons against.
Well that would be a figurative combination of the Holy Grail and Don Quixote mounted on a unicorn. He produced 200, what, 25-30 years ago? I would not ever recommend such products as a benchmark simply because it is unlikely to be generally accessible for comparison. Too easy to claim " Best Ever!" when validation is nearly impossible.

This is a DIY site, so I guess there needs need to be a nod toward reality, that is products readily available to the DIYer. IMO, one would have to have a pretty impressive kit to go "pass" on some very fine, currently available, SUT's because they are not up to the rest of the system.

Of course,
YMMV,

Cheers,
Geary
Old 27th March 2020, 07:45 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

I'm not deterred, if a price for a X2 inclusive of shipping in the group buy can be supplied, I'm willing to acquire the important components, and then see who I can have produce them into a functioning SUT.

Just out of curiosity, I was thinking of producing a casing from a cut length of 3"inch Diameter copper pipe, the pipe wall will be about a sixteenth of a inch thick 1.5mm,
and have end caps produced from a 5mm copper plate.

The only parts seen outside the the casing would be the Female RCA Phono Connectors.

Would the casing be suitable or would another material be required to produce a inner lining, or would an additional outer cover for the Cinemag's be sufficient.

Last edited by JohnnoG; 27th March 2020 at 07:54 AM.
Old 27th March 2020, 05:40 PM   #69
gogzhad is offline gogzhad  United States
diyAudio Member

Getting back to coordinating the order and shipment of these, I reread this message thread and can't see where Freecrowder volunteered to coordinate, though at some point that idea entered the discussion. I do see where unixdeveloper offered to coordinate. I also saw where the quantity discount was stated at $95 each for orders of 10 or more.

So, to those who have been asking for specifics on price, expect to pay something like $95 each for the SUTs, around $9-$10 for sales tax, and shipping for the pair on top of that - IOW, roughly USD$210 plus shipping for each pair of these.

And to all, is someone willing to step in and act as coordinator for this group buy?
Old 27th March 2020, 11:18 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogzhad View Post
And to all, is someone willing to step in and act as coordinator for this group buy?
I do not want to step on any toes, but want to see this move forward. I am willing to order, receive and ship the CM-1254's. I have ordered from Cinemag before. I sent Dave an email requesting price and turnaround time. I am in California, so shipping from Cinemag to me would be minimal.

As I stated earlier, I would ship them out via a USPS Priority mail small flat rate box with insurance. This provides tracking, insurance and a relatively short transit time. For international it would be the same Priority Mail box at international rates. The country specific rates are available at Priority Mail International - Rates & Features | USPS

As soon as I have current pricing and production time, I will post. At that time, I will ask for final commitments.

Cheers,
Geary

Cinema Mags CM-1254 Transformers - Group BuyHide this!Advertise here!