• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable Tachometer and motor speed controller

Godataloss, Chromenuts advice is spot on, check the actual motor. 5W is OK that's only a bit more than the 3.5W airpax/premotec motors. If it's 10W then larger heatsink will be required on the transistors and potentially a couple of component changes. I think I would need to test this for you so you will need to confirm back. Post a picture of the motor label with the specifications.

Sorry for the crummy pic, but this is what's in my google drive from when I replaced the cap on the motor. I tried to sharpen it up and it indeed looks like it's labeled 10 watt. I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• vpi motor.jpg
    vpi motor.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 428
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Godataloss

It seems like it was common for people to “upgrade” there VPI turntables with these higher wattage motors which could be sourced cheaper from other Hurst suppliers instead of paying VPI a premium or VPI actually switched to them at some point because it was what was available from Hurst.

I’m not sure how much of a hassle it will be to drive a 10 watt motor.

I took a look around the web and saw your Hurst part number mentioned quite often when discussing motor replacement on the VPI tables.

I also came across an interesting thread on VPI’s forum where DIYAudio member Pyramid, who designed the Pheonix Engineering turntable control products as well as the SG4 project on this forum, discusses the characteristics of the 300 and 600 RPM Hurst motors as well as lower and higher wattage versions.

Pyramid posted data (much to Harry Wesfield’s chagrin) captured from a 3 axis accelerometer which he used to quantify the vibration created by the motors due to there cogging effect caused by permanent magnets.

I only mention this because it seems Pyramid appears to come to the conclusion that if you have to use one of the Hurst motors that you are probably better off with a lower wattage motor since they appear to be quieter.

Here a link to the thread:

vpiforum.com • View topic - 300 rpm mtor vs.600 rpm motor

Perhaps a lower wattage motor would be easier to deal with and also quieter in the end?

Yeh, I read that exact same thread and was quite entertained by it. I've got my motor well isolated. The motor board is raised on shot filled adjustable stanchions resting on an inch and a half of sorbothane, so I'm not all that concerned about the great vibratory debate. I think the vibration that could be conveyed by the belt is very minimal in my setup. I'm much more concerned about the affect on speed by the cogging jitter. I've considered swapping it out, but my pulley is glued to the shaft and I'm not certain I can remove it without damage and they are unobtanium. I have a second HW 19 I got cheap as a backup I'll have to check to see what motor is on that if the 10 watter is a no-go.

Can I please join the GB as below:

1) Bare PCB and Pre Programmed Arduino Nano 18.00 GBP
2) Full kit of parts 58.00 GB
1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo
1 for IDM

3) Fully assembled and tested board 98.00 GBP
1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
2 for hirscwi (shipping to US)

a) Linn Valhalla switch connector option 1.00 GBP
1 for Orangeart
1 for ZUM911
1 for Raymond
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for IDM

b) Momentary action switch/LED to fit OLED enclosure 4.50GBP
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Raymond
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
1 for geoturbo
2 for hirscwi
1 for IDM

I have added to the last list I could find.
Thanks
Ian

Hi all,

there is now enough interest for me to start ordering so everyone who has added themselves to the list I will now need to collect full details from you and a deposit to get PCB's made and parts ordered.

Can you each fill out this google form which is private and will ask you for your name and address and order details.

I will then send a PayPal invoice with the total and a deposit amount. Please pay the deposit amount during the last week of February 2020.

This GB will close end of Feb so orders for PCB's and part will be placed next weekend. In terms of approximate timeline - It can take up to 4 weeks to get all the parts ready. I will be on holiday 1st week of April so kits will start shipping mid/end of April but please remember this is DIY and a hobby ;) - I will keep you updated as they are ready to ship, then you will need to pay the final amount.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm in:

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo
1 for IDM

1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
2 for hirscwi (shipping to US)
1 for Zung (shipping to Switzerland)

a) Linn Valhalla switch connector option 1.00 GBP
1 for Orangeart
1 for ZUM911
1 for Raymond
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for IDM
1 for Zung

b) Momentary action switch/LED to fit OLED enclosure 4.50GBP
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Raymond
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
1 for geoturbo
2 for hirscwi
1 for IDM
1 for Zung

Hi all,

there is now enough interest for me to start ordering so everyone who has added themselves to the list I will now need to collect full details from you and a deposit to get PCB's made and parts ordered.

Can you each fill out this google form which is private and will ask you for your name and address and order details.

I will then send a PayPal invoice with the total and a deposit amount. Please pay the deposit amount during the last week of February 2020.

This GB will close end of Feb so orders for PCB's and part will be placed next weekend. In terms of approximate timeline - It can take up to 4 weeks to get all the parts ready. I will be on holiday 1st week of April so kits will start shipping mid/end of April but please remember this is DIY and a hobby ;) - I will keep you updated as they are ready to ship, then you will need to pay the final amount.

Thanks.

Hi Steve.
Will be at all possible to pay by Bank transfer?
Not too keen paying via PayPal.

Best regards
Raymond

A clarification has been asked about power switches and I will post here as it's useful info:

You can use either the Linn Valhalla flexible circuit switch or another momentary action switch. The 3D printed enclosure for the OLED has a round 12mm thinner section for the switch I recommend, which is removed with a sharp knife if the switch is fitted. You can use a switch elsewhere on your TT if you wish. Regardless of which momentary switch you use it works as follows:

1. Press on. Controller starts @ 33.33rpm. LED on.
2. Press an hold for 3 secs - LED flashes - toggles between 33.33/45 rpm. LED on.
3. Press for approx 0.5 sec - controller off LED off.

In the configuration options you can also set the controller to power on @ 33.33 rpm as soon as AC is applied to the board (without pressing any switches). This is useful for any TT that you have that has an on/off AC mains switch. If you don't need a 45 rpm setting you would not need the momentary action switch in this case. You can still have the speed change switch even with the auto rotate on power application enabled.

Also thanks all who have filled in the Google form so far. The response to the question "Turntable model" of "I have 13 tables" really put a smile on my face. ;-)

Last edited:
Quantities changed

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo
1 for IDM

1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond