• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable Tachometer and motor speed controller

Amended to include push switches

1) Bare PCB and Pre Programmed Arduino Nano 18.00 GBP
2) Full kit of parts 58.00 GB
1 for ZUM911
3) Fully assembled and tested board 98.00 GBP
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
a) Linn Valhalla witch connector option 1.00 GBP
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
b) Momentary action switch/LED to fit OLED enclosure 4.50GBP
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002

Hi Otis, probably close at end of Feb. Rega turntables usually use 110v synchronous motors or 24v on newer models so you should be good. The controller works with motors in the range of 12v to 120v RMS. Even turntables powered by 220v usually use 110v motors and the voltage drop is via an RC network.

I might have missed the info but when is the cut off date for the GB? I'm researching to see if my stock motor on a Rega P3 is easily compatible. Thanks!

Godataloss great post by Chromenuts so it looks like your motor will be OK if it's a PA or PB type.

Chromenuts not sure if Pyamid's SG4 can take a speed input - would need Pyramid to comment on that. The motor controller board does output a the current speed via serial interface at 9600 baud. If Pyramid confirms you could take a bare PCB and Arduino and leave off all the drive components - you will just be left with a Tacho. Alternatively, add the DDS circuits, stack two boards to get 4 phase drive and feed into your Class D amps.

Added TKO956's requirements

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956

Added Orangeart requirements.

Added TKO956's requirements

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
3 with option a for Orangeart

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Chromenuts not sure if Pyamid's SG4 can take a speed input - would need Pyramid to comment on that.

Pyramid did not design the SG4 to accept speed input to my knowledge. I brought the subject up previously and as far as I know that feature was limited to his commercial Phoenix Engineering products.

Alternatively, add the DDS circuits, stack two boards to get 4 phase drive and feed into your Class D amps.

I just want to see if I understand you correctly...

I would be able to keep the 3 channel class D amp that Pyramid designed along with the Anaheim 3 phase BLDC motor it drives?

I would be replacing the SG4 sinewave generator completely with two of your boards daisy chained that would allow me to generate the sinewave signal for up to 4 phases and manipulate the sinewaves to smooth out motor operation etc?

In addition, your boards would provide an RPM sensor and readout along with circuitry that allows feedback to lock in platter speed.

Would I need two full kits to cover this scenario?...or a full kit and an extra board with parts? How should I order?

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've actually read your vpi post before. I've got a couple of VPI HW 19 tables myself that I've tweaked on. Purchased properly, I think they are very hard to beat for the money. I have been looking for a speed controller for quite some time. I think this will fit the bill, my one concern is I think the Hurst site says the motor draws 10 watts. Is that too much?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
The link I posted is supposedly Hurst’s current line of PA and PB motors. It was just for reference as to the basic specifications of that line of Hurst motors. Just because the 600 RPM model they currently offer states it draws 10watts does not mean your motor is the same. VPi may also have had a contract with them to supply motors to their own specifications.

Your HW19 motor is most likely not rated at 10 watts if it’s motor is original. It is most likely the same as the pictures of the 2 motors I posted which only draw 5.5 watts. The highest motor rating I have personally seen pulled from a VPI table was from a TNT flywheel drive which was rated at 7.5watts.

It’s possible your motor has been replaced by sourcing a motor directly from Hurst, as VPI definitely marked up their parts considerably and owners often sought alternatives.

In order to determine your motors actual specs you will have to pull the plinth, flip the table frame upside down and remove the bottom cover from the motor mount box. The info should be easily readable on the back side of the motor.

Orangeart and Raymond please check list below reflects your requirements. Create a new post and edit if necessary.

Note: to add to the group buy, please copy the whole list and add to each section - the quantity and your name. Follow the format below. This keeps all the GB's together in one place. Thanks.

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond
a) Linn Valhalla switch connector option 1.00 GBP
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
1 for Raymond

Last edited:
Hi Chromenuts, yes you got it exactly. I have made some comments below at the relevant points. See after >>

Pyramid did not design the SG4 to accept speed input to my knowledge. I brought the subject up previously and as far as I know that feature was limited to his commercial Phoenix Engineering products.

I just want to see if I understand you correctly...

I would be able to keep the 3 channel class D amp that Pyramid designed along with the Anaheim 3 phase BLDC motor it drives?
>>yes

I would be replacing the SG4 sinewave generator completely with two of your boards daisy chained that would allow me to generate the sinewave signal for up to 4 phases and manipulate the sinewaves to smooth out motor operation etc?
>>yes

In addition, your boards would provide an RPM sensor and readout along with circuitry that allows feedback to lock in platter speed.
>>yes

Would I need two full kits to cover this scenario?...or a full kit and an extra board with parts? How should I order?
>>let's do this bit via a PM so as not to confuse the main thread as you have specific requirements so you probably need a custom order. Can you remind me of the voltage drive output level from the SG4 so I can work out exactly what you need if you were to interface to the class D amps.

Godataloss, Chromenuts advice is spot on, check the actual motor. 5W is OK that's only a bit more than the 3.5W airpax/premotec motors. If it's 10W then larger heatsink will be required on the transistors and potentially a couple of component changes. I think I would need to test this for you so you will need to confirm back. Post a picture of the motor label with the specifications.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've actually read your vpi post before. I've got a couple of VPI HW 19 tables myself that I've tweaked on. Purchased properly, I think they are very hard to beat for the money. I have been looking for a speed controller for quite some time. I think this will fit the bill, my one concern is I think the Hurst site says the motor draws 10 watts. Is that too much?

Added lancer's requirements

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956

The link I posted is supposedly Hurst’s current line of PA and PB motors. It was just for reference as to the basic specifications of that line of Hurst motors. Just because the 600 RPM model they currently offer states it draws 10watts does not mean your motor is the same. VPi may also have had a contract with them to supply motors to their own specifications.

Your HW19 motor is most likely not rated at 10 watts if it’s motor is original. It is most likely the same as the pictures of the 2 motors I posted which only draw 5.5 watts. The highest motor rating I have personally seen pulled from a VPI table was from a TNT flywheel drive which was rated at 7.5watts.

It’s possible your motor has been replaced by sourcing a motor directly from Hurst, as VPI definitely marked up their parts considerably and owners often sought alternatives.

In order to determine your motors actual specs you will have to pull the plinth, flip the table frame upside down and remove the bottom cover from the motor mount box. The info should be easily readable on the back side of the motor.
Thank you. I should of been clear. My motor(s) are the stock one you listed. I've had it apart replacing the cap (power switch was intermittent when I first got it). Sorry to stomp all over the group buy thread. I definitely want this for my table, just need to figure out which parts I need. Dealing with family health emergency atm.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I’m just going to add myself for two full kits.

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
1 for ZUM911
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
1 for ZUM911
1 for Raymond
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Raymond
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo

1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
1 for ZUM911
1 for Raymond
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Raymond
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
1 for geoturbo

thanks a lot

Joined 2014
Paid Member
1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo

1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK
1 for koldby
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses
1 for JensenHealey
1 for lancer
2 for hirscwi (shipping to US)

1 for ZUM911
1 for Raymond
3 for al2002
1 for Sergelisses

1 for DieterK
1 for ZUM911
1 for Sergelisses
1 for Raymond
1 for JensenHealey
3 for al2002
1 for TKO956
1 for geoturbo
2 for hirscwi

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I think there was a mishap with the list. Raymond noticed.

I copied Lancer just above my post assuming it was the most recent version.

I believe he copied an earlier version and some of the list was accidentally dropped.

Orangeart?

Anyone else?

1 for ZUM911
1 for TKO956
2 for chromenuts
1 for geoturbo

1 for Orangeart
1 for Raymond
1 for DieterK