• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

10F/RS225 FAST / WAW Speaker XO PCB GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Built one XO tonight, the second will have to wait till tomorrow.

Attachments

• B30AEC03-BFBC-464D-99F1-B11986CCC409.jpg
    B30AEC03-BFBC-464D-99F1-B11986CCC409.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 165
  • 0B5D20F5-DE36-4E29-98A0-0758EDC937E1.jpg
    0B5D20F5-DE36-4E29-98A0-0758EDC937E1.jpg
    988.9 KB · Views: 175
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi X,
ASC makes all sorts of different capacitor types, mostly for industrial purposes. This was a ‘cheap as chips’ way to utilize a 60uF metallized polypropylene film cap. But, adding the Mundorf bypass kind of defeats the ‘frugal’ approach! :D
Hey, I had them in the part bin, might as well put them to good use.
The other white cap is a CDE940C polypropylene. I would use them more often but they are huge for a given value to fit into amps and preamps, perfect for XO’s.
Yes, the metal can film in oil ‘run’ caps are also good for XO’s and tube gear HV psu’s ;)

ASC makes all sorts of different capacitor types, mostly for industrial purposes. This was a ‘cheap as chips’ way to utilize a 60uF metallized polypropylene film cap. But, adding the Mundorf bypass kind of defeats the ‘frugal’ approach!

Trust me, Vunce and ALL readers, Miflex KPCU-01 0.022uF 600Vdc is a safe bet.

Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The improvement is amazing. Even with bad recordings (modern commercial music, FM radio) I notice the BIG difference.

And Mills MRA resistors too.

Resistors with very low inductance -> speaker crossover and in others places

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thanks Maty!
I’m putting together a resistor order list with a company that carries Miflex, I just might have to throw a pair in and check them out :)
What is the yellow cap value you are bypassing with the Miflex?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Maty,
Your entire XO for the KEF has 1 cap, 1 resistor, and 1 inductor?! Amazing simplicity. Must be a 1st order XO? I am looking into Miflex as well to add some special sound to the next project.

You might try KOA Speer BPR series. My measurements show they are the lowest distortion resistors. Beating even the venerable Panasonic ERX. Might be hard to get in larger values though.

Last edited:
Yes, first order. Like many other loudspeakers with that kind of filter, the best response is off-axis.

If it was not for the 150 kHz Würth ferrite I added to the woofer, it would be logical to modify it.

Perhaps the next improvement is to change the yellow capacitor to a Jantzen Superior Z-cap. I am not in a hurry because days ago I improved the sound again after a new optimization of the W10 Pro. I have more depth and detail than before without falling into hearing fatigue.

Last week I simulated the purchase in a Baltic store, AudioHobby.

[IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/...antzen-Superior-Z-Cap-ETI-Research-BO-20C.png

And cheap low mass binding posts, without brass and nickel.

[IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/kef-q100/eichmann-binding-post-20c-dis-800.jpg

Months ago, when I implemented delay time with JRiver MC (DSP): 3 ms. Weeks ago, 2.7 ms. Now... 2 ms.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well the new XO boards can be said to be officially tested and works well. No layout errors! I never bothered to make a prototype board first.

A quick test to see if sound comes out of the appropriate channels for woofer and tweeter, and I had my XPS foamcore micro Trynergy FAST handy. Completely random, but somehow it actually works and sounds decent. The fullrange tweeter is 4ohms and 82dB so I bypassed the 4.7R resistor and it sounds quite balanced. I recall the XO was around same 600hz to 900hz range.

attachment.php

The internals look like this:
519916d1450425655-presenting-trynergy-full-range-tractrix-synergy-utrynergy-woofers-installed.png

The woofers are semi-OB in that they exit out a large opening in the back.

Attachments

• 10F-FAST-XO-with-Trynergy.jpg
    10F-FAST-XO-with-Trynergy.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.