• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Alpha Nirvana 39W SE Class A Amplifier GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I can't afford to build another power amp :(

Zman is right - it is a jouurney. Note that the Alpha Nirvana is the first Aksa amp to use a modular approach: the amp PCB is free of the output transistor and power supply. All is connectorized with Molex/Wuerth quick release connectors. The mounting holes for the standoffs follow the DIYA Store UMS specification so minimal to no drill/tap opertions are needed to install the amp to a UMS heatsink chassis.

Once you have a chassis/heatsink/PSU/output MOSFETs/IEC/SSRs/banana jacks/RCA jacks/grounding/fuses/switches - the other 85% of the cost and labor in making an amp, making a new amp design and testing it out using this modular format will not be more expensive than boards and the BOM for the amp proper, minus the output MOSFETs if you have them already. We will try to follow this modular appraoch with future amps so swapping out amp "cores" will be a 5 minute operation. Perfect for people who enjoy listening to different amps (but don't want the $700 investment that comes with all the ancilliary stuff of a new amp, plus they take up a lot of room). Changing out amps occasionally is sort of like wine tasting in a way. :)

Last edited:
Hi X, thinking ahead - have you thought about making the output device helper pcb,s as you are supplying with the AN pcb GB, available as a separate option.

I would buy some for future use in other power amp builds to make it easy to swap out devices with other amp pcb's when wanting to reuse a chassis ( which is a big cost these days.)

Cheers,

Gary..

Zman is right - it is a jouurney. Note that the Alpha Nirvana is the first Aksa amp to use a modular approach: the amp PCB is free of the output transistor and power supply. All is connectorized with Molex/Wuerth quick release connectors. The mounting holes for the standoffs follow the DIYA Store UMS specification so minimal to no drill/tap opertions are needed to install the amp to a UMS heatsink chassis.

Once you have a chassis/heatsink/PSU/output MOSFETs/IEC/SSRs/banana jacks/RCA jacks/grounding/fuses/switches - the other 85% of the cost and labor in making an amp, making a new amp design and testing it out using this modular format will not be more expensive than boards and the BOM for the amp proper, minus the output MOSFETs if you have them already. We will try to follow this modular appraoch with future amps so swapping out amp "cores" will be a 5 minute operation. Perfect for people who enjoy listening to different amps (but don't want the $700 investment that comes with all the ancilliary stuff of a new amp, plus they take up a lot of room). Changing out amps occasionally is sort of like wine tasting in a way. :)

I remember talking about a similar setup earlier this year, so it is great that it is being realised in the DIY domain.

Modular backplane for integrated amplifiers ?

Hi X, thanks for that new item in your store, does the air mail postage keep multiplying for buying more than the single quantity of 2 pieces? I would have thought seeing the boards are so small that if one was to buy say 5 off (10 pcbs), the air mail price as shown (for me anyway) would be the same.

Welcome to the start of a new decade.

Cheers,

Gary..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Gary,
That is the "auto-calculate" shipping from Etsy at work there based on product weight of 2oz for qnty 2 snubber boards. The weight should be the same up to 8oz or 4 sets as far as I know - however, there may be slight increase due to insurance cost. Let me know if there is a huge difference in shipping between one set or even 4 sets. The shipping cost should be close but not identical. If it is a problem, I can go in an program a manual fixed cost shipping for up to 4 sets (8 pieces).

My 4x AN PCBs plus 8x snubber PCBs plus 4x SLB PCBs have just been delivered. :)

They are certainly heavyweight boards!

Power traffos have been ordered (for the 4R build) - so now to:
a. sort out the component shopping cart, and
b. decide on the cooling mechanism - which determines case height.

Andy

My package was posted by X on the 21st Dec, it got to Indonesia on the 31st Dec then back to San Francisco on the 1st Jan, then to Melbourne on the 2nd Jan and now has been processed through an Aust Post facility on the 6th Jan - a well travelled package it seems. So that is 17 days so far.

Cheers,

Gary..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Why Indonesia then back to San Francisco?

I had a package sent to someone in Shenzhen. It went to Frankfurt, then Amsterdam, then Chicago, the San Francisco, then Japan, then Sydney, then New York, and then returned to me. Never managed to get delivered to China. This was 2months of travel. Strange.

I then sent same PCB in plain unmarked paper letter envelope and it got there in 1week.

If you can work out the vagaries of the international mailing system, then you are a genius X.

A typical package posted for $15.00 to $20.00 USD, when you look at the tracking goes through (in the case of mine) 19 tracking events in 11 different locations (so far), then I hate to think what was the actual cost to USPS for air mail on the item!

No wonder the world's post offices are regularly raising their prices every year as the level of service goes downhill.