Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Interest in PCBs for Bruno Putzey's Preamp and Hans Polak's relay volume control
Interest in PCBs for Bruno Putzey's Preamp and Hans Polak's relay volume control
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2020, 02:32 AM   #91
Mike2 is offline Mike2  United States
diyAudio Member

Hey Alexy,
Thanks for replying. Ya, I understand how the encoder works. For some reason I was not expecting this. If you rotate the volume fast enough the pop is not too noticeable. But if go too slow it can be a little startling. I have it in my main system now for a listen. The other issue I have is it's too loud. I have it turned down to 1 and its still louder then I want. I may replace this with a regular pot until I have time to figure out a remote volume for this. Thanks again.
Old 13th February 2020, 03:00 AM   #92
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

To reduce gain, you need to reduce R12/R22. From Hans Polak’s original article:

Quote:
Gain can never be more than +6dB and never be less than -24 dB [...]. The fixed feedback resistor R12/R22 of 4K Ohm attached to the output amp determines the maximum gain of 6dB, but can easily be adapted to one’s need.
If you replace the resistors with, say, 2kOhm, the maximum gain will be 0dB, and the minimum gain will be -30dB. The easiest is to solder a couple of 4kOhm or so resistors (SMT 0805 or leaded) on top of R12 and R22 in parallel with them.

Last edited by alexcp; 13th February 2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 13th February 2020, 03:28 AM   #93
Mike2 is offline Mike2  United States
diyAudio Member

I was just rereading Hans article and noticed this. I thought I remembered seeing something about adjusting the gain somewhere. I'll give this a try tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Old 14th February 2020, 10:48 PM   #94
Bennyboyph is offline Bennyboyph  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Would be keen to know if anyone has another solution to controlling the 64-stepper other than Maya
Old 15th February 2020, 04:02 AM   #95
shattered_dream is offline shattered_dream  Germany
diyAudio Member

Working on an arduino based solution... Think should t be a big Problem.... Just waiting for the parts...
Old 18th February 2020, 06:38 AM   #96
CentralCoast is offline CentralCoast  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayblob View Post
I have a full set of boards with the SMT soldering completed. If it is ok, I would like to offer it up at exactly the same price it was offered to me. $97 shipped via paypal. Please let me know if anyone would like them.
I'm interested in your boards. I also send a PM.
Old 18th February 2020, 07:58 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Has anyone worked out a good enclosure and panel for the boards?
Old 18th February 2020, 09:01 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

How about a BOM for the 16 step volume control?
Old 19th February 2020, 03:06 AM   #99
alexcp is offline alexcp  United States
diyAudio Member

BOM (and other documentation) is available here: link
Old 19th February 2020, 03:09 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Interest in PCBs for Bruno Putzey's Preamp and Hans Polak's relay volume controlHide this!Advertise here!