• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Pass Aleph style heatsinks

Joined 2005
Paid Member
UPDATE 15-SEP-2019: deadline to commit to this group buy, see post 15.

I decided to order a batch of custom made "Pass Aleph style" heatsinks as shown in the attachment. The heatsinks will be black anodized, 200 mm tall.

Before going ahead with the order I thought I'd ask around how much interest there is for these. Maybe it's worth to do a group buy. Approximate costs depending on number of heatsinks:
- 20 pieces: 140 EUR / piece
- 50 pieces: 95 EUR / piece
- 100 pieces: 80 EUR / piece

(these prices do not include shipping, handling, tax and stuff)

If you are interested, reply to this thread add yourself to the list. This is not yet a final commitment! I just want to get an idea of how big the order might be.

mbrennwa / 8 pieces
mordikai / ??? pieces
gkirbyjones / ??? pieces
Zen Mod / ??? pieces
6L6 / ??? pieces

Attachments

• 65110.jpg
    65110.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,186
  • heatsinks_aleph_06092019.png
    heatsinks_aleph_06092019.png
    5 KB · Views: 2,176
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
first picture , because of perspective it looks different , but all sides are equal

mbrennwa - for now , 320E for 4 pcs is little steep for me , taking in account that I have at least 100++ kg of heatsinks on shelves

if (please God! :) ) quantity allows lesser price , I'll chip in gladly

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Are the prices mentioned per 1 heatsink or per set of 4 heatsinks?

For a single heatsink. :(

Would the costs improve if the heatsinks were half the width (as in the first attached picture) with only 1 end with angled fin. Would also allow for 3 1/2 sides to be covered if so desired.

You mean you'd split the profile in half, and join two halves for each side of the chassis? I think this is exactly how it was done in some of the original Pass Aleph amps. It would mean that the order would be for twice as many parts, where each part would have half the amount of material. It might be easier to get a volume discount. HOWEVER it would be more difficult to use these heatsinks with only one transistor per chassis side. Mounting the transistor in the middle would mean that it would sit exactly on the joint of the two halves, not ideal. One could work around this by mounting the transistors on some kind of a heat spreader part that distributes the heat to the two halves. This would make the build more complex and would take up more space in the chassis (it's tight already as it is). I will therefore stick to the full profile. There is enough space between the fins to fit in the connectors (mini XLR, RCAs and bananas will fit easily). One could also install the connectors at the bottom of the amp and use cables with angled plugs.

...for now , 320E for 4 pcs is little steep for me ... if (please God! :) ) quantity allows lesser price , I'll chip in gladly

I am with you. The price is painful, but it won't stop me. You could just go all in and get a few hundred heatsinks. This will lower the price substantially, for all of us :D

Considering the dissipation rating, the whole enclosure can be done with less money than comparable DIYADUIO store case (@80E), but I also do have too much heatsinks already...

The original Pass Aleph 3 is 15 cm tall, with a thermal resistance of 0.125 °C/W for the full chassis (see here). From this I'd guesstimate about 0.1 °C/W for a chassis built with four of the 20 cm heatsinks (or about 0.4 °C/W for a single 20 cm heatsink). This is similar (if not slightly better) than a Modushop/HiFi2000 Dissipante 4U, which is between USD 200 to USD 340, depending on which version you look at. I guess the Dissipante chassis are more cost effective in terms of heat dissipation per dollar (although I would have thought the difference would be larger). However, the Dissipante chassis are much larger, and they don't have "the look". I have used various Modushop chassis many times now. They are good, but I'd like to go a different route for my next amp build...

Anyone got the balls to jump in?

Last edited:
will the rear one have cutout for plugs? Certainly tempting, and would struggle to resist if it were a chassis. I think this was one of the best looking amps ever.

No cutouts or holes planned. Everyone needs different cutouts or holes. You'll make them yourself between the fins, cut one or two fins off (and re-paint the cuts), or put all connections underneath the amp (UFO style, see here).

I might send out the order on Monday. Now or never! :D

As I see it, there is limited interest for these heatsinks at the current price level. I don't think we'll make it to 50 or 100 pieces or even more any time soon.

I will wait until Monday 16-Sep-2019 evening and then send out the order. I will include enough pieces to cater for everyone who commits to this. If you want to jump in until then, please indicate that you are committing (not just sort-of-interested).

Mordikai: are you okay to commit?

JeffYoung: are you sure you don't want to join even if we don't reach the EUR 95 price?

mbrennwa / 8 pieces / CONFIRMED
JeffYoung / INTERESTED / 4 pieces (if price gets down to EUR 95 each)
mordikai / INTERESTED / 8 pieces

gkirbyjones / ??? pieces
Zen Mod / ??? pieces
6L6 / ??? pieces