• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB "long and skinny" FirstWatt J2 clone PCBs

If there is an experienced DIY'er from Denmark that wants to build the J2 clone as mono blocks I have 2 x chassis + skinny boards. I have too many projects and those chassis takes up space. It needs to be a person from Denmark as pickup is the only possibility (Copenhagen). I also have -+24 VDC SMPS as it was the plan to built with those and have space enough inside chassis for extra filtering of the SMPS (Meanwell's). If interested we can find a good price for chassis, boards etc.

Hi all.
I'm toying with the idea of building a class A amplifier myself (the j2 clone?) after having built a MyRef Fremen Edition amp with great satisfaction (especially for my ears).
I kindly ask:
1) is there a guide to follow for self-construction and a bom? I'm handy with my hands but I don't know much about electricity/electronics...
2) which power board could be used in this project? Is a soft start board necessary?
3) any chance of a pair of boards eventually (EU 220V power supply)?
Thank you very much, I would really like to be able to compare a class A amp with my class A/B amp...

I simply want to build a class A amplifier that sounds good and I would like to choose a FW design that best suits my desires and abilities. For this reason I would like to choose a well-sounding project that also has boards, booms, DIY guides etc. etc.
I'm sorry for not being so informed on these issues, I simply love listening to music at medium/medium high sound levels and would like to try a class A amplifier.
At the moment my A/B amplifier delivers around 40W and for me they are sufficient because they are of excellent quality...

Thanks for the reply, I didn't know about the problem related to sic power...
Based on what is currently available on the store, what is your suggestion on which amp to build?
One last question: Is a FW amp that different sonically from an A/B amp like the MyRef Fremen edition or diyAB's Honey Badger amp?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, every amp has different sound. Better? It's all personal preference.
Wolverine is better than honey badger for sure. Many classA amps are more musical than classAB, even classAB can measure better.
F5 is easy to build, i have three, but it can be analytical. AlephJ is easy and fun to build, built two, one for friend as well, and has great sonics. F3 is clean and smooth but requires power jfet. So does F1J. Have many F1J versions, i like it raw dynamic sound. But its transonductance, your speakers will be critical.
M2 and M2X is easy build and highly recommended, even i would use diffetent step up trafo these days.
There are many other classA amps to consider, Alpha Nirvana, JLH...
Will good classA sound better than chipmonk? You bet!

Reactions: 1 user