• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bigbottle MM/MC Hybrid Valve Phonostage PCB

Moving from a 103 to a Decca will be a very stark change.

I've had 2x Golds, a Super Gold and Blue here.

They didn't last long.

Why?[/QUOTE]Etched and Bass-less

What they did well, they really did well.

Best impact and dynamics ive heard from any cartridge but tonally, it was really thin and no matter which variant i tried, I couldn't get it to sound anything other than etched.

I even tried Croft phonostages to get the best from it, as I know Glenn Croft swears by them but nope, not for me.

The 103 is a boogie cart, full of emboldened tone and bass, the Deccas are as far from that presentation as you can get IMO

Finally!!!!

If anyone wants me NOT to post their PCB yet, please let me know or it will be on the way by the end of the week!! 20200330_141440.jpg

Hi Oliver,
You can post it off to me no problem. It will take at least 6 weeks to work its way through the post, to reach SA, go through our highly inefficient C&E and postal service, and for me to receive a notification to collect it. Many thanks for your efforts, Kevin
P.S. And of course everyone else involved

Will, there be round 2 for ordering boards - something went wrong I did not make an order - was not aware or did not notice
It was a very quick first round. I set a target of 30 interested parties and we were pretty much there In 48 hours.

I will do a 2nd round and will do the same. As soon as we hit the target figure (20 -30?) I'll take payment and put the order in.

I should have these all posted by Friday, so I will start the 2nd round on Sunday, all being well.

This is an interesting project but I don't know much about tube components nor have I listened to any since my Dad's 1950's Ampex. That stereo got me started loving music.

Looking at the tubes and the heatsinks I was wondering about the amount of heat and the means of cooling. It seems to me that the right way to orient this board is "upright" long side horizontal with tubes on one side and the heatsinks on the other. That way the heat rises up and out for all sources and not be trapped by the board.

As well the input and output jacks could be short equal distances from the board connections; short point to point.

The PSU could be walled off at the front (or remote)?

I think you are overthinking the heat and cooling. 3 of the heatsinks are oversize and dissipate little.
Virtually any case will be OK providing there are some holes or slots to let air in and out.

The 'PSU' is only an off board transformer, if toroid a small distance away is all that is required. If an EI transformer orientation and possibly a ferrous screen cracks it.

This is an interesting project but I don't know much about tube components nor have I listened to any since my Dad's 1950's Ampex. That stereo got me started loving music.

Looking at the tubes and the heatsinks I was wondering about the amount of heat and the means of cooling. It seems to me that the right way to orient this board is "upright" long side horizontal with tubes on one side and the heatsinks on the other. That way the heat rises up and out for all sources and not be trapped by the board.

As well the input and output jacks could be short equal distances from the board connections; short point to point.

The PSU could be walled off at the front (or remote)?

There is an argument put forth somewhere, that using valves in a horizontal position, can be detrimental to the life of the valve. Just putting that out there.

As @Vivant said, heat isn't an issue with this phonostage as the heatsinks are oversized and after 3 -4 hours use, my 250x300x80mm case is only just warm to the touch. Plent of vent holes and any size case is fine, but i would go bigger to get the Traffo as far away as possible.

If there is any concern over the heat from the valves and them being enclose, populate the rear of the PCB and have the valves exposed.