• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bigbottle MM/MC Hybrid Valve Phonostage PCB

So here is the last update for a little while.

The PCB design is finished!

For the eagle eyed, there is a new addition to the PCB in the form of a "jumper"

The jumper allows the builder to swap between using an ECC83 and a 6N2P. These 6N2P are mega cheap and sound excellent so it seemed like a nice touch to add this.

The PCB will be black, and hopefully, there will be one here to build in the next few weeks.

image0.jpg 1579724459208_image0.jpg

So here is the last update for a little while.

The PCB design is finished!

For the eagle eyed, there is a new addition to the PCB in the form of a "jumper"

The jumper allows the builder to swap between using an ECC83 and a 6N2P. These 6N2P are mega cheap and sound excellent so it seemed like a nice touch to add this.

The PCB will be black, and hopefully, there will be one here to build in the next few weeks.

View attachment 810856 View attachment 810857

Looks great! I think I might be interested in one of these as well. I read through the thread, and sorry if I missed it, but do you have any info on gain figures? Also about loading and that sort of thing. Is that something that is adjustable?

Looks great! I think I might be interested in one of these as well. I read through the thread, and sorry if I missed it, but do you have any info on gain figures? Also about loading and that sort of thing. Is that something that is adjustable?
Thanks!

Gain is around 60db I believe but I'll have to check.

Loading is done via loading plugs so it can be whatever you like!

Thanks!

Gain is around 60db I believe but I'll have to check.

Loading is done via loading plugs so it can be whatever you like!

I assume that's for MC configuration. Could you also check on MM gain specs? thanks!

I'm just scanning the PCB as well as I can as well, and I'm having trouble figuring out how it works as far as switching between MM or MC functionality. Is it a sort of thing where you set your gain based on component selection and that's it? Or is it switchable between MM and MC after it's built?

Also, what do you mean by loading plugs?

I assume that's for MC configuration. Could you also check on MM gain specs? thanks!

I'm just scanning the PCB as well as I can as well, and I'm having trouble figuring out how it works as far as switching between MM or MC functionality. Is it a sort of thing where you set your gain based on component selection and that's it? Or is it switchable between MM and MC after it's built?

Also, what do you mean by loading plugs?
Yes,

41db for MM

Switching between MM & MC is done via a chassis mounted switch, which is wired to the PCB.

Loading plugs are basically a resistor soldered into an rca plug. This means you can make them up for any value.

Alternatively, if you dont plan on changing cartridge often, just solder the resistor directly to the pcb

You wire a SPST switch to the SW terminal center left side. This activates a relay to switch between a JFET cascoded MC input stage or an LED-biased voltage gain MM input stage. Additional gain ala JFET.