• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bigbottle MM/MC Hybrid Valve Phonostage PCB

Hi All,

Yes, update is that the final part of this revision is now being selected. It may seem Insignificant to some but the job of the 5v relay is pivotal and we're looking for a good one.

As soon as this is done, it should be pretty much ready to go. All being dependant on the free time of the PCB designer, Andy.

Thanks mate and many thanks to Andy, hope GB will be soon.

Meanwhile, could you please tell me something about PSU for MC phono you already built.
Something special or not?
It has good ripple rejection, that's about all I know lol.

I'm only the middle man on these projects. My participation is to link the people with the actual knowledge and organise the GB etc.

I don't profess to know anything either, as it would be far too easy to discover I do not haha.

The PSU on the MM/MC version is virtually identical, save for one capacitor which was no longer required.

The phonostages I've built up have all been really good to listen to and as long as the valves glow, the PSU must be OK.

If someone wanted to totally pimp the PSU design, I'd happily accept the alterations if it was demonstrably better.

This project has developed a few times due to the needs and wants of capable members and I am more than happy to continue developing it.

Last edited:
Thank you for answering.
Do you have circut design or other sort of documentation for this PSU?

Just thinking what to combine with this "bottle".
I am unable to share the circuit diagram, as it isn't mine.

Part of the agreement to use the design is that I do not distribute it.

The PSU is on the same PCB as the signal circutry so it could possibly be bypassed buy that's for more technical minds than mine to figure out.

In standard form, like how I use it, it's very good!

One more question....hope I can ask.
Regarding MM/MC, is it possible to implement only 1 pair of input RCA and switch between MM/MC or need to have separate inputs?
Because I’m planning to start buying some things and black friday is around the corner :)
It's switched so only one set of RCA inputs is required.

Just fit a switch to the outside of the case and you'll be good to go!

Hi Oliver,

Happy New Year to you and all. Any news on this project?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

HNY to you too!

Well I have just completed building the only Prototype PCB I have and there are 3 errors on the PCB. One PSU cap is missing, and two Capacitor spaces need removing as they are not required. 1 PSU Cap needs moving to make more space next to a heatsink. IF you buy the heatsink from Farnell it fouls the space for the CAP, however The Mouser one fits perfectly but is unavailable. The Relays selected are only available from China, but I have a box full of those so could include them. Also, on the PCB there are no + or - markings for the LED or Caps but I can also help with that. A marker pen will do lol

I am looking for someone to just edit the Gerber files I have, rather than remake the whole project.

Soundwise, I think the new revision improves on the SQ of the original Blue PCB in a few areas, but if I can't get the files edited, I'd be reluctant send it out. I spent 4 months advising over the build after the last GB, due to it being a little more difficult than necessary and I want to avoid that happening again.

If people do want a PCB "as is" with a now finished and checked BOM, I am happy to do that, but it must be understood that you need to be able to follow the BOM and if you have a fault, you need to be able to find it yourself as it proved impossible to do via email and phone.

There is one PSU Cap that needs fitting on top of the PCB between a Zener Diode and a resistor and two caps that don't need fitting at all. If you buy the Farnell Heatsink, you have to file or cut one of the Fins off to get the cap in next to it. It's not difficult, just not as beginner friendly as I wanted it to be.

It isn't perfect ATM, but it's easily possible to build one.

Oliver

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you got dropped by whoever on the PCB layout. I can check with an acqaintance here in SA if he can assist with the PCB changes, but only next week unfortunately. Can't make any promises though.

AAMOI which relays are you using? I have some lying around somewhere. Darn, meant to ask if the board is single or double layer?

Regards, Kevin

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you got dropped by whoever on the PCB layout. I can check with an acqaintance here in SA if he can assist with the PCB changes, but only next week unfortunately. Can't make any promises though.

AAMOI which relays are you using? I have some lying around somewhere. Darn, meant to ask if the board is single or double layer?

Regards, Kevin

Yeah it came as a bit of a surprise but the communication just stopped. No ill feeling, just a shame but when you are doing it for free, I can't complain. Sure, ask your acquaintance by all means.

Board is 2 layer.

Relay:

A-5W-K Fujitsu | Mouser United Kingdom

Just found this which looks like it would be fine:

https://uk.farnell.com/panasonic-electric-works/tq2-5vdc/relay-signal-dpdt-30vdc-1a/dp/1175716

Last edited: