• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Bigbottle MM/MC Hybrid Valve Phonostage PCB

I’ve been making slow progress in piecing together my BOM for this build, thanks Bigman80 for putting together this fun project!

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Toroidy doesn’t ship to the US, so last week I ordered a custom transformer from Audiophonics: Custom Toroidal Transformer - All Power - Audiophonics

Standard Total Power : 35.00VA
Frequency : 60Hz Primaires: 1 x 0 - 115 V
Secondaires: 1 x 9.5 - 0 - 9.5 V / 1 A (19.00 VA) 1 x 0 - 165 V / 0.1 A (16.50 VA)
+ Electrostatic Screen + Magnetic Screen

Total for quantity 1 was 28,22 €, and unfortunately 35,50 € shipping to the US. I’ll let you all know how long it takes to get in, but I’m expecting a month or two.

I’m also curious what you all are using for some of the components, seems like there are a few fun ones to pick out. Namely, any ideal choices for tubes? I picked up a pair of Valvo PCC88s and have been looking at options for the 12ax7. The Full Musics are supposed to be nice, but thinking about getting something domestic due to pandemic delays.

Also, any recommendations for the high precision EQ caps and resistors? I’m thinking of getting some 2.5% Wima FKP2 and hand matching. I’ve also considered NOS styrene caps, but not sure if it’s worth the extra effort over something available on Mouser. Any special considerations for the EQ resistors, or are some 1% metal film good enough?

Thanks all!
Greg

I’ve been making slow progress in piecing together my BOM for this build, thanks Bigman80 for putting together this fun project!

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Toroidy doesn’t ship to the US, so last week I ordered a custom transformer from Audiophonics: Custom Toroidal Transformer - All Power - Audiophonics

Total for quantity 1 was 28,22 €, and unfortunately 35,50 € shipping to the US. I’ll let you all know how long it takes to get in, but I’m expecting a month or two.

I’m also curious what you all are using for some of the components, seems like there are a few fun ones to pick out. Namely, any ideal choices for tubes? I picked up a pair of Valvo PCC88s and have been looking at options for the 12ax7. The Full Musics are supposed to be nice, but thinking about getting something domestic due to pandemic delays.

Also, any recommendations for the high precision EQ caps and resistors? I’m thinking of getting some 2.5% Wima FKP2 and hand matching. I’ve also considered NOS styrene caps, but not sure if it’s worth the extra effort over something available on Mouser. Any special considerations for the EQ resistors, or are some 1% metal film good enough?

Thanks all!

Greg
My approach is to use exact values over the entire board. A bit neurotic but the difference it makes from using just 1% tolerances is quite significant. It makes it worth the extra effort.

Personally, I found the capacitors (marked 1%) from Vishay to be really high in tolerance. I almost always about 70% of the bag to be on point.

I would stick with them. They are PP and for the price, I'd take them over WIMA anyway. I've tried EPOS, WIMA and some others but the Vishay sounded the least obvious, if that makes sense.

Anyway, pick your own bits and enjoy whatever you make.

Just to mark that one resistor from BOM list is not available, from Farnell and Mouser, both.
It is 8R2 1W....need to find somewhere else.
Jumper also....not from these 2 resellers.
Everything else is on stock.
Oh, that's a pain....

I did get 8R2 1W very recently from Farnell UK.

That one is available in the USA according to their website

This one in the UK

Last edited:
View attachment BOM MM-MC 09.03.20.pdf

Ok, so looks like farnell don't sell small quantity Jumpers, so the best place for these is on eBay. £2.99 for 10. You need the "closed" type. eBay item number:184086814018

The Large heatsink either has to come from America, or again it can be found on eBay. It seems there is a shortage of availability everywhere, which is a pain, but it can be found. Use the Part number on the BOM to get the dimensions and get something as close as possible. This one should be ok: eBay item number:362911898987

The 8R2 1W Resistor is now correct on the BOM (16k available)

Also, according to Farnell, they have over 60k of the 7805 regulator in stock for next day delivery.

Thank you Bigman80.

3.18 GBP for 10 jumpers (including shipping) - I will try to find local, from some computer service
7.58 GBP for 1 heatsink (including shipping) - It is bloody expensive for one small piece of metal, but I don't have other option.

Other 2 missing parts I will find local for sure, but maybe not Vishay.

Once again, thank you for finding missing parts....cheers.

Here are some pics of the PCB assembled with tubes on top and the rest on the bottom. NOTE that the relay and JFET need to also be mounted on the top as they are not symmetrical.

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 310
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 294
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 305
Thank you Bigman80.

3.18 GBP for 10 jumpers (including shipping) - I will try to find local, from some computer service
7.58 GBP for 1 heatsink (including shipping) - It is bloody expensive for one small piece of metal, but I don't have other option.

Other 2 missing parts I will find local for sure, but maybe not Vishay.

Once again, thank you for finding missing parts....cheers.

No problem, and good luck!