• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finally had some time to do some SMT soldering of this amp. The top side SMT parts are all done, now need to flip over and solder the TPA3255 and a few more ancillary resistors and caps.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 4,602
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 1,082
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Don't forget the crimp contacts.

Me forget to get crimp contacts, and miss a chance to play with my crimp tool collection?! :)

771150d1564353538-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-crimpers-jpg

The new microscope was not needed for assembly (except for installing the barely visible polarity markings of the little LEDs) - but made double checking the solder joints a breeze. Under magnification, formerly beautiful reflow joints all look kind of ugly. Cold solder joints are easy to spot with a scope though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Microscope-xrk.jpg
    Microscope-xrk.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Do,
Thanks! I use a non stick fry pan over a $10 electric hot plate to preheat the bottom of the board to about 130C (measured with IR thermometer). Then I apply 300C hot air from a SMT gun from above. This lets me work and melt section by section and reduces the time components get above the melt temp. The liquidus melt temp depends on paste. I normally use PbSn based paste as it works better. But this time, happened to have some Pb-free paste already in my applicator gun.

I use pretty inexpensive hot air pencil like this:
858D+ Hot Air Soldering Station 110V 700W LED Digital Solder Heat Gun Rework ESD SMD SMT Welding Repair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3WLX7H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_teyIDbR60NJ0Z

The paste extruder gun is an “I-Extruder” digitally controlled one. It works very well for big projects and is precise. I would have made even cleaner joints except using old paste and it occasionally clogged so not as consistent as a new tube of paste. This applicator is pricey but worth it for large projects. You don’t need a stencil doing it this way for development.

I-EXTRUDER - Airless Solder Paste Dispenser with Pick & Place Feature

Video demonstration here:
YouTube

Good Swiss stainless steel tweezers and magnifying goggles are a must.

Fine copper braid (NTE brand) and liquid flux (precision tip applicator) and chisel tip soldering iron for cleaning up excess on pins is also useful.

Specific paste that I like includes:
MG Chemicals 4860P 63/37 No Clean, Leaded Solder Paste, 35 g (1.2 oz) Pneumatic Dispenser (Complete with Plunger & Dispensing Tip) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M1RC0YY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_znyIDbDPMW5DT

This works for smaller projects where you manually use thumb pressure to apply paste. More than 50 parts and your finger will cramp with a manual applicator.

I think for this project I was using Sn42Bi58 no clean paste solder from iExtruder:
Sn42/Bi58 No Clean Solder paste - I-Extruder solder paste dispensers

One more thing, for this project there are two sides so how do I install the bottom side parts now that the top is already populated?

I use the hot air pencil to preheat the bottom of the board (the top side now) to get it warm enough to apply heat from the top to melt it.

They make special IR/hot air preheater rework stations which would be handy, but for this project not needed. It would be a substitute for the fry pan.

New & Improved X-Tronic MODEL 5040-XR3 All In One Hot Air Rework Soldering Iron Station With Preheater. Now Includes Plug & Play Hot Air Gun With Iron Holder & Sponge Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019LQ5YUE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KEyIDbBFVGB1Z

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Power on test is encouraging. All power supply sub rails working to make 15v, 12v, 3.3v from 51v input. Working on configuring correct wire jumpers on input opamp stage and mode selector for stereo BTL. I got music to play with SE input but get error light when using balanced input. The reset button works too. So getting closer.

There is error on some silk screen labels of Wxxx solder jumper pads. Also error on N151 3.3v LDO pins. Need to isolate pin 4 from pad as that is output but board has it as GND.

Attachments

• 50A53A65-0125-4CA7-B4FD-3D83117F5A17.jpeg
    50A53A65-0125-4CA7-B4FD-3D83117F5A17.jpeg
    794.3 KB · Views: 601
Isn't Sn42Bi58 a bit on the low side for a high power system? The melting point is at 138°C and due to the Bismuth it cracks pretty easily when loaded with some mechanical force.

The OTE trip point of the TPA32XX is well above melting temp, hmm.
Just saying.

The I-Extruder is a nice tip, thanks for that.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You are right, I wish I switched to the PbSn but was lazy as this was already loaded up. I have gone over the TPA3255 pins with some PbSn paste and reflowed with a solder iron tip. Hopefully that keeps the pins from debonding under power.

I am trying to figure out what’s keeping the amp from running with balanced input and stereo BTL output.