Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB
TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2019, 02:07 PM   #21
vacuphile is offline vacuphile  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Only if PFFB is implemented, and I would then need to have another look at the board. Without PFFB, the cheap Chinese boards are ok for me.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:11 PM   #22
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

Understood- thanks.
Old 11th August 2019, 02:50 PM   #23
Audio Mo is offline Audio Mo
diyAudio Member

$32 for PCB or fully assembled board?
Old 11th August 2019, 03:04 PM   #24
Rtep2007 is offline Rtep2007
diyAudio Member

Very interesting project. I have tried TI board with TPA 3245 and it wasn't bad. What about your results, did you try to measure the prototype?

Will it then be possible to buy only the PCB? I could assemble the board myself.

Regards
Rtep (CZE)
Old 11th August 2019, 03:26 PM   #25
theSuede is offline theSuede  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Same question as 'Audio Mo' - What does the $32 include? Naked board? Board+3255? Board+3255+SMD? Fully populated SMD w. TH component soldering needed?
That makes quite a big difference - especially over here (Sweden) where component prices are ridiculously high (2-3x US prices sometimes)
Old 11th August 2019, 03:37 PM   #26
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

These boards have yet to be ordered or built, however, I have tried several boards - the the relatively-cheap $55 ones that are knock-offs of the TI evaluation boards on ebay and and Amazon (same ones apparently). The knockoff TI eval boards don't seem to work properly as the error/fault LEDs are lit upon startup (rather than lighting when there is a fault). I also tried to see what maximum output was and with a +52v 600w PSU feeding it, it could not put out anymore than 48Vpp - almost like it self-limited and resulting output started clipping. The knock-off boards also seem to be set up just for SE input and BTL output. It was my hope that we can have a general purpose board with all the features and options available and with a good layout and conveniences of locking connectors and thermal pad facing the mounting surface. The post filter feedback option is something we are looking into - it might not be possible to add without a major revision to the existing layout.

These are 2mm thick, 2oz boards with ENIG finish, hence the $32 price for just the bare PCB. If you want a professionally built PCB tested and ready to go, that will require substantial interest. Sorry about higher component prices in EU. You may look at Arrow, their shipping costs are very reasonable (not free anymore).

There is no way that you are going to beat the prices of the $55 Chinese-made TI knock-off boards with your DIY version (I think we all know that). This is an excercise to get the best performance and higher convenience and reliability. I would be using the cheap ones too if they did what I needed (I need 150w into 8ohms in BTL as an option on 1 board and I need a clean ~80w into 8ohms in SE output mode for 4 channels on another board).

Last edited by xrk971; 11th August 2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11th August 2019, 04:21 PM   #27
Rtep2007 is offline Rtep2007
diyAudio Member

A higher price wouldn't bother me. Just because of the components used. But it would be good if you could buy a board plus parts (not assembly board).

Do you plan to use PFFB?

Or what would be the interest for a professional built PCB?

Rtep
Old 11th August 2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

A "kit" with all parts could be possible but the amount of labor required to assemble the kits is not insignificant and like the professionally built one. depends on level of interest. If folks are interested in a kit with BOM, please indicated so. Note that the cost of a prepackaged BOM will be more than if you bought the parts yourself, so paying for convenience in the US. Outside of US, it may be less expensive if parts are hard to obtain. I have no idea on cost until I gather the parts and price them myself - have not gotten to that stage yet.

The TPA3255 is about $10ea, the Coilcraft SER inductors are about $5ea so we are already talking $30 for the major parts. We still have the DC-DC step up, the opamps, bulk caps, film caps, etc...
Old 12th August 2019, 08:27 AM   #29
Audio Mo is offline Audio Mo
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in full board. I can solder through-hole components, not chips or SMDs
Old 12th August 2019, 01:57 PM   #30
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

JPS64 says he is adding the PFFB but it’s going to take a total redesign of the layout. Should have it by tomorrow.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GBHide this!Advertise here!