• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I showed this for one case back on Post 165, distortion is remarkably flat vs higher freuency (higher orders by about 10dB increase from 1khz to 10kHz, but overall THD is about the same):
783516d1569420234-tpa3255-reference-design-class-amp-gb-tpa3255-rev0b-5-14vrms-6-6ohms-btl-sweep-jpg

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The graph depicts H2=-84dBc and H3=-90dBc @5.14V into 6R6. Not too bad, but not really impressive. The seemingly flat response may be due to the relative high levels even at low frequencies, compared to the TI-EVM. This measured here H2=-92/-100dBc (outAB/CD) - but at 10Vrms into 5 Ohms. My personal mono reference showed H2=-102.7dBc. So there should be room for 10-20dB improvement, specially concerning H2 distortion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Unless you happen to not mind a bit of H2, so that it sounds more like a SE Class A amp. Do note that this particular implementation is the only one with dominant H2, vs dominant H3 as I have seen on cheap eBay clones, TI EVM, 3E, and Voltwide's amp. It makes this amp uniquely a different sound signature.
I am sorry to say, but this is not the way I would define a "reference" design. "Colored" sound in this context smells more like a weak explanation for design flaws.
And, btw, I do not expect that this "colored" sound can be distinguished by dbt from a another amp without this color. Moreover I am convinced that besides the measured different numbers there will be absolutely no audible difference.
Just my 2c;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Voltwide,
Let’s not argue what we as individuals prefer as sonic signatures in our amps. I definitely can hear a difference in a H3 vs a H2 dominant amp - even at same overall THD of 0.004%. There are other aspects such how much contribution from higher odd orders - they add to harshness and listening fatigue.

Reference amp was meant to say it followed TI’s reference design schematic. But if you think 10dB higher distortion of H2 (-80dB THD) is not your cup of tea, everyone is entitled to their preferred amp harmonic distortion signature.

You have give many useful constructive feedback items in the development of this amp, and for that, thank you!

I am still not sure where the extra THD on this amp comes from other than the asymmetric layout of the the inductors. But like I said, I am happy with this level of THD and the profile of its distribution.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am thinking of getting the boards built as stereo BTL with balanced line inputs as standard base configuration. It’s more convenient that way as that’s how I will be using these. If you want something else you will need to change the jumpers on the bottom side yourself.

I’m about a week away from placing the fully built GB order - if anyone else wants an amp, please add your name to the list.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I take it this means you are far from having a populated board?

One correction to the schematic and BOM that I caught while building this was the value for R221 which sets the max current before the auto-protect kicks in. 220k is not a valid value. Use 22k for 17A (max value). Unless you want to limit it then use the table in the data sheet to set the appropriate value.

One other thing are the resistors R275/276 for the LED status lights. 1k is way too bright. I would go with maybe 4k7.

Those were the only things I noticed different from the schematic and BOM.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
One final test to get high power before I proceed with the production of assembled boards, exposed a few errors on my part. (1) there appeared to be a cold solder joint on one of the legs leading to the bootstrap cap - so I touched and reflowed that with a soldering iron. It may or may not have been a good connection.(2) I saw that my R121 was still at 220k, and so replaced it with a 22k (not sure how that happened because I made a note as if I had changed that). Replacing that fixed the problem and the amp will actually run at higher powers now without hitting the OTW/Error light.
I added a fan cooled CPU to for good measure to run at higher powers. I am able to get 25Wrms into 3.3ohms with the fan off. I used a 100ohm 1W resistor between the fan and the on-board 12vdc supply to quiet the fan down. Connecting the fan with the on-board PSU seems to generate a -100dB ground loop peak at 60Hz for some reason. Very strange as it is only connected to the on board 12v supply and analog ground. Short story is: us a larger passive heatsink or an external PSU for the fan if you must. Or attach it to a metal chassis bottom plate, as designed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The measurement of the FFT, THD, and SNR at 8.12Vrms into 3.3ohms shows 0.0021% THD and H2 and H3 about the same relative level now. This is down from 0.0026%THD previously measured at the same setting. Slight improvement. SNR is 127dB as measured.

attachment.php

Will have to drag out the big 200w 4ohm resistor to do the big power test.

Attachments

• TPA3255-with-fan-testing-01.jpg
    TPA3255-with-fan-testing-01.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 4,554
  • TPA3255-with-fan-testing-02.jpg
    TPA3255-with-fan-testing-02.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 3,187
  • TPA3255-3E-amp-8.19Vrms-3.3ohms-R121-22k.jpg
    TPA3255-3E-amp-8.19Vrms-3.3ohms-R121-22k.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 17,239
Final test shows 28.27 vrms into 4ohm load (200Wrms) is easily made without issues using the $44 SMPS.

794241d1573562561-tpa3255-diy-discussion-design-etc-a5d73f3c-af52-4a95-8847-96be8d8ad004-jpeg

Amp is now fully tested and verified to go to assembled production as balanced input BTL stereo output amps.
X, Do you have a rough estimated cost of the populated board yet. Didn't seem like there was a lot of interest to help bring down the cost.

Edit - I now see it's in the $200-250 range.

Last edited: