• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ready-to-Run (RTR) SSR DC Speaker Protection and Delay GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I figured out a quick way to test the boards using enlarged spade terminals inserted into the board. I have to solder the power input Molex KK connectors to provide the rail power. I am using my VHEX+ amp as the test amplifier and listening to music as the test. The dot on the 220uF BP cap indicates a tested unit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• RTR-SSR-Protect-Testing-01.jpg
    RTR-SSR-Protect-Testing-01.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 725
  • RTR-SSR-Protect-Testing-02.jpg
    RTR-SSR-Protect-Testing-02.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 748
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Status update on the SRR testing and shipping. I have managed to test about 3 dozen units so far. I listen to music through each one before marking a dot on top of the large BP cap (and marking "OK" on the backside with a Sharpie). The testing has revealed 3 bad units on one panel - the small VSON SMT voltage regulator appears to not be properly soldered as it is not making any 15v from the 50v input. We suspect it may be due to the placement near the large BP cap which may block some heat from the reflow oven process. So far it has been isolated to a single panel. But good that I am testing each one before sending out.

Here are the ones that have passed testing so far:
attachment.php

Here are the units taped together with a piece of foam in between and the back sides of the PCBs exposed as shields for the components on the inside faces:
attachment.php

I am hoping to ship them all out this Saturday.

Btw, the units have not been shipped out yet for anyone to test/use/hear - what's with the low 3-star rating on the thread? I think these will be excellent devices for anyone in need of a state of the art SRR protect circuit. I appreciate all of your patience in waiting for the units to be manufactured. You will have them very soon!

Attachments

• SRR-Testing-For-Shipping-01.jpg
    SRR-Testing-For-Shipping-01.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 450
  • SRR-Testing-For-Shipping-02.jpg
    SRR-Testing-For-Shipping-02.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Thanks again X for the further update, you have been busy I see.

The packing looks fine to me as well.

With regards to the faulty boards you have found - have you been able to fix them or are you going to get them replaced from the manufacturer - just interested in what happens in that situation as I assume the manufacturer has done there own testing before sending them out to you.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The manufacturer did not do any testing - they simply assemble. I think it’s fixable. The voltage regulator IC needs to be reinstalled. Probably a cold solder joint on one of the bottom facing VSON pads. There is no 15v produced so it’s pretty obvious the problem is the regulator. It takes time though so I just set them aside for now.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
SSR’s tested, packaged, and shipped. Took me 6 solid hours starting at 2am. Just a few not shipped due to addresses needing clarification.

All individually tested for functionality and each one plays music through a speaker before getting the black OK dot of approval:
attachment.php

Here is how they are wrapped with foam and Scotch Blue tape.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Waiting for envelopes:
attachment.php

Stuffed in bubble wrap mailers with extra armor tape on outside, labeled and ready for pickup:
attachment.php

I have included the matching Molex 2-pin KK shell and crimp connectors for each board in the package. It’s wrapped in blue tape so make sure you retrieve it before tossing the envelope out.

Attachments

• 55968BED-34EE-4D8A-83F1-367843757944.jpeg
    55968BED-34EE-4D8A-83F1-367843757944.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 68990B3E-ED4E-4157-925F-D9B611E894C3.jpeg
    68990B3E-ED4E-4157-925F-D9B611E894C3.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 8EC1DB40-481B-4B4B-B80F-5947F4E2C588.jpeg
    8EC1DB40-481B-4B4B-B80F-5947F4E2C588.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 18CD36E3-230A-439F-BCF4-1E823B02E9AA.jpeg
    18CD36E3-230A-439F-BCF4-1E823B02E9AA.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 422
  • B8C08ED6-9519-43AB-B87E-5163C6388E99.jpeg
    B8C08ED6-9519-43AB-B87E-5163C6388E99.jpeg
    822.9 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You're welcome, Pinocchio!

I had some time to look at the bad units, and used a hot plate and hot air pencil to pull off the voltage regulators. As i suspected, the solder joints were not fully-formed as the microscope photo of the VSON pads show:
attachment.php

I used copper braid to clean up the old solder on the board and the LDO chip. Then re-applied solder paste and placed the part back on. Reheated on a hot plate from below to 135C and applied a 280C hot air pencil from above for 20 seconds.

Tested the 3 units and they all work now. Not too hard to fix. These were the only 3 in the 96 units that I have tested thus far that were bad.

Attachments

• SRR-Bad-LDO-Solder-Microscope.jpg
    SRR-Bad-LDO-Solder-Microscope.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 423
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Tested the 3 units and they all work now. Not too hard to fix. These were the only 3 in the 96 units that I have tested thus far that were bad.

Excellent detective work X!!

I was also very happy to receive the shipping confirmation of these
Black Beauties 😁
Thanks again for all the time and efforts you, jhofland and JPS64 put into this neat and tidy protection package. Now, it’s time for us to put them to good use!

Cheers,
Vunce