• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ready-to-Run (RTR) SSR DC Speaker Protection and Delay GB

I have a Pass M2 clone by Teabag and built it with a no name speaker protection/softstart board. It has failed, so what better use of the RTR.

Mounted them this evening and all is well now.

Thanks to the XRK971 team for another great design. Must buy more!!

Attachments

• RTR.jpg
    RTR.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 401
This version of the circuit ties the speaker low side to common (ground) and shares that connection with the power used for the board so fault sensing is between the amp output and that common. Connecting it to a bridge tied output will work if, and only if, the DC level of the output is zero relative to common. It will also require using a protection circuit on both outputs.
The fix is pretty simple schematically. Separate the sensing so it is between amplifier hot and amplifier cold and is independent of the supply common. This can be done because the sensing is done optically, and is what I have done in the next generation of the circuit. The side benefit is that it only requires one protection circuit for a bridge tied load. I have not looked at the layout of the existing design with respect to the difficulty of separating common and the amp cold output and still maintaining the correct connection to the sensing circuit.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The new GB 2 boards are in. I tested a few random samples and they work. So now I need to install the 2 pin Molex KK connectors and test each one in my amp to make sure music plays. Then they can be shipped out. They are looking good though.

Just unsealed from their ESD safe bags:
attachment.php

Testing with my amp:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SSR-GB2-Delivered-01.jpg
    SSR-GB2-Delivered-01.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 773
  • SSR-GB2-Delivered-02.jpg
    SSR-GB2-Delivered-02.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 457
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
All of the RTR SSR’s have been tested, packaged and sent out. These take a lot of time to package as they are wrapped with blue tape and foam spacers. Then covered with a cardboard shield, then placed inside a bubble mailer which is then armored with extra packaging tape. I used the same method last time on GB1 and they all arrived safely and in working condition. But I ended spending like 5hrs packaging everything and putting shipping labels on all of the orders.

I do like to hear from folks when you implement these RTR SSR’s. Please share your installation or application when you end up using them.

Thanks,
X

Last edited: