• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First Watt F3 (please only EU)

Hello Carsten,

Your package has arrived. The PCBs look impressive. :D
Many thanks for all your efforts and organizing the GB.

Also thanks to Jeff Young for sharing his gerber files and off course big thanks to Nelson Pass for sharing his designs here and especially for the gift of the JFETs!

Now I need to find some long and large heatsinks ...

Regards

Stephan

Dear Jeff,
again thanks for sharing but mine is a winter project (if nothing comes between), I have a lot of hobbies (family, old car, diy audio, .... XA.25, XAxxx.8) ;-)
This year I couldn't drive my old car because I broke twice my shoulder, so no force in the arms for the steering wheel. Time to build amps, but who knows ....

Carsten,
thank you very much for taking all the trouble of organizing this GB! Package has arrived safely and looks great! Wonder, how the F3 will compare to my ACA.

Thanks a lot to Jeff and Nelson of course for making all this fun possible!
You fueled my curiosity in all that stuff!

Kindest regards
Stefan

@Shoemaker, I had my front panel laser-engraved thinking it would either be distinct enough on its own, or that I could fill it with paint.

The laser-engraving on its own isn't distinct enough in some lighting, and it's not deep enough to fill with paint. Probably should have had it milled....

Note that this is only an issue for clear-anodised front panels. I've had laser engraving done on black anodising and it looks great.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• F3-front panel.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 88
For those of you using flanged heat-sinks, here's how I mounted my JFETs:

I trimmed the legs to just cover the horizontal distance, and soldered on resistor leads to cover the vertical distance. I super-glued a small piece of brass bar behind the mounting hole to act as a fulcrum:

attachment.php

From bottom to top: polished heatsink, thermal grease, mica, thermal grease, JFET, fender washer, Belleville washer, cap screw:

attachment.php

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• progress5.jpg
    progress5.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 712
  • progress6.jpg
    progress6.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 684