• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

But don't I need dual secondaries..? Or is the flimsy little green and yellow the centertap..?

Hmmm... Yeah, the green/yellow is the shield. They're really single secondary, or at least it looks like it. If it is the case, you will need two of these for a single PSU since you require dual polarity and 0V.

Can you post a picture of the label that shows the connection diagram?

Thanks
Do

This is it:

Attachments

• IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    904.8 KB · Views: 364
I got both of my mono-blocks up and running yesterday. I'm impressed with them. I tested them using a computer with a usb soundcard as a Dac and preamp. Speakers were the Emotiva bookshelves. This setup should not have sounded good given the source but I sat in a little side room in my basement and listened for about an hour. Great resolution, soundstage depth and height and width. Resolution was amazing.

I am going to be moving on to putting these into a real chassis. They are mounted on a piece of mdf right now. I planning on putting a single led on the front panel of each mono-block. Is there an easy way to add one without making a separate circuit for it?

Check out Mark Johnson suggestion of using a simple diode like 1N4148 in series with the hot side and a resistor like 470 ohm in series with the other leg of the LED connected to your AC secondary windings should give you a simple solution of front panel LED. I think his suggestion with some photos are listed in one of the thread of Pass Labs forum section.

Check out Mark Johnson suggestion of using a simple diode like 1N4148 in series with the hot side and a resistor like 470 ohm in series with the other leg of the LED connected to your AC secondary windings should give you a simple solution of front panel LED. I think his suggestion with some photos are listed in one of the thread of Pass Labs forum section.

^ Good call. I feel like LED's are kind of an annoying exploration many undertake. I thought about making a PCB but then I was like... min order would have to be like 10 or something.

Wow, enjoying the finished amp now!

I received my amplifier from pinocchio, who did an amazing job assembling it. (See posts 150,151 in this thread.) It arrived this morning and I have been enjoying it a lot for a couple hours. The soundstage and texture/timbre is jawdropping.

Setup: Roon -> Bricasti M5 streamer -> Bricasti M1SE -> Folsom amp -> Spatial X3 speakers.

My previous amp was Avahifi's SET 120 which supposedly has the same sonics as their $2k SET 400 amp, but lower power). By comparison, Folsom's EC7293 is from another planet.

My DACs before Bricasti were Audio Gd Reference, and Chord Mojo. The difference between Folsom and SET120 feels at least as large as the difference between Bricasti M1SE and my prior dacs.

Thanks, Folsom and Pinocchio!

Info for other builders: (a) Total material cost including shipping was around $1100. (Shipping and taxes were slightly higher since Pinocchio is in Canada. Also we had some change of parts in midstream. (b) This was the chassis. The walls are quite thick, but pinocchio had the tools to work with them. Fins seem thin, but sufficient because I don't feel any rise in temperature after the amp has been playing a couple of hourse.

Last edited:
Another listening session this evening. Wow, just wow.

I listen to a lot of classical music, and also go to around 7-10 live concerts per year. So I have been on a quest to recreate some of the sense of a live event on my sound system.

With the Folsom EC 7293 (BTW Destroyer_OS perhaps you need a less techie name for this amp?) even older classical recordings sound "hi res". The details are all there in spades and yet very smooth ---no harshness. The transients are fantastic and jump-inducing, but again without harshness.

When the bass section plays (also the cello in string quartets) you can clear hear the bows rubbing against the string. On violins in string ensembles you hear the occasional string breaking just as in real life. Vocals and choirs are to die for.

Brass instruments (whether in jazz or classical)...oh don't get me started.

My wife sat down with me and listened to half a dozen pieces and turned to me and said "wow, a big improvement..."

We cued up a few pop music pieces from college days (Cure, Prince, Springsteen etc.) and had never heard those songs sound so good. The guitars are so detailed and yet so sweet.

Thanks again, Folsom and Pinnnocchio!

BTW I wanted to mention my past experiences, to provide some context for my comments above.

In the late '90s and early 00's I got interested in stereo and tried a few different types of equipment, including: (a) entry-level SimAudio integrated (b) Bottlehead tube amp (c) Tube pre and power amp (Tube Audio Design TAD150 pre + TAD 60 EL34 amp) (d) Gain clone (e) Audio Gd power amp. (f) a few dacs and transports.

Tried a few speakers, including 3 well-regarded DIY kits (Dennis Murphy, John Kreskovsky, and Selah Audio).

In 2009 settled on John K's open baffle speakers + Audio GD electronics and lived with it for over a decade.

With kids in high school or college, I had more time again and get interested in upgrading in 2019, and this Folsom amp is (hopefully) the last step.