• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

Fired up. it does have vents. resistor is 23.9.

bias at binding post is at zero so far hovering +/-. my only concern is im only getting 3.6 volts on the pvi test though, noticed my light is a little more angled than most, is that it or would it be? waiting a bit to put it on any speakers.

The receipt says warm white and I did adjust the angle on the led to be pointed straight down still at 3.6. Would it be a solder issue with the solar cells? I was feeling somewhat insecure about that connection and my voltage is a little less than half of what I should be getting.

Last edited:
Yeah, probably more heat than my other joints (I tend towards hotter and faster, but may not have done the faster thing because I am not used to surface mounts on the solar cell and may have applied a little extra solder). I also wicked it up and re-did it and that probably didn't help with excessive heat if that is an issue with these.

Should I repurchase the solar cells and start over? Guessing these will be hard to pry up.

Got my monoblocks powered up and playing with the preamp (played on a cheap thrift speaker first), all is good. Had a hum issue with the phono stage on the preamp (also built it recently without much ability to test, elekit) and my dac isn't here until tomorrow so I didn't get to test the sound quality too much but happy so far. offset is around .1 to .2 mv on both sides after letting it cook for a few hours each. PVI voltage is around 8 now. Heat sinks are running very cool, without any excessive heat anywhere else I can detect. Dead quiet running mp3 player to preamp.

Anything else I should check before playing it my system at length? I have NX Studios I bet these are going to sound amazing with.

I think you’re doing good as long as you have good chip isolation from heatsink. It’s hard to believe sometimes when things are working right, huh?

Looking forward to hearing more thoughts!

About as perfect of a combo with the NX Studios as I could imagine. It brought some needed density in the midrange (I don't consider it to be overly forward, unless the recording is especially forward in the vocals, etc.) as well as quite a bit more information in the treble and mids, as much as I'd ever want and still very easy to listen to at length. Soundstage is near perfection and still natural even in my small record packed room. Elekit preamp is cheap but very transparent and low gain, I'd consider it a good mate.

I listen to a large range of music... Jazz (anywhere from avant to duke ellington), solo guitar and folk. It all sounds great and 3d, horns to strings, etc. Paul Bleys solo jazz piano recording Open, to Love is a good test... You can hear him hum in the background to every key plucked easily in this combo.

Thanks again Destroyer for your guidance and patience with a novice.

Last edited: