• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Salas L-Adapter Board

Joined 2006
Paid Member
This thread is for a group buy for a new Salas board L-Adapter.

This regulated supply can do ~1.5 to ~20V higher current rates than previous shunt supplies offered by Salas. The board is 136mm x 63mm, 2oz copper, 2mm thick.

The amount of Digital Devices such as Raspberry Pi, wall-wart devices and DACs using lower voltage and increased current is growing and the desire for non Brick or USB power supplies has come knocking on our door for some time.

L-Adapter Technical and Build Thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/336685-adapter.html#post5761291

The Board L-Adapter USD$18 each
xjQY33d.jpg

xXzzZKR.jpg

Built up pictures

IA3z02t.jpg

VX2jZRq.jpg

fekqgk2.jpg

LED orientation
6bG4SBn.jpg

The BOM for the board is really strait forward. The Transistors do not change regardless of voltage or current. All parts are available from Mouser for those who have easy access and shipping arrangements with them. Minkits will be offered and can shipped as flats internationally for a lower shipping price than full kits. Full kits are going to be offered as well, but will demand a significantly higher shipping costs as the heatsinks and caps require package shipping internationally. Minikits and full kits ship domestically at a lower rate. The full kit based around the expected needs to power a Raspberry Pi. Some lower current devices may not need the diode heatsinks, some higher current ones will need to mount the diodes and the TO-3P transistor directly to a chassis and or heatsink.

BOM below.
L-ADAPTER BOM DiyA - Google Sheets

Why these parts were chosen Diodes, Fuse, HS
The diodes are rated up to 200V and 30A, so these are higher than the regular MSRF860 that I ship with other kits. These can handle more current, have a low vF and are fast recovery. The Fuse is slow blow version chosen via Salas that will be able to handle transients above it's 8A rating. It's being used in the Power supply as part of a CRC Filter. The heatsinks are chosen for common dissipation needs.
Higher cap values can be used than 6800uf, but may need a In-rush current limiter to avoid problems. Caps should all be 105c rated, as this unit can produce heat when being run hard!

Sign up sheet is in my signature. GB Close date is not yet chosen. Please follow thread for updates and interest.

Last edited:
Shorting plugs for lack of a better name

Tea Bag,

I didn't see in the BOM any shorting plugs for the "Headers & Wire Housings 09+09 DIL VERTICAL PIN HEADER TIN."

Can you point me in the directions of those. As I understand, they are used to adjust the output voltage by energizing the stack of LED.

Rush

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tea Bag,

I didn't see in the BOM any shorting plugs for the "Headers & Wire Housings 09+09 DIL VERTICAL PIN HEADER TIN."

Can you point me in the directions of those. As I understand, they are used to adjust the output voltage by energizing the stack of LED.

Rush

There are plenty on ebay,
Mouser techs could not find one. Find that hard to beleive.
I can put those in minikit. They are not expensive. Of course they are not essential if you just wanted to use a wire there anyways and solder it in.

Something like this.
NEW RED 10x Mini Micro Header 2.54mm 0.1" Circuit Board Shunts Short Jumper USA | eBay

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I just added 2 L adapters to the spreadsheet.

I may have accidentally added them also into vanofmonks order too. Please can you check that they are actually required by him. I think I did fill in the field on his line but not 100pc so I left them there.
Sorry ....a bit fiddly on a phone!