• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

LT4320 based active rectifier

Hello Nattawa,
I have it presently at 1.2mm. and as can be seen from the layout, there is no space to put another set of vias of 1.8mm unless I increase the size of board vertically; this may not be ideal from other user's perspective. let us have some opinions.
regards
Prasi

the additional holes don't have to line up, and there is no need of increasing the PCB size. Please see attached sketch. To recover the lost copper plane area, if concerned, Rs can rotate 90 CCW and tie to pin-1 of LT4320 instead of the small via in the current layout. Cx could then be shifted to the right slightly for best copper flooding area. Just a thought.

Attachments

• 4-MORE-HOLES.png
    4-MORE-HOLES.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 748
Hello Active bridge builders,

I was running some numbers to see if it would be worth a bulk purchase from the USA and then distribute to buyers.
The shipping cost is based on USPS international flat rate padded envelope.
Canada as an example will cost $25USD plus the envelope to ship.

This is the price breakdown of part# LT4320IN8#PBF from Mouser:
1 - $8.84
25 - $5.87
100 - $4.85

With these numbers as an example you would have to buy 6 units at $4.85 plus shipping to equal buying 6 units direct from Mouser.
If you bought 10 units @ $4.85 versus full price you save $15.
I think you would have to buy more than 14 to see significant savings.

It is strange. When I looked up Mouser.com US site, the price for 100 is 5.81 us$

Prasi, are SMD PCB PowerPAK SO-8 compatible?
Is a FET like this a good candidate?
SIRA50DP-T1-RE3 Vishay / Siliconix | Mouser

Wow! thats an amazing FET as far as Rdson is concerned. Yes, SMD version is compatible with the linked FET.
Some hints while choosing the mosfet.
1. highest Vds (depending upon your voltage application)
2. Lowest RDS(on)
3. Highest Vgs(th) (2V min!)
4. Lowest total gate charge Qg.

I will shortly share the schematic here with suggestive options of FET that I could find. One is free to choose his own fet depending upon availability, pricing, PCB compatible package , etc as long as above mentioned facts are taken care .

regards
Prasi

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Prasi, some questions/requests although I am very aware that changes only add up to the work you do. Still, better a 99% perfect design than a 98% perfect design ;)

THT version: can C1 and C4 moved a bit closer to C2 and C3 (THT version). Then there is somewhat more clearance for the PCB mount AMP spade connectors.

SMD version: can the LED and its series resistor on the SMD PCB be skipped and the required 10 uF electrolytic output cap added? There are enough power LED's in PSU's already after the regulators (in general). The 10 µF cap is more needed than a LED IMHO. The LED is also not on the THT board. Or: add pads for the 10 µF cap where the series resistor for the LED is. The suggested way in post #45 of soldering the 10 µF cap to the SMD capacitor is not good practice I think.

* I do not see the point of adding 1.8 mm holes as soldering power wiring straight to PCB's is a no no anyway according most countries regulations. The SMD version is clearly meant to replace various through hole diode bridges in existing designs so using pins to make it SIP compatible is fine. As the SMD PCB has no mounting holes soldering power wiring to a floating PCB is asking for trouble/technically undesired situations. One has the choice of using the THT version which has both mounting holes and larger pads. More sturdy, safer and more fit for the purpose.

Last edited:
Hello JP,
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I too believe 99% is way better than 98%.

THT: Here is revised version of THT. I have spaced the electro further way from faston tabs. Additionally added optional 10mm pitch spacing for 1 uF cap.

SMD: Although not very clear from the 3D model, there are pads just to the right of text C2 and just above the text C1 in image of post # 45. This is where it is intended to solder the 10uF electro.
However this will require kinking of cap's leads by the builder to create a pitch of 7.5mm. Made to stand above the board like a flag.
Since the weight of cap would be approx. 0.5gm only, I thought this would not create any problems.

To Nattawa,
The point JP is making is correct regarding safe mounting of SMD board. I tried it , vias still eat too much into copper even if i keep thin pads with 1.8mm dia. Here is how it looks.

Attachments

• LT4320-TO220-THT-LAY.png
    LT4320-TO220-THT-LAY.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 734
  • new lt toshiba.png
    new lt toshiba.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 748
Hello Active bridge builders,

I was running some numbers to see if it would be worth a bulk purchase from the USA and then distribute to buyers.
The shipping cost is based on USPS international flat rate padded envelope.
Canada as an example will cost $25USD plus the envelope to ship.

This is the price breakdown of part# LT4320IN8#PBF from Mouser:
1 - $8.84
25 - $5.87
100 - $4.85

With these numbers as an example you would have to buy 6 units at $4.85 plus shipping to equal buying 6 units direct from Mouser.
If you bought 10 units @ $4.85 versus full price you save $15.
I think you would have to buy more than 14 to see significant savings.

Your info confirmed my hunch. The shipping costs from US to other countries are not cheap, which erase the benefit of buying the chips in bulk in US :sad:

To make the GB work, I think it would have to be conducted "within one country or region" and then use regular mail (no tracking) to reship the chip to control the cost.

Regards,

To Nattawa,
The point JP is making is correct regarding safe mounting of SMD board. I tried it , vias still eat too much into copper even if i keep thin pads with 1.8mm dia. Here is how it looks.

Hi prasi,

In the amp where I intend to try the LT4320 rectifier, the PCB would be supported by the pin headers just like a regular SIL diode bridge supported by its own pins. There are no floating PCBs.

Thanks a lot for spending time trying on the added holes. But I guess I'd better design my own PCB to suit that particular need. I don't have to stick with DIP LT4320 and that would free up some space.

Wow! thats an amazing FET as far as Rdson is concerned. Yes, SMD version is compatible with the linked FET.
Some hints while choosing the mosfet.
1. highest Vds (depending upon your voltage application)
2. Lowest RDS(on)
3. Highest Vgs(th) (2V min!)
4. Lowest total gate charge Qg.

I will shortly share the schematic here with suggestive options of FET that I could find. One is free to choose his own fet depending upon availability, pricing, PCB compatible package , etc as long as above mentioned facts are taken care .

regards
Prasi

Thank you.
There are a few more impressive FETs:
1. NTMFS5C404NT1G ON Semiconductor | Mouser
2. IRFH7084TRPBF Infineon Technologies | Mouser

They cover all requirements you wrote earlier.
Not sure about package but I think they should fit too.
Although price is higher.

Thank you.
There are a few more impressive FETs:
1. NTMFS5C404NT1G ON Semiconductor | Mouser
2. IRFH7084TRPBF Infineon Technologies | Mouser

They cover all requirements you wrote earlier.
Not sure about package but I think they should fit too.
Although price is higher.

Any thing in 5 x 5mm or 5x 6mm will fit easily. (pad 1,2 , 3 are source, 4 is gate and 5,6,7,8, are drains).
For 5 x 6mm case size, I have allowed for extra pad length on PCB. So, no problems.

I had in mind something like this which is a good compromise of VDS/VGSth/RDSon and Qg.

https://www.mouser.in/datasheet/2/408/TPH2R306NH_datasheet_en_20140217-1140128.pdf

But like I said , people are free to choose their own mosfets:)

Regards
Prasi

Few advices from someone that already made over 100 ideal bridges.

Selecting the right mosfet is a challenge. You can end with a good ideal bridge or a poor one.

You must take care on following parameters:
Mosfet Vds must be above output desired output voltage.
Id - must be at least 2,5 times higher than maximum desired current under full load
For LT4320 to operate correctly mosfet threshold Voltage must be between 2 and 3V
Very important, Rdson must be as low as possible at 10V. Best under 10mohm.
Very important, Qg Gate Charge Total at 10V as low as possible. LT4320 is not able to operate even at 50Hz with a mosfet that has high Qg

1uF at 100V X7R ceramic as close to LT4320. Ceramics have big capacitance variation with voltage. Use one that has highest possible voltage.
There is no need for LED power indicator. If you use one, take care to calculate ballast resistor properly.
There is no need for electrolytic as the bridge must be near to the bank filter capacitors.

You must also know that internal mosfet diode is very important. At very first start internal diodes are conducting till output voltage reach operation level for LT4320. Internal diodes must be able to sustain entire capacitive load for a very short time. An low esr 10000uF capacitor will surge up to 10A in a very short time.

Take care !

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator: