• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

LT4320 based active rectifier

Prasi is doing a great job with this project and GB and it should be commended. Also, Lo_Tse helped with the spreadsheet.
Looking at the prices of LT4320 major savings could be gained only if we order at least 100 of each and judging by pcb order amount for each participant no one is near that number. I don't know yet what mosfets shall be utilized for smd and th boards but I suggest dip package for LT part as it's universal for both boards, of course, if anyone is willing to start GB for it. As I live in Serbia, costs involved for managing such a GB from here would be prohibitive as I can't import that amount of merchandize as a private person and doing it over third party will negate cost savings we could achieve.
If possible it should be somebody from the US... Anyway, it's just a proposal as not many different components are involved and some part of the savings could go to this great forum.
Cheers!

I cannot take the credit. It was my fellow Canadian nattawa who set up the spreadsheet.

Regards,

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'm a bit confused. Are there any major functional differences between the SMD and THT versions? I thought that the THT version was simply made as a favour to accomodate people not confident in soldering surface mount component...

But if so, why does the vast majority of the subscribers order both types:confused:

What am I missing?

Hello Nic,
there are no functional differences between SMD version and THT version.
Its only easy of build of THT versus compactness and replacement of sip-4 rectifiers of smd. the oly major difference is soldering of SMD mosfets versus TO-220 mosfets for the 2 versions.

However, as far as chip (LT4320) is concerned both versiosns (SMD and THT) have the possibility of soldering DIP-08 LT4320 .
This is where miksi suggests us to include dip-08 chip as a part of group buy so as to lower build cost for every gb subscriber.
hope this clears confusion.

Regards
Prasi

Perfectly clear thanks!
However, I still don't understand why almost everybody want both versions...
For an accompanying LT4320 GB I'm all in as long as it saves money:)

For example you can mount THT version on a perforated board of modushop chasis + solder faston blade connectors and easy swap GBPC type bridge rectifiers.
I personaly want SMD version for Prasi's CRCRC PSU boards.

Thanks for correction Lo_Tse.
Sorry nattawa, I actually read diyaudio email notification on my phone waiting for traffic light to go green.
Digikey, at the moment, has LT4320IN8 priced $8.85 for 1 and $4.511 for 500 pcs, but $5.88 for 25 pcs which also is not bad for those of you who'd like to buy for all the boards ordered(at least 12-13 pcb pairs if you don't want to deal with surplus). Mind you, many of us will not order LTs for all pcbs because prasi got a very good price and it's easy to get carried away if you don't consider further costs to populate these boards.
Regarding mosfets, they could be in the same GB but that's maybe pushing it a bit...
PS: English is not my default language so be free to correct me if some of my writings doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Prasi, SMD-4 pairs, THT-5 pairs
gary s, THT- 5 pairs.
Fab, THT-6 pairs, SMD-2 pairs
danny_66, THT-10 pairs, SMD-5 pairs
Cerole, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Lo_Tse, SMD - 2 pairs, THT - 5 pairs
av-trouvaille, THT - 10 pairs
manniraj, THT - 8 pairs
listener42, THT - 4 pairs
Pinnocchio, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
Touchdown, THT - 4 pairs, SMD - 4 pairs
RainfallSky, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4g pairs
s610adam, THT-10 Pairs
Jean-Paul, SMD- 4 pairs, THT- 4 pairs
Pella1, SMD-10 pairs, THT - 4 pairs
C37, THT -6 pairs
jameshillj, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Project16, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
windwardmt, SMD-4 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Tandren, SMD-4 pairs, THD-4 pairs
tborzic, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4 pairs
ravid, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4 pairs
TungstenAudio, SMD-2 pairs, THT-6 pairs
Roundtoit, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
potepuh, SMD - 6 pairs , THT - 2 pairs
hicoco, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
Arthur, SMD -20 pairs THT-10 pairs
Vunce, THT - 5 pairs
ste, THT- 5 pairs
MD_Stryker, SMD-10 pairs
miksi, SMD - 10 pairs THT - 6 pairs
JJGB, SMD -8 pairs, THT -4 pairs
audiorasp, SMD- 10pair, THT- 10pair
SigFire, THT 4 pairs
Ernesternest, THT 4 pairs, SMS 4 pairs
Kokanee, THT - 20 pairs, SMD - 10 pairs. Will PM on shipping.
Mituisho, THT 4 pairs, SMD 4 pairs
zumac9, THT 4 pairs, SMD 5 pairs
androa76 THT 2 pairs, Smd 4 pairs
nattawa, THT - 2 pairs, SMD - 2 pairs
Johnny Canuck, SMD - 4 pairs, THT - 4 pairs
NicMac, SMD - 8 pairs
JimS, SMD- 5 pairs, THT - 6 pairs
palmito, THT 4 pairs, SMS 4 pairs
ojg, SMD 2 pairs, THT 2 pairs
aud1out, SMD-4 pairs, THT-6 pairs
vgeorge THT 5 pairs, SMD 5 pairs
Georg Kovalcik THT 8 pairs
taccodude THT 4 Pairs, SMD 2 Pairs
Malvin THT 2 Pairs, SMD - 6 pairs

Prasi is doing a great job with this project and GB and it should be commended. Also, Lo_Tse helped with the spreadsheet.
Looking at the prices of LT4320 major savings could be gained only if we order at least 100 of each and judging by pcb order amount for each participant no one is near that number. I don't know yet what mosfets shall be utilized for smd and th boards but I suggest dip package for LT part as it's universal for both boards, of course, if anyone is willing to start GB for it. As I live in Serbia, costs involved for managing such a GB from here would be prohibitive as I can't import that amount of merchandize as a private person and doing it over third party will negate cost savings we could achieve.
If possible it should be somebody from the US... Anyway, it's just a proposal as not many different components are involved and some part of the savings could go to this great forum.
Cheers!

I did a quick check and collected some info.

- There are two P-DIP packages ==> LT4320HN8#PBF (0-60 Hz) and LT4320HN8-1#PBF (0-600 Hz). The only difference between the two is the operating frequency range.
- For LT4320, the price from AD is probably the best (as expected) as compare to Digikey and Mouser.
- Currently (for AD) LT4320HN8-1#PBF (0-600 Hz) is back order till September, whereas LT4320HN8#PBF (0-60 Hz) has more than 1000 in stock.
- Although AD charge shipping and the other 2 vendors do not, the shipping cost is low (18 US to ship to Canada for upto 500 pieces) as compare to the cost of goods.
- AD's price for LT4320HN8#PBF (0-60 Hz) is 5.19 US$ (for 100 pieces) and 6.10 US$ (for 50 pieces). LT4320HN8-1#PBF (0-600 Hz) is slightly more expensive at 5.54 US$ (100 pieces) and 6.51 (50 pieces). The purchase has to be a multiple of 50.

Regards,

I tried to find out the possibility of obtaining the chip here in India, but none of the sites operating from India (in.element14, in.rsdelivers) have it presently.
Stock is available only on mouser (limited) and digikey (1000 qty). Getting it from mouser / digikey and then reshipping is not practical due to shipping and customs duties involved.

So as posted by miksi and Lo, it would be 'ideal' if someone from US does it, so as to get a very good price for the chip.

Prasi, SMD-4 pairs, THT-5 pairs
gary s, THT- 5 pairs.
Fab, THT-6 pairs, SMD-2 pairs
danny_66, THT-10 pairs, SMD-5 pairs
Cerole, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Lo_Tse, SMD - 2 pairs, THT - 5 pairs
av-trouvaille, THT - 10 pairs
manniraj, THT - 8 pairs
listener42, THT - 4 pairs
Pinnocchio, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
Touchdown, THT - 4 pairs, SMD - 4 pairs
RainfallSky, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4g pairs
s610adam, THT-10 Pairs
Jean-Paul, SMD- 4 pairs, THT- 4 pairs
Pella1, SMD-10 pairs, THT - 4 pairs
C37, THT -6 pairs
jameshillj, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Project16, SMD-5 pairs, THT-5 pairs
windwardmt, SMD-4 pairs, THT-5 pairs
Tandren, SMD-4 pairs, THD-4 pairs
tborzic, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4 pairs
ravid, SMD-4 pairs, THT-4 pairs
TungstenAudio, SMD-2 pairs, THT-6 pairs
Roundtoit, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
potepuh, SMD - 6 pairs , THT - 2 pairs
hicoco, SMD - 4 pairs , THT - 4 pairs
Arthur, SMD -20 pairs THT-10 pairs
Vunce, THT - 5 pairs
ste, THT- 5 pairs
MD_Stryker, SMD-10 pairs
miksi, SMD - 10 pairs THT - 6 pairs
JJGB, SMD -8 pairs, THT -4 pairs
audiorasp, SMD- 10pair, THT- 10pair
SigFire, THT 4 pairs
Ernesternest, THT 4 pairs, SMS 4 pairs
Kokanee, THT - 20 pairs, SMD - 10 pairs. Will PM on shipping.
Mituisho, THT 4 pairs, SMD 4 pairs
zumac9, THT 4 pairs, SMD 5 pairs
androa76 THT 2 pairs, Smd 4 pairs
nattawa, THT - 2 pairs, SMD - 2 pairs
Johnny Canuck, SMD - 4 pairs, THT - 4 pairs
NicMac, SMD - 8 pairs
JimS, SMD- 5 pairs, THT - 6 pairs
palmito, THT 4 pairs, SMS 4 pairs
ojg, SMD 2 pairs, THT 2 pairs
aud1out, SMD-4 pairs, THT-6 pairs
vgeorge THT 5 pairs, SMD 5 pairs
Georg Kovalcik THT 8 pairs
taccodude THT 4 Pairs, SMD 2 Pairs
Malvin THT 2 Pairs, SMD - 6 pair
nautibuoy THT 2 pairs, SMD - 4 pairs

I have taken the sheet by nattawa and sharing it via my google drive.
I have updated it to reflect latest quantity and list.
Go to the end of list for remaining quantity.
I will stop taking any more orders for now.

I have also marked "yes/ no" against users whose address and paypal I already have.
Request others to send me their paypal and address at their convenience via PM.

Here is the link
group list qty_new - Google Sheets

Regards
Prasi

I tried to find out the possibility of obtaining the chip here in India, but none of the sites operating from India (in.element14, in.rsdelivers) have it presently.
Stock is available only on mouser (limited) and digikey (1000 qty). Getting it from mouser / digikey and then reshipping is not practical due to shipping and customs duties involved.

So as posted by miksi and Lo, it would be 'ideal' if someone from US does it, so as to get a very good price for the chip.

Yeah, looks that way. Buying in the US is probably the least expensive (sale tax is low too). However, the cost associated with resending from US to different parts of the world may not be cheap, depending on the method of shipping(shipping with or without tracking, USPS or courier). But I think it still might work. Let's give it some thoughts. Would anyone based in the US like to comment?

Regards,

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hello Active bridge builders,

I was running some numbers to see if it would be worth a bulk purchase from the USA and then distribute to buyers.
The shipping cost is based on USPS international flat rate padded envelope.
Canada as an example will cost $25USD plus the envelope to ship.

This is the price breakdown of part# LT4320IN8#PBF from Mouser:
1 - $8.84
25 - $5.87
100 - $4.85

With these numbers as an example you would have to buy 6 units at $4.85 plus shipping to equal buying 6 units direct from Mouser.
If you bought 10 units @ $4.85 versus full price you save $15.
I think you would have to buy more than 14 to see significant savings.

Hi prasi, What size are the holes on the SMD board for the wiring? It seems these holes are purposed for right-angle pin headers, and 1.1 mm ID would be good enough. However there are chances (me at least) the power trans secondary wires, awg #16 be directly soldered to the board, which would require ID 1.8 mm holes. Could a set of holes of such size be made available? Thanks!