• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

LT4320 based active rectifier

Thank you Prasi.

Can you please advise on soldering the TH LT4320 directly on to the PCB vs using a socket?

I was looking up DIP 2 row 8 pin socket and saw the amp rating was only 1A. Wouldn't that be too low for the LT4320?

LT4320 is just gate controller and doesnt need high amperage.
All high current flow happens between source and drain of mosfets.
Socket makes it easy to remove and replace the chip if required in future.
Believe me, replacing an DIP IC soldered directly to PCB is PIA without proper tools and support of another person.

SMD and THT rectifier only boards

tomtest: SMD: 10 pairs, THT 5 Pairs
wgh52: SMD 18 pairs, THT 16 pairs
randytsuch = SMD 2 pairs , THT 3 pairs
alazira: THT 6 pairs
grufti = SMD 4 pairs
Destroyer OS THT= 4 PAIRS

Total : 34 pairs SMD , 34 pairs THT

LT4320 based CRC PSU PCBs

vvs07 = 4 nos.
randytsuch = 2 nos.
tubesguy = 2 nos.
windwardmt = 4 nos.
alazira = 2 nos
grufti = 2 nos

total 16 nos.

LT4320 is just gate controller and doesnt need high amperage.
All high current flow happens between source and drain of mosfets.
Socket makes it easy to remove and replace the chip if required in future.
Believe me, replacing an DIP IC soldered directly to PCB is PIA without proper tools and support of another person.

Prasi,

Very helpful - thank you for the guidance.

For MOSFET, will probably go for IPP040N06NAKSA1, one of choices listed by danny_66:

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Thank you Prasi.

Can you please advise on soldering the TH LT4320 directly on to the PCB vs using a socket?

I was looking up DIP 2 row 8 pin socket and saw the amp rating was only 1A. Wouldn't that be too low for the LT4320?

Hi Zman,

I use dip8 sockets for all my LT4320 based psu’s. Reason being is the are pricey little fellas at $10 a piece. I can remove them from inactive components and install them into the currently used component. Doing this, I really only need 6 LT4320’s. But you must be very careful with removal/install and it does get to be a PITA :)
Sometimes my ‘frugal-ness’ gets the better of me, LOL!

I understood that the snubbers were still being recommended

Of course they are, people love repeating mantras :) I see no spikes at all on the scope with the 4320, yet have issues using these rectifiers in very low noise applications.

For some reason there are several commercial/gb threads on the 4320 running atm but not even one where the operation specifics are being discussed. Says lots about general diyers mentality. Having a technical discussion inside a GB thread is just too annoying.

Prasi,

Very helpful - thank you for the guidance.

For MOSFET, will probably go for IPP040N06NAKSA1, one of choices listed by danny_66:

For now I collect list of probably compatible THT FET's for LT4320.
Maybe you will find some interesting:

Infineon Technologies IPP029N06NAKSA1 (60V, 100A, Vgs(th) 2.1V, RDS(on) 2.7 mOhms, Qg 66 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/726-IPP029N06NAKSA1

Infineon Technologies IPP029N06N (60V, 100A, Vgs(th) 2.1V, RDS(on) 2.7 mOhms, Qg 66 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/IPP029N06N

Infineon Technologies IPI029N06NAKSA1 (60V, 100A, Vgs(th) 2.1V, RDS(on) 2.7 mOhms, Qg 66 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/IPI029N06NAKSA1

Infineon Technologies IPP040N06NAKSA1 (60V, 80A, Vgs(th) 2.1V, RDS(on) 3.6 mOhms, Qg 44 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/IPP040N06NAKSA1

ON Semiconductor / Fairchild FDP045N10A-F102 (100V, 120A, Vgs(th) 4V, RDS(on) 3.8 mOhms, Qg 57 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/FDP045N10A-F102

ON Semiconductor / Fairchild FDI045N10A-F102 (100V, 120A, Vgs(th) 4V, RDS(on) 3.8 mOhms, Qg 57 nC)
https://mouser.com/ProductDetail/FDI045N10A-F102

Last edited:
Of course they are, people love repeating mantras :) I see no spikes at all on the scope with the 4320, yet have issues using these rectifiers in very low noise applications.

For some reason there are several commercial/gb threads on the 4320 running atm but not even one where the operation specifics are being discussed. Says lots about general diyers mentality. Having a technical discussion inside a GB thread is just too annoying.

So what issues are you having? What are your "low noise applications"? Are they audio related? I assume problems in low-noise applications means you are seeing some kind of noise--could you explain?
Thanks,
Ron

All assembled and mounted in 4u chassis, delivering a constant 26v (with no load). Just got the Aleph J boards to assemble and test now!

Attachments

• IMG_20191214_150717.jpg
    IMG_20191214_150717.jpg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 456
Reactions: 1 user

Hello analog_sa,
It's a good info that should have been posted ago.
Mantras are always worth repeating whether you find them useful or not, they give you peace of mind.... Much more important, I dare say. Peace...
Regards
Prasi

adding wlowes to the list

SMD and THT rectifier only boards

tomtest: SMD: 10 pairs, THT 5 Pairs
wgh52: SMD 18 pairs, THT 16 pairs
randytsuch = SMD 2 pairs , THT 3 pairs
alazira: THT 6 pairs
grufti = SMD 4 pairs
Destroyer OS THT= 4 PAIRS
wlowes - SMD 3 pairs

Total : 37 pairs SMD , 34 pairs THT