• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The SLB (Smooth Like Butter) Active Rect/CRC/Cap Mx Class A Power Supply GB

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just wanted to remind folks that if they are interested in a state of the art implementation of the ACA, JPS64 has a very nice board already made and ready to go. Of course, with the signature JPS64 via stitching and impeccable star ground strategy. One can pair this with the already available and proven SLB Single Rail PSU, and you have a superb SE Class A solution. The SLB uses an Aksa developed CFP topology cap Mx, which has been shown to achieve 1mV rms ripple at a load of 3A and 37v.

628919d1501926035-gb-pass-aca_pcb-final-jpg

Plus the SLB SR PSU:
754794d1557149681-slb-smooth-butter-active-rect-crc-cap-mx-class-power-supply-gb-slb-sr-pcb-top-view-png

The SLB SR is convenient in that it has flying leads with quick connect to allow easy mounting of the power transistor. Also, two boards makes for more flexible mounting options.

Last edited:
Recent test of SLB SR with an 8ohm 100w dummy load, powered with one secondary from an Antek AS-3222. Produces 25.5v at 3.2A with under 1mV rms ripple. Setup shown has 2SA1943 on an external heatsink and flying lead via Molex and silicone RC car wire. Noise on red scale is RF noise pickup as can be seen in second scope shop with everything powered off. I am using a small ferrite core inductor to remove some of the RF noise pickup at the probe-tip.

Hi X, just looking back through this thread (which I've only just picked up on).

Is this very low level of ripple achieved with R17/18 being 10R (as originally specified) ... or the 1R5 subsequently recommended?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Sometimes an amp designed for +/-24v when operated at higher voltages will exhibit a change in the harmonic distortion profile. It may have lower overall distortion but higher relative H3/H2. Lower voltage may have higher H2/H3, hence sweeter sound.

Hi X,

After reading your above comment, I thought I would see if I could get the comparison H2 & H3 figures from Hugh's LTspice schematics for the 4R (+/-20v) and 8R (+/-27v) versions of the Alpha Nirvana.

What I found was this (at just below clipping):

* 4R: H1 = 1.0 | H2 = 0.000172 | H3 = 0.0000772

* 8R: H1 = 1.0 | H2 = 0.000536 | H3 = 0.000567.

So the lower-voltage version has lower H2 & H3???

Andy

md_Stryker,

Thanks for making the BOM/shopping cart for us. To folks wishing to use this BOM/shopping cart - please save as your own project before modifying it, else stuff gets deleted/changed for everyone clicking on this link.

X

I can't see how to save it as my own project, X (which I need to do as I want the parts for 4x SLBs - not just 1).

Can you advise?

Andy

Hi Andy.

Click on the link X has shown to open the Mouser project, then you need to Login to your Mouser account (if you don't have an account, then you need to register which is easy). Once you are logged in, you then simply select the "Save as my own Project" tab up near the top right hand side of the screen. Once saved you then can look at your saved projects under your account heading and then modify / add to the project as you see fit.

When you are finished then select the Order Project tab to finish the checkout with your new project. All projects created will appear under your account unless you delete any you don't need in the future - so when adding any new items, make sure you select your current project to add new items to.

For the project X has linked once saved, you just need to change quantity's where required and update the project as you go. Also up at the top of the screen you can change the currency from USD to AUD if you wish and the project will automatically update. I always pick free FedEx shipping with orders over $60.00 AUD, and they just about always deliver here in 5 to 6 days from order.

Hope that helps, Mouser's web site is easy to use.

Cheers,

Gary..

Hi Andy.

Click on the link X has shown to open the Mouser project, then you need to Login to your Mouser account (if you don't have an account, then you need to register which is easy). Once you are logged in, you then simply select the "Save as my own Project" tab up near the top right hand side of the screen. Once saved you then can look at your saved projects under your account heading and then modify / add to the project as you see fit.

When you are finished then select the Order Project tab to finish the checkout with your new project. All projects created will appear under your account unless you delete any you don't need in the future - so when adding any new items, make sure you select your current project to add new items to.

For the project X has linked once saved, you just need to change quantity's where required and update the project as you go. Also up at the top of the screen you can change the currency from USD to AUD if you wish and the project will automatically update. I always pick free FedEx shipping with orders over $60.00 AUD, and they just about always deliver here in 5 to 6 days from order.

Hope that helps, Mouser's web site is easy to use.

Cheers,

Gary..

Thanks very much, Gary. :)

Have done this - and changed the file name. Now I will update the BoM with my volumes - plus make a couple of changes (like R17/18 = 2R2, rather than 10 ohms).

Interestingly enough, currency has automatically come up in A$!

Andy

Last edited:
Nice to hear all that worked for you Andy. The currency will change to AUD when you use the Mouser/au website based in HK, but the goods will still be delivered from their US warehouse. I find FedEx has quicker delivery than UPS (both are free when the order value is over $60.00 aud).

Hi X (or Gary!),

I've been through the Mouser 'Project' that md_Stryker referenced in post #306, in order to create my own shipping cart for 4x SLBs.

I found this error in it:
* although D1 and D2 are both explicitly listed under 'Customer No.' ... somehow, the Order Qty only lists '1'! :( This needs to be '2'.

For other people's reference, are you able to fix this?

I also found a problem which I'm hoping you can advise me how to solve:
* C5/6, C9/10 and C11/12 - 1uF Wimas - are out of stock.

So how do I find the Mouser part number for a suitable alternative product?

Finally, the standard BoM has C7/8/13/14 all the same - 85 deg, 15KuF caps.
If I want to replace C7/8 with 105 deg versions ... how do I discover the Mouser part number for this item?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy.

Just a simple search for the product should open a page where you can apply filters to find required product. For instance, where you mention the Wima caps out of stock, you can search all brands, or change the voltage spec while specifying the size and lead spacing. Same for the electro caps - just look for uF and voltage rating but apply the filter for 105 deg C rating instead of 85 degC.

All very simple when you get the hang of it.

Cheers

Gary..

Hi Andy.

Just a simple search for the product should open a page where you can apply filters to find required product. For instance, where you mention the Wima caps out of stock, you can search all brands, or change the voltage spec while specifying the size and lead spacing. Same for the electro caps - just look for uF and voltage rating but apply the filter for 105 deg C rating instead of 85 degC.

All very simple when you get the hang of it.

Cheers

Gary..

Thanks, Gary - will try this, later today.

Andy

Andy,

As X has pointed out the CDE SLPX 15,000uF 50VDC 85 degC caps have a ripple current rating of 6.56 Amps at 120Hz with an ESR of 0.031 ohms.

If you want to use 105 deg C rated caps you most likely will have to use a higher value of cap (18,000 or 22,000 uF) to get the same ripple current rating or more, and more than likely use a different manufacturer as well.

You will need to do some homework searching at Mouser using the filters to see what is available. If too much of an issue, just stick with the selected cap, as the internal temp inside the case will not get anywhere near the 85 deg C cap temp rating.

Gary..

The 15,000uF cap was also selected for its ripple current rating. Make sure the 105C cap has at least as good ripple rating.

Andy,

As X has pointed out the CDE SLPX 15,000uF 50VDC 85 degC caps have a ripple current rating of 6.56 Amps at 120Hz with an ESR of 0.031 ohms.

If you want to use 105 deg C rated caps you most likely will have to use a higher value of cap (18,000 or 22,000 uF) to get the same ripple current rating or more, and more than likely use a different manufacturer as well.

You will need to do some homework searching at Mouser using the filters to see what is available. If too much of an issue, just stick with the selected cap, as the internal temp inside the case will not get anywhere near the 85 deg C cap temp rating.

Gary..

Thanks, guys.

The 105 deg / 15000uF caps only have a 4.8a rating ... so I will stick with the 85 deg caps.

Particularly as I intend to use CPU coolers on each output MOSFET - so the temperature inside the case shouldn't get up to 42 deg!

But it would be nice to know, X, whether the first cap in each CRC really does get any hotter than the second. Can you put your finger on them, when loud music is playing?

Thanks,

Andy